Help! New To Acne.o...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! New To Acne.org, Lots Of Questions

MemberMember
(@bjgsam1)

Posted : 08/12/2012 10:45 am

Hi,

I am new to the acne.org regimen (just started 4 days ago) and I have a couple questions, as I am just a little confused.

First of all, I was wondering if I was supposed to stop any previous acne treatments before beginning the regimen? I guess it's a little too late since I have already started, but before I started the regimen I was using BenzaClin and Differein (spelling is a little off). Was I supposed to have a break between stopping using those medications and starting the regimen?

Second of all, I'm really confused about the moisturizer. I have been following the steps for application, but two pumps of moisturizer is WAY too much for me. I'm using the 8 ounce bottle, BTW. When I use the full two pumps as instructed, I end up with lots left on my face, and even after letting it "absorb on it's own" for awhile, there is still some visible. This leaves my face super greasy and I've been having to blot it with tissue. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Third, I purchased some jojoba oil with my regimen kit because I figured since I have greasy skin, if added to my moisturizer it would help regulate my skin's oil production. I'm confused though because the acne.org moisturizer already has jojoba oil in it, so I was unsure about whether I was still supposed to add some or not?

Fourth, I was wondering how well the acne.org regimen works for black heads. I have so many black heads on my nose, and before acne.org I would have picked at them, but since starting I have really been trying not to pick anything. Without me picking them it seems like there are more of them, so I was getting a little concerned. I am afraid that the acne.org cleanser is not cleansing deep enough to get rid blackheads, so I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been with blackheads on acne.org?

Last, I'm wondering how long it's supposed to take for me to start seeing results with using the regimen? I know I have only been on it four days, but I am was just curious. One person told me that they thought my skin was clearing up, but I personally don't see anything.

If you can help me at all with any of these questions, it would really be a big help! Thanks!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 08/13/2012 6:03 pm

Hi! Welcome to Acne.org! :)

I'll move this to the Regimen forum, hopefully you'll get more replies there.

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 08/13/2012 9:59 pm

Hi,

I am new to the acne.org regimen (just started 4 days ago) and I have a couple questions, as I am just a little confused.

First of all, I was wondering if I was supposed to stop any previous acne treatments before beginning the regimen? I guess it's a little too late since I have already started, but before I started the regimen I was using BenzaClin and Differein (spelling is a little off). Was I supposed to have a break between stopping using those medications and starting the regimen?

Second of all, I'm really confused about the moisturizer. I have been following the steps for application, but two pumps of moisturizer is WAY too much for me. I'm using the 8 ounce bottle, BTW. When I use the full two pumps as instructed, I end up with lots left on my face, and even after letting it "absorb on it's own" for awhile, there is still some visible. This leaves my face super greasy and I've been having to blot it with tissue. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Third, I purchased some jojoba oil with my regimen kit because I figured since I have greasy skin, if added to my moisturizer it would help regulate my skin's oil production. I'm confused though because the acne.org moisturizer already has jojoba oil in it, so I was unsure about whether I was still supposed to add some or not?

Fourth, I was wondering how well the acne.org regimen works for black heads. I have so many black heads on my nose, and before acne.org I would have picked at them, but since starting I have really been trying not to pick anything. Without me picking them it seems like there are more of them, so I was getting a little concerned. I am afraid that the acne.org cleanser is not cleansing deep enough to get rid blackheads, so I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been with blackheads on acne.org?

Last, I'm wondering how long it's supposed to take for me to start seeing results with using the regimen? I know I have only been on it four days, but I am was just curious. One person told me that they thought my skin was clearing up, but I personally don't see anything.

If you can help me at all with any of these questions, it would really be a big help! Thanks!

