Liquid Vaseline = S...

Notifications
Clear all

Liquid Vaseline = Solid Vaseline ?

MemberMember
(@nightwish)

Posted : 05/01/2007 7:58 pm

Is Liquid Vaseline the same as Solid Vaseline?

I read that Liquid Vaseline is "Oil of Vaseline" and it's mainly used as a laxative.

Is it really Oil?

Does Liquid Vaseline clog pores or makes Acne get worse?

Is there a difference between them?

Thanks a lot!

Emanuel

Andree liked
MemberMember
(@cassiopeia)

Posted : 05/01/2007 9:48 pm

Is Liquid Vaseline the same as Solid Vaseline?

I read that Liquid Vaseline is "Oil of Vaseline" and it's mainly used as a laxative.

Is it really Oil?

Does Liquid Vaseline clog pores or makes Acne get worse?

Is there a difference between them?

Thanks a lot!

Emanuel

I'm by no means an expert on the Regimen, though I've used it ... but I would NEVER put ANYTHING Vaseline on my face ... it's petroleum-based oil, which as far as I know, will definitely clog your pores.

Perhaps a mod can elaborate on this though.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 05/01/2007 10:45 pm

Vaseline actually won't clog your pores, but I think it feels disgusting even in small quantities on my face. Others disagree and swear by it to lock in moisture and protect their skin's barrier. I've actually never heard of liquid vaseline, though, the people here who do use vaseline use the solid kind in a tub.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/02/2007 8:37 pm

You are talking about parafinium liquidium which is closely related but more runny.

They are not comedogenic and repair barrier, but yes they can be greasy if not used properly.

However if applied only to dry areas sparingly they work very well, and hide flakiness, and definitely improve skin over time.

MemberMember
(@nightwish)

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:20 am

I hope it is the same :S

MemberMember
(@whitershadeofpale)

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:39 am

I don't understand the whole anti-vaseline-mineral oil legend....my cleanser has mineral oil in it, and its the best cleanser i've ever used....it cleans my skin and moisturizes.

Heres what Paula Begoun says about mineral oil:

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44a46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33a40).

Paula Begoun

www.cosmeticscop.com

blackswan liked
MemberMember
(@blackswan)

Posted : 09/21/2014 9:08 pm

I just want to praise Vaseline that cured my acne!

Let me begin by saying that I had been suffering from acne for over 10 years, and I tried everything short of Accutane. Even lasers!

I was constantly on Retin-A to keep my pores somewhat unclogged, and I also was taking huge doses of Aldactone. I was praying for something that could work without posing health risks (like Aldactone, which messes with your hormones). And I finally decided to try Vaseline, and the bravery of it was comparable with when I first jumped from a plane... Seriously, it felt scary, I thought I would have pizza face next day and for the next few weeks. This is how every single cream and lotion (oil-free included) affect my skin! Now I know the reason (they all have stearic acid or other ingredients that PENETRATE the pores, thus clogging them!). Well so long story short, my skin was so horrible when I first tried the Vaseline, that I felt I had nothing to loose. And miraculously, it not only healed it, but also, after weeks of using it, I have no single clogged pore on the parts of my face where I ALWAYS get them (especially close to a certain time of the month!) Well, NONE! No breakouts either, and the scars are fading too! I almost completely stopped using Retin-A and also Aldactone I only take one pill once in about 4 days (I used to take 3 times every day for years, or else, my face would be catastrophic!) So please believe me - I want to help. I wish someone told me that earlier - actually, one girl with extremely clear face, when I asked her what she is using, told me she uses Vaseline, I thought "lucky her, she CAN use it because she has such an amazing skin, but I can only imagine what it can do to mine..." And she did mention that only Vaseline helped her with her acne (that I didn't believe at all). So what I do is completely crazy - it totally contradicts ALL the dermatological science. I put a very thick layer of Vaseline all over my face, including the days when I am going to work out. I think that it creates a sort of sauna and dissolves any gunk and oils. I seriously had no white or black head in a month. I only am crying for all those wasted year of the acne battle, but am so grateful. IT CANNOT CLOG YOUR PORES!!! It simply can't! Because it stays on top of your skin, it does not penetrate! It is like a mask. So nothing is going into your pores, but it DISSOLVES what is IN them! Please try it - you will be amazed!