Notifications
Clear all

Pre-Mixing Aha+ With Moisturizer

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/07/2015 11:59 pm

OK so I just ordered some of the AHA+ from this website and I noticed that it recommends you use it either every 2-3 nights or every night mixed with moisturizer, I plan to use this every night mixed with moisturizer. So my question is would it be alright for me to pre-mix some of this with a moisturizer and store it in some sort of air tight container? I just think it would be kind of annoying to have to mix this in the palm of my hand every night :/ I was going to do a 1:1 ratio and the moisturizer I planned on using was Cliniderm's Soothing Lotion. Here's a list of the ingredients in it in case that's any help:

Aqua, Cyclomethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Petrolatum, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Sorbic Acid

I don't see why there would be any problem with this??? Also can any of you think of a better moisturizer to mix with this stuff? Is the Acne.org moisturizer any good? I've heard mixed reviews on it. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/10/2015 10:50 am

I do mix AHA and moisturizer every night. Although I have never tried to pre-mix them before. I have no idea if that does anything to how the products work so I just stick to mixing them together every night. Aside from that I switch moisturizers depending on how my skin feels so I don't premix.

I use either the Acne.org moisturizer or the Cetaphil on. When my skin feels dry I reach for the Cetaphil lotion, this leaves my skin feeling so soft when I wake up. On days when my skin is very oily and not dry at all, I use the Acne.org one.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/10/2015 7:51 pm

I personally love the Acne.Org moisturizer. It's perfect for my combination oily/dry skin. I still use this even though I don't use the other products anymore. I also have never tried pre-mixing...hey all you can do is try it...maybe try pre-mixing a small amount, see how you like it. Then if you don't like it or find a moisturizer you like even better, you're not stuck with a lot of product to use up.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/10/2015 11:09 pm

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause the AHA lotion to be less effective or anything if I mix the two together this way but I don't see why it would so I think I'm just gonna go for it. Also I'm new here so apologies if I'm not responding to posts properly lol. I'll try the acne.org moisturizer then whenever the stuff I'm currently using runs out on me/whenever I order from acne.org next.

Also sorry for changing the topic here a bit but nicmic62 have you tried the Cetaphil moisturizer with spf 15? I'm thinking I should prob start using some sort of moisturizer with spf in the daytime now that I'm using glycolic acid and I'm not too sure where to start. I live in Canada and it's currently ridiculously cold here right now so I've been trying to stay inside as much as I can anyways lol.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/11/2015 9:39 am

@SamB...yeah in terms of whether it would affect the active ingredients in the AHA+ I'm not sure but I also don't see why it would. Let us know how you do, am curious what the results would be. BTW, no worries, you're responding to posts just fine! :)

If you can get a hold of some jojoba oil, try also adding 5-6 drops of this to your AHA/moisturizer mix. This was Nicmic's idea...very hydrating! Plus I find the jojoba oil a great addition to winter skin care...gives your skin some added protection from the harsh winter elements which can add to skin irritation.

Great move getting a moisturizer with sunscreen for day time! We're definitely going to look into this for my son in the coming weeks. Right now we apply a sunscreen over the top of everything when we go winter hiking on sunny Saturdays. He's in school during the day and the sun is mostly down by the time he gets home.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply :). I'll let you know how this ends up working out for me... I think I'm probably going to wait a week before I introduce the glycolic acid to my routine. This is actually my first time using the acne.org regimen but prior to just starting it I was using prescription Benzaclin (5% benzoyl peroxide mixed with 1% clindamycin) so I think my skin is already pretty used to benzoyl peroxide by now, I've also used glycolic acid cream in the past and know my skin responds well to it so I think I'll be fine not waiting the full recommended month before introducing it.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/12/2015 8:43 am

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause the AHA lotion to be less effective or anything if I mix the two together this way but I don't see why it would so I think I'm just gonna go for it. Also I'm new here so apologies if I'm not responding to posts properly lol. I'll try the acne.org moisturizer then whenever the stuff I'm currently using runs out on me/whenever I order from acne.org next.

Also sorry for changing the topic here a bit but nicmic62 have you tried the Cetaphil moisturizer with spf 15? I'm thinking I should prob start using some sort of moisturizer with spf in the daytime now that I'm using glycolic acid and I'm not too sure where to start. I live in Canada and it's currently ridiculously cold here right now so I've been trying to stay inside as much as I can anyways lol.

I actually have never tried using any cetaphil products with SPF. I kind of rely on my makeup to take care of the SPF part, but give it a shot. Cetaphil has never broken me out, so hopefully you can test that out and let us know how it works for you because I'd be interested to know.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/17/2015 1:37 am

So I'm glad I just tested this out before mixing a bunch of this lol I applied the glycolic acid for the first time tonight mixed with moisturizer, half/half, and found it to sting a little bit more than I would have liked and cause a bit of redness in my face. Will see if the redness goes down by tomorrow morning but I'm thinking for now I'll try to stick to using 2 parts moisturizer, 1 part glycolic acid either every or every other night depending on how my skin reacts.

I've never found glycolic acid cream to sting when I've used it in the past or cause redness so I'm guessing this must be because I'm using BP now and I'll update/leave a review on the Cetaphil moisturizer with spf once I end up picking some up which should be soon.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 01/23/2015 4:46 pm

I use a really small amount of AHA, if I use even a bit too much I get red/burning. It's maybe 1/8th aha & moisturizer, I may gradually increase it, but that's just my experience.

Also I use the cerave 30 spf daily moisturizer when going outside and I have had no problems with it :)

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 01/23/2015 7:19 pm

Yeah, for me it's going alright with 2 parts moisturizer, 1 part glycolic acid every night... it still stings a bit and causes some redness but it subsides by the morning. I am using a decent amount of BP so I just feel like if I used any less glycolic acid I'd prob still have flakiness in the morning which wouldn't look very good especially when I apply makeup over top. That Cerave moisturizer looks promising as well though, thanks for the heads up :3.

Also the pre-mixing seems to have worked out fine for me, no sort of separation in the products at all, the AHA still seems to be just as effective and I find it a bit easier to not use too much this way I think.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/23/2015 8:22 pm

So glad this is working!!! :) Yeah, we actually started out the same way with 2/3 moisturizer, 1/3 AHA+....now we use a 50/50 mix, but we only do this every other day. Definitely good to dilute the AHA+ with some moisturizer as it is quite strong, but in the past 2 weeks we've seen a difference in the red marks. Still some flakage but not bad at all. If you can get some jojoba oil either off this site or from a health food store, I highly recommend....it does really help in terms of keeping skin soft and in balance! Adding in the jojoba oil to the AHA/moisturizer mix was the best move we ever made!