Hi bjgsam,

Welcome to acne.org! I will try to help you as much as I can. As far as taking a break from your other topicals before starting the regimen, I would have given myself a few days of a break, but since you've already started, I don't think it's a huge deal. Just keep doing the regimen exactly as Dan suggests on his videos (starting slowly with a pea size amount of BP and working your way up with more as the weeks progress). Everyone feels confused and has questions when starting the regimen so don't worry, you're not alone. The first few weeks, I got on the site all the time and clicked under "Get Clear" and read the "what to expect" page over and over. Read the "biggest mistakes" page and make sure you're doing everything the way Dan suggests (like doing all three steps and waiting 5-15 minutes between the steps, being EXTRA gentle, not scrubbing while cleansing or drying and again, starting slowly with the BP). As far as the amount of moisturizer, I thought 2 pumps would be too much at first, too. At first, I only used 1 pump but you will see that with regular use of BP, your skin will need the extra moisture. The additional jojoba oil is not a mandatory part of the regimen, but most people (including myself) love it because it gets rid of dry and flaky skin quite nicely. Dry skin can also cause more acne so I recommend using just the moisturizer to start, but in a couple of weeks you will probably see that you will be running to the jojoba oil! For me, in the morning, I use the OLAY sensitive skin moisturizer with spf 15 and add about 4 drops of jojoba oil and at night, I use a pump and a half of Dan's moisturizer and 5-6 drops of jojoba oil. As far as blackheads go, before the regimen, I had a lot of blackheads around my cheek area and since the regimen I hardly have any. Of course, every one's skin is different, but the regimen causes a lot of shedding of skin so this is great for the blackhead issue. Once you are on the regimen for a month, you can try the AHA to help with exfoliation, but it is not suggested until your skin gets used to the other products. As far as results go, it can really vary. Some people say they see results in a month, some people say 3 months. It REALLY depends on the severity of your acne, how much you stick to the regimen instructions, doing it twice a day every day exactly as described and you will see results. I have been on the regimen for 9 weeks and my acne has lessened a lot. There will be good weeks and bad weeks, sometimes it will seem like your acne is going away and then you may have a breakout. Just keep with it, read the boards and know that it will get better. It takes time and at first it seems like it will never end but there are a lot of success stories on this site and on Youtube you can watch when you need the extra motivation. People on these boards are very helpful and we have all been at the start at one point so no question is too embarrassing, gross or stupid. Just stick with it and pretty soon you will be helping someone new, too. The first few weeks are really hard, but if you can get through those, it will become a lot easier. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@darkwizzie)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:10 am

For moisturizer, I've been reading and some people are not satisfied with the moisturizer, since Dan added licochalance, it seems like people don't like it as much anymore. So I'd wager that Dan's moisturizer is the weakest link. You can try other moisturizers.

I didn't know the moisturizer came with jojoba oil, my knowledge it does not.

For results: It really varies. I know you don't like hearing answers like these, but it does But the general consensus is that Dan's chart of 'what to expect' is too optimistic. I think his chart says you can see results in a month or so, whereas for many people I'd say, would not see great effects until after 3 months, and many people probably saw the chart, and gave up on the first month when it would have worked if they had just stuck to it.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 08/14/2012 2:27 pm

1. Yes, you should have stopped using other topicals when using Dan's regimen. Obviously you should consult with your doctor if you have questions/concerns regarding the use of prescription topicals with Dan's regimen.

2. Use as much of the moisturizer as you need. If two pumps is too much, then try one and a half pumps, or even one pump. It is vitally important that you are adequately moisturizing your skin with the regimen, especially at the beginning.

3. Jojoba oil can be added to the moisturizer to help with dryness and flakes. Some people find that moisturizer is not enough to combat the dryness and flaky skin, so adding a little jojoba oil to the moisturizer can help with really dry skin. However, if you find that the moisturizer alone is sufficient for your skin, then you don't need to add extra jojoba oil if you don't want to.

4. The regimen isn't really designed to get rid of blackheads. I don't know of any cleanser powerful enough to expel blackheads. I've found that using Dan's AHA+ has really helped in reducing the blackheads on my nose. Otherwise, salicylic acid is the only thing I know of to treat blackheads with continuous use (obviously not part of the regimen).

