Does Dan Actually S...

Notifications
Clear all

Does Dan Actually Suffer From Acne?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 10/03/2013 1:35 pm

I appreciate this might go unanswered, but I had a brainwave and just want to throw this out there.

Does Dan actually suffer from Acne Vulgaris anymore?

I know when he stops using BP he gets little red spots, but that doesn't necessarily equate to Acne Vulgaris. Acne Vulgaris is defined by the presence of comedones. No comedones = no Acne Vulgaris.

Correct me if I am wrong - and I am happy to be wrong - but Dan's "Acne" affects his chin and cheeks?

I put it to you that what Dan is actually experiencing is Pseudofolliculitis barbae?

For the avoidance of doubt, PFB is caused by shaving and abstaining from shaving is curative, (Kligman, 1993).

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1071251-clinical

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-97234-8_68 #

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 10/03/2013 1:36 pm

I highly doubt it. Could be wrong though.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 10/03/2013 1:46 pm

He still does, although the regimen prevents it. Since he's used it for so long it would probably take a while for full-blown acne to reappear, but from what I have heard it was pretty severe. Cystic I believe. Not entirely sure.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 10/03/2013 2:26 pm

He still does, although the regimen prevents it. Since he's used it for so long it would probably take a while for full-blown acne to reappear, but from what I have heard it was pretty severe. Cystic I believe. Not entirely sure.

Many thanks for your reply LewisS.

Just to clarify;

• I am not suggesting Dan never had Acne Vulgaris.
  • I am not suggesting Dan doesn't get red spots when he stops using BP.

What I am questioning however, is;

• Does Dan does still get comedones? (Specifically on the upper half of the face)

What I am suggesting is;

• Dan has Pseudofolliculitis barbae and not Acne Vulgaris.

Because clinically, No comedones = No Acne Vulgaris.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 10/03/2013 4:22 pm

Brandy let me know people were asking about me in this thread, so I figured I'd weigh in.

Yes, unfortunately, I still break out if I slack off on The Regimen. My family genetics make for recalcitrant acne way into adulthood, which include comedones, whiteheads, and regular old pustules. Blackheads are not a big concern. Dealing with acne as an adult for me is a curse yet a blessing because it allows me to continually test products and be a guinea pig for stuff.

I do not have Pseudofolliculitis barbae. My neck is perfectly smooth and has no issues most of the time.

I do not tend to break out on my forehead much, but then again, I haven't since middle school when I used to scrub my forehead feverishly and cause it to react with tons of bumps. As soon as I relented on how vigorously I scrubbed, my forehead treated me pretty well. Even when my acne was at its most severe, it tended to be on my nose, chin, temples, neck, and body. My cheeks and forehead were spared from the worst of it.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 10/04/2013 12:41 pm

Brandy let me know people were asking about me in this thread, so I figured I'd weigh in.

Yes, unfortunately, I still break out if I slack off on The Regimen. My family genetics make for recalcitrant acne way into adulthood, which include comedones, whiteheads, and regular old pustules. Blackheads are not a big concern. Dealing with acne as an adult for me is a curse yet a blessing because it allows me to continually test products and be a guinea pig for stuff.

I do not have Pseudofolliculitis barbae. My neck is perfectly smooth and has no issues most of the time.

I do not tend to break out on my forehead much, but then again, I haven't since middle school when I used to scrub my forehead feverishly and cause it to react with tons of bumps. As soon as I relented on how vigorously I scrubbed, my forehead treated me pretty well. Even when my acne was at its most severe, it tended to be on my nose, chin, temples, neck, and body. My cheeks and forehead were spared from the worst of it.

Really appreciate the reply thanks. And thanks for your awesome products.

To me, it still sounds like you might be experiencing PFB. I also have a perfectly smooth neck, but I still suffer from chronic PFB on my cheeks / chin. As I'm sure you already know, PFB is much rarer in whites (approx 10% prevalence) and is often misdiagnosed as Acne Vulgaris - which it mimics very closely. As you know, PFB can occur on any hair baring skin that is shaved.

I don't want to cause a fuss, but the lack of blackheads, sparing of the forehead (and nose? and lack of sebum?), does suggest PFB involvement.

If you ever decide to grow a beard sometime, please let us know how it goes, I for one would love to hear what happens.

Thanks