Moisturiser Burning...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturiser Burning My Face Even 4 Months In! Is This Normal?

MemberMember
(@blumess)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:19 pm

Hi,

I've been doing the regimen since March/April.

My skin stings a tiny bit when applying the full amount of Benzoyl Peroxide, but when I put moisturiser on after 15 minutes, my face BURNS! It goes bright red and itchy, even after 4 months of doing this treatment! I've tried different moisturisers but the same thing happens. Is this normal? I'm almost certain that this irritation from applying moisturiser is what's causing me to break out.

What should I do? I'd really appreciate some suggestions. Is there a moisturiser which doesn't cause this burning?

Thank you so much

Moisturiser: Boots Mens Normal/Dry Moisturiser with SPF 15. No comedogenic ingredients, no AHA.

Benzoyl peroxide: Quinoderm 5%. The only option for me in the UK

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:25 pm

Hmm I would expect the burning effect to have been toned down a lot more than this 4 months into the Regimen and I suspect the 5% BP might be to blame. Did you know you can get Benzac 2.5% water-based gel on Amazon UK? I wouldn't be surprised if you could also get it in Boots or Superdrug pharmacies so you could ask. Might be worth looking into as I'm sure it would reduce your irritation. Also have you been using any jojoba oil mixed into your moisturiser? This stuff's really great for helping to calm the skin down a bit when you're on the Regimen. You can get some from Holland and Barretts stores if you haven't tried it already :)

BluMess liked
MemberMember
(@blumess)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:33 pm

Hmm I would expect the burning effect to have been toned down a lot more than this 4 months into the Regimen and I suspect the 5% BP might be to blame. Did you know you can get Benzac 2.5% water-based gel on Amazon UK? I wouldn't be surprised if you could also get it in Boots or Superdrug pharmacies so you could ask. Might be worth looking into as I'm sure it would reduce your irritation. Also have you been using any jojoba oil mixed into your moisturiser? This stuff's really great for helping to calm the skin down a bit when you're on the Regimen. You can get some from Holland and Barretts stores if you haven't tried it already smile.png

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that, Quinoderm 5 have been the only things available in all the major pharmacies. Do you think the 2.5% will be less effective though?

I will pop into Holland and Barrett on Wednesday and pick up some jojoba oil then, I haven't tried it yet. Thanks very much for the recommendation! Hopefully it will soothe my skin down

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:43 pm

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that, Quinoderm 5 have been the only things available in all the major pharmacies. Do you think the 2.5% will be less effective though?

I will pop into Holland and Barrett on Wednesday and pick up some jojoba oil then, I haven't tried it yet. Thanks very much for the recommendation! Hopefully it will soothe my skin down

Ah right it may be that you can only get it on Amazon then. I've not tried it myself but it looks very similar to the Panoxyl 2.5 I used to use before they discontinued it. I definitely think reducing it to 2.5% will reduce the irritation and burning effect on your skin.

In terms of being less effective, it definitely shouldn't be in the long run. I believe most trials show the effectiveness to be little different between the 2.5%, 5%, and 10% but the irritation obviously increases with the percentage. You might notice some change while your skin becomes accustomed to the new one though so I'd recommend maybe alternating them for a week or so to let your skin adapt more gradually to the new percentage. I think it will definitely help you though because the Regimen is intense enough for your skin without adding in higher percentages of BP.

Yeh jojoba oil's a real godsend when you're on the Regimen. You can just mix a few drops in with your moisturiser and it kind of makes it into a super-moisturiser haha. Should definitely help to calm your skin down a bit. Good luck!

BluMess liked
MemberMember
(@blumess)

Posted : 08/12/2013 1:19 pm

Ok then, thanks so much for all this new information!

I think first off I'll get some jojoba oil and try adding it to my moisturiser and see how that goes for a week. If it resolves the burning problem I think I'll stick with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, simply because it's cheaper and easier to get hold of. If it doesn't, I'll get some 2.5% off Amazon and follow your advice of making the change gradually.

You're an absolute star, thanks a lot! If there are any other problems I'll be sure to ask ^^

Best wishes for your own acne treatment!
MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/12/2013 1:31 pm

Ok then, thanks so much for all this new information!

I think first off I'll get some jojoba oil and try adding it to my moisturiser and see how that goes for a week. If it resolves the burning problem I think I'll stick with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, simply because it's cheaper and easier to get hold of. If it doesn't, I'll get some 2.5% off Amazon and follow your advice of making the change gradually.

You're an absolute star, thanks a lot! If there are any other problems I'll be sure to ask ^^

Best wishes for your own acne treatment!

No problem! That sounds like a very sensible plan to me and thank you smile.png Hope it goes well for you too!

BluMess liked