5. As far as seeing results, everyone is different. I started seeing improvements in my skin within a week or two, and I was completely clear after a month or so. I'd been on PrioActiv prior to starting the regimen so my skin was used to BP, and I've been using the regimen for 5 years now and my skin looks almost perfect.

The most important thing is to stick with the regimen and follow it exactly, regardless of how discouraged you might feel.

MemberMember
(@bjgsam1)

Posted : 08/14/2012 2:27 pm

Thank you so much to the people who responded to this! Especially lovebug77, it really meant so much that you took all that time to answer my questions. I'm not going to lie, I I have become a little discouraged, partly because I think my expectations were unrealistic. But I'm planning to start over again (I forgot my regimen kit when traveling :( opps), and previously I didn't start out slow with the bp, figuring since I was on BenzaClin before, my skin was used to it. I'm going to follow it exactly this time though :)

Just wondering, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the moisturizer leaving my skin all greasy? Like I mentioned above, I have been just blotting with tissue, but I still look all shiny. BTW, I don't wear make up, so any make up tips won't really help.

Thanks again so much!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 08/14/2012 2:38 pm

Thank you so much to the people who responded to this! Especially lovebug77, it really meant so much that you took all that time to answer my questions. I'm not going to lie, I I have become a little discouraged, partly because I think my expectations were unrealistic. But I'm planning to start over again (I forgot my regimen kit when traveling sad.png opps), and previously I didn't start out slow with the bp, figuring since I was on BenzaClin before, my skin was used to it. I'm going to follow it exactly this time though smile.png

Just wondering, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the moisturizer leaving my skin all greasy? Like I mentioned above, I have been just blotting with tissue, but I still look all shiny. BTW, I don't wear make up, so any make up tips won't really help.

Thanks again so much!

I found that Dan's moisturizer was too moisturizing for me so I had to switch to a different moisturizer. My skin is very oily, and Dan's moisturizer provided too much moisture for my skin. All moisturizers leave my face looking shiny, so it was a matter of finding the one which left me looking the least shiny.

I'd recommend trying to use a little less moisturizer without adding extra jojoba oil and see if that helps a little.

MemberMember
(@lovebug77)

Posted : 08/14/2012 9:13 pm

Bjgsam, you're welcome! I wish you great success and I know if you follow this you will get results. I agree with Darkwizzie who said people gave up on the regimen because it wasn't producing results fast enough for them. This sort of thing takes time. Think about it, if a person has had acne for years, it takes time for their skin to respond to any treatment. We can't see what is happening below the surface but a lot of changes are happening and it's like we are re-programming our skin. Any health regimen takes time. Losing weight, building muscle or anything like that does not happen instantly. We wish it did because we are so frustrated with our acne, but that's just not the way it works. As far as the greasy face issue, I don't have any tips except maybe find another moisturizer or just apply it a good amount of time before you have to go anywhere so that your skin has enough time to absorb it. I know some people on these boards have mentioned that they use Cetaphil or CereVe, you may want to check out those and see if you like those better. Keep us updated on your acne and no matter how tired, busy, frustrated you are, stick to it!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 08/14/2012 9:55 pm

Hi, let me answer your questions, I hope my responses are useful:

Mild Acne: 3-4 weeks for improvement

Mild/Moderate acne: 1-2 months improvement

Moderate acne: 4 weeks - 3 months improvement

Severe acne: 2-7 months improvement

Very severe acne: 2-8 months, or no results at all

MemberMember
(@bjgsam1)

Posted : 08/19/2012 3:43 pm

After reading on the message boards, I was sorta surprised to see how many people swap in other products for the acne.org ones. When I first read about the regimen I wanted to get the exact products here because I figured they would work the best. If you have swapped out products can you please let me know why and which ones you are now using?

