Breaking Through Th...

Notifications
Clear all

Breaking Through The Giving Up Stage

MemberMember
(@lovezero)

Posted : 04/23/2013 1:49 pm

I'll have been on the regimen for four weeks on Thursday and I've gotten to the point where I want to give up...any suggestions would be much appreciated...

I'll give you a bit of history first, I have acne that ranges from mild to severe at times but it has always been troublesome seeing as I'm 22 and havent had a completely clear skin day since I was 11! I've pretty much tried all treatments except accutane (because I'm too scared of the side effects) and then I heard about this regimen from YouTube and thought I have to try it! I had a few weeks to do my research whilst waiting for dan's benzoyl peroxide to come down so got very familiar with the routine and what to expect.

I thought the first couple of weeks would be hell and then it would get better, but no. I'm still experiencing so much dryness that my face feels like its going to crack and yet it's still shiny! I'm very flaky, it still burns on occasions when putting on the moisturiser and can still be quite red..my main trouble though is the tightness and the way my make up looks on my skin. I have not gone out the house without face makeup on for the last 7 years so I can't see me being brave enough to try it now! I'm using bare minerals powder but I don't know if there are better options for foundation? I can't get Almay where I live which is what dan suggests .

My routine at the moment is...

Take makeup off with bare hands and jojoba oil

Cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleanser (10 secs)

Apply jojoba oil, leave to sink in 5 mins, wipe off gently with flannel (I saw this tip on the forum to help with flakes?)

Apply dans benzoyl peroxide...gradually increased over the weeks so up to 1 and a half pumps morning and night

Leave to dry 5-10 mins

Mist face with water spray to dampen slightly

Apply cetaphil lotion (at night with about 8 drops off jojoba added in)

And I just got down my aha lotion yesterday so did a test patch mixed in with some moisturiser on my neck and it seems ok! Should I now put this all over my face at night?

Any advice to help with dryness would be much appreciated, my tight, flaky, but shiny skin was so awful today I didn't even want to look at anyone! Thanks guys

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 04/23/2013 2:12 pm

CeraVe lotion has more of a matte finish than jojoba oil or Cetaphil lotion, which might help with shininess, and Eucerin Redness Relief has a slight green tint that tones down redness.

For redness on my face, I pre-mix CeraVe and the Eucerin product at a 10 to 1 ratio because the Eucerin by itself has too much artificial color, and I've found a little bit goes a long way.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/23/2013 8:34 pm

During the 3rd and 4th week were the hardest times for me doing the regimen. I experienced the same things as you. Redness, flakey skin and it sting in putting on moisturizer. Don't give up though! Give it more time to do its magic. Sharing with you pics to my regimen story.

Oh, and use the AHA. It does wonders! I mix it in with my moisturizer every night with a few drops of jojoba oil. But do this maybe after the first month. And don't forget the sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@lovezero)

Posted : 04/24/2013 3:27 pm

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can find those brands where am I..we have a bit of a limited selection! :)

Wow your results are amazing! Even after another awful skin day you've made me want to carry on, did the flakiness go away as soon as you started using the AHA? I'm tempted to try a little bit mixed in with moisturiser tonight. I can't even wear make up today my face is so so dry...but still super shiny! Does the oiliness ever go?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/24/2013 6:20 pm

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can find those brands where am I..we have a bit of a limited selection! smile.png

Wow your results are amazing! Even after another awful skin day you've made me want to carry on, did the flakiness go away as soon as you started using the AHA? I'm tempted to try a little bit mixed in with moisturiser tonight. I can't even wear make up today my face is so so dry...but still super shiny! Does the oiliness ever go?

Yes, the AHA really does help with the flakes. Give it some time though. It won't be an instant thing. I do that half AHA and half moisturizer at nights but sometimes I go full AHA.

In the early stages of starting the regimen I didn't even bother with makeup because it was too painful. All I used after moisturizer was a tinted sunscreen. And sometimes throughout the day when I felt dry, I would add more moisturizer. That really helped.

If you naturally have oily skin, I don't think it really does go away. I always use those oil blotting papers a few times a day to help with shine. But hey, oily skin doesn't have to be bad...did you know that people oily skin tend to age better? Haha. Could be an upside depending on how you look at it.

MemberMember
(@ducky8989)

Posted : 05/03/2013 1:23 am

I highly recommend you try adding a dime size amount of aquaphor to your moisturizer in addition to the jojoba oil. It's a miracle for dry skin. It has completely eliminated my horribly dry skin and (I'm only in my third week on the regimen and my skin is no longer dry or flaky since I have done this)! I have continued to clear up beautifully since I tried this. My makeup also goes on so much better.

I also recommend you switch to liquid foundation instead of powder. Powder is super drying and in my opinion looks more cakey and less natural than a thin layer of liquid foundation, which gives more of a natural dewy look. I love revlon colorstay (in the dry/normal skin formula.. the oily/combo skin one is too drying). Coverage is great and it looks very natural. Just use a very very small amount and set it with a VERY thin layer of powder.

Also, use jojoba oil as makeup remover. I wet my face, then spread jojoba oil all over my face to loosen the makeup, and then use a good cleanser to wash it all off. Works beautifully and isn't drying.

Good luck!