Notifications
Clear all

Acne.org Gave Me Eczema, Did The Formula Change?

MemberMember
(@tawanda)

Posted : 03/21/2014 7:32 pm

Hi,

I've never had Eczema before but for the past few months, I've developed Eczema around my eyes from using the acne.org products.

At first, I thought I had caught something like a fungus or something because my right eye got really red and puffy, the skin around my eye was extremely itchy and red. Then the skin started looking wrinkly and flaky. I stopped using the acne.org products and started using cortical steroid the doctor gave me to deal with the irritation, the symptoms went away and after a few weeks I went back to the acne.org products. Each time, after two days the eye itchiness starts and I have to quit the products again. It takes about 4 days for the redness to leave and about a week or so for the rough flaky skin to go away.

I have tried to put a protective layer of neosporin Eczema cream around my eyes and use the acne.org medication really far away just as a spot treatment on my cheeks but it doesn't matter, within a few days, the intense itchiness begins around my eyes, under then and on the eye lid.

This last time, I tried to just use the acne.org moisturizer and the same symptoms returned. I wonder if anything changed in the formula.
I have used acne.org with great success up to this point and am really disappointed that it's causing these symptoms now.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or knows what my have caused this.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/22/2014 2:40 pm

I had a similar experience, but the crazy thing I was I used the acne.org BP for like 3.5 months without any problems last year, and then all of a sudden one night I just developed dry itchy skin on my temples near my eye. I thought it was nothing since I've used the BP for so long and maybe it was just some allergy to something. It spread cause I kept using the products until the left side of my face was all like that so I had to quit using it. It would take a little longer than a week for my skin to go