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 08/19/2012 6:12 pm

After reading on the message boards, I was sorta surprised to see how many people swap in other products for the acne.org ones. When I first read about the regimen I wanted to get the exact products here because I figured they would work the best. If you have swapped out products can you please let me know why and which ones you are now using?

Yeah, not everyone on here actually uses Dan's regimen and some people use what works for them on the regimen. The only thing I've personally bought from acne.org is the AHA+ lotion. That stuff really rocks.

I hope you find what works best for you. :)

MemberMember
(@bjgsam1)

Posted : 08/23/2012 9:09 pm

Why do you not use the acne.org products and why

Yeah, not everyone on here actually uses Dan's regimen and some people use what works for them on the regimen. The only thing I've personally bought from acne.org is the AHA+ lotion. That stuff really rocks.

I hope you find what works best for you. smile.png

Why do you not use the acne.org products and why do you use the ones you do?

Hi, I'm hoping you will be able to answer another I have about the regimen :) I've been on it for about 1-2 weeks now and I've noticed that my acne has actually gotten worse than it was before when I was on BenzaClin. I think my acne is considered moderate BTW. I now have breakouts all over my cheeks, and really, a lot of pimples just all over my skin. Lots of whiteheads and clogged pores, and as I mentioned before, lots of blackheads on my nose. Is this just a phase in the regimen, skin really breaking out before clearing up? I'm following the regimen, only change I've made is to not use nearly as much moisturizer (I use maybe one full pump), and I then add 3/4 drops of jojoba. Keep in mind I'm also still building up the dosage of bp.

Any advice, PLEASE? This isn't how I expected this to work.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:13 am

Same thing happened to me. My acne got a lot better in the first week and I got really excited only to be hit with the worse breakout of my life in the second week. Once that cleared up my breakouts became less and less each week until I become completely clear after 12 weeks or so.

So be patient and persistant and hopefully the regimen will be successful for you. Oh and as far as using other products, when I first started I used only Dan's products because if the regimen didnt work I didnt want to start questioning myself on whether it would have worked if I'd used Acne.org products. But once I was clear I started sometimes switching in cetaphil moisturiser some nights if I was feeling particularly dry (its quite rich and creamy), but I predominantly use Acne.org products because they have been so successful for me.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 08/25/2012 3:41 pm

Why do you not use the acne.org products and why

I hope you find what works best for you. smile.png

Why do you not use the acne.org products and why do you use the ones you do?

Hi, I'm hoping you will be able to answer another I have about the regimen smile.png I've been on it for about 1-2 weeks now and I've noticed that my acne has actually gotten worse than it was before when I was on BenzaClin. I think my acne is considered moderate BTW. I now have breakouts all over my cheeks, and really, a lot of pimples just all over my skin. Lots of whiteheads and clogged pores, and as I mentioned before, lots of blackheads on my nose. Is this just a phase in the regimen, skin really breaking out before clearing up? I'm following the regimen, only change I've made is to not use nearly as much moisturizer (I use maybe one full pump), and I then add 3/4 drops of jojoba. Keep in mind I'm also still building up the dosage of bp.

Any advice, PLEASE? This isn't how I expected this to work.

Thanks

I am really not the best person to ask because honestly I hate BP. I like the idea of the regimen but I gave up after a month and a half with the worst skin I have ever had in my life. I've heard people have a long purging period before their skin gets better on the regimen but I don't know I couldn't handle it I guess.

I even got my first cystic acne breakout and that's when I flipped. I like a gentler approach to be honest and I think my acne had more to do with my diet and lack of fiber. I've has stomach problems ever since I've had acne. But again everyone is different. For some it's hormones. bad hygiene, etc.

I don't know too much about Benzaclin but what kind of potency does that stuff have? It may be irritating your breakouts further. :\

I've never used any of Dan's stuff besides the AHA+ on my back and OCCASIONALLY as a spot treatment on my face. I've heard his moisturizer isn't very moisturizing though and I don't really know about how much I like jojoba oil. I got a bunch of little bumps on my chin around the time I started using it. Not to say that it was the culprit but I don't take any chances.

