Oxytetracycline And...

Notifications
Clear all

Oxytetracycline And Over The Counter Moisturiser Treatments

MemberMember
(@retepnikrap)

Posted : 11/22/2012 6:02 am

My son has been prescribed Oxytetracycline by the doctor and has been taking it for a couple of weeks now. Now I know it takes longer before results will start but I want him to use some over the counter clensers and moisturisers to help with the dryness and irritation but I have been told (I believe wrongly) that this is not a good idea and the Oxytetracycline medication should not be combined with over the counter skin care products.

I would appreciate any views on this as I want to do as much as possible to avoid irritable and dry skin on my son that may lead to him picking and developing scars on his face.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@canthecan)

Posted : 11/23/2012 4:31 am

I took Oxytetracycline for a number of months and used clensing creams and moisturisers twice a day, these were recommended by the local pharmacy to help with the irritation and dryness of my skin, I found these helped a lot, Oxytetracycline is not an instant cure and can take weeks and likely months clensing and moisturising your skin will help take the dryness away, dry skin itches and can be uncomfortable and creates a desire to pick your face, don't do this you can leave scars....

MemberMember
(@erikajames)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:55 am

I was prescribed Oxytetracycline by my doctor, I asked if I could continue using cleansing creams and moisturisers as I was using them prior to being prescribed Oxytetracycline and they were helping a lot, he said it would be no problem, I wouldn't want to stop using them.

EJ

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 11/23/2012 6:42 pm

i remember taking various antibiotics they never did anything to my skin to dry it out etc they just don't work like that.

usually antibiotics are combined with a topical cream or gel as combined therapy can be more effective and can help reduce the initial breakout of the the topical gel/cream.