Right now I don't even use anything targeted for acne, just some makeup with salicylic acid in it after a mild face wash and lotion. I don't know, it just works for me. I think some people are just too aggressive with their acne prone skin when all you need is stuff for sensitive skin and to leave it alone.

I really wish you the best of luck. This site is the best tool for those of us with skin problems. There are people who really know their stuff on here. So I'm sure in time you will find what works for you.

But I wouldn't give up on the regimen. Stick with it and finish out the products AT LEAST. Might as well and who knows it could be exactly what you need.

Same thing happened to me. My acne got a lot better in the first week and I got really excited only to be hit with the worse breakout of my life in the second week. Once that cleared up my breakouts became less and less each week until I become completely clear after 12 weeks or so.

So be patient and persistant and hopefully the regimen will be successful for you. Oh and as far as using other products, when I first started I used only Dan's products because if the regimen didnt work I didnt want to start questioning myself on whether it would have worked if I'd used Acne.org products. But once I was clear I started sometimes switching in cetaphil moisturiser some nights if I was feeling particularly dry (its quite rich and creamy), but I predominantly use Acne.org products because they have been so successful for me.

That's awesome that it cleared up your skin. ^_^ I always regret stopping but I was just so impatient and hated the texture of my skin.

I started off with cetaphil sensitive face wash and lotion and I absolutely hated that stuff lol because it was so creamy. I bet Dan has the perfect line of stuff. He knows what he's doing.

MemberMember
(@bjgsam1)

Posted : 08/26/2012 10:29 am

Thanks guys, I think I'm beginning to realize that I'm going to have to discover these things myself, what products I want to use. I think I'm going to stick with Dan's products right now, until I get clear. Then I'll see if I can swap out products.

And thanks AyeAye, is good to know someone else experienced what I'm experiencing. :)

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 08/27/2012 3:55 pm

Thanks guys, I think I'm beginning to realize that I'm going to have to discover these things myself, what products I want to use. I think I'm going to stick with Dan's products right now, until I get clear. Then I'll see if I can swap out products.

I agree, you should stick with Dan's products for the time being. After being on the regimen for a while, you'll be able to determine whether Dan's products are really best for you, or if you need to try something else. After I was on the regimen for a few months, I realized that I didn't love Dan's cleanser or moisturizer; while they were effective in clearing my skin, they just weren't perfect for me. You'll find what works for you! Just keep going!

MemberMember
(@lynnette_)

Posted : 04/14/2020 7:55 am

Hi, I bought the glycolic acid lotion and I don't know how to use it with my current skin care routine. I have never used it and I'm not in the acne.org regeime. My question is can I use it alone? Must I use it with the regimen? And how do I use it ?

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/15/2020 10:02 am

On 4/14/2020 at 5:55 AM, Lynnette_ said:

Hi, I bought the glycolic acid lotion and I don't know how to use it with my current skin care routine. I have never used it and I'm not in the acne.org regeime. My question is can I use it alone? Must I use it with the regimen? And how do I use it ?

Anyone can use AHA+. I've got my mom, cousins, pretty much everyone using it. It will give anyone's skin a "glow" and keep skin turning over.

However, if you're looking to clear up acne, using any alpha hydroxy acid on its own is unlikely to give you the results you are looking for. It's best used alongside benzoyl peroxide if you want to clear up your skin.

Use it no more than once every other day at full strength. It's very strong. Alternately, you can use it once a day1/2 and 1/2 mixed with moisturizer. Just dispense a little AHA and a little moisturizer in your palm and mix it up.

And...be sure you are protecting your skin from the sun when using it. It powerfully exfoliates, which makes your skin more sensitive to the sun's rays.

hotglue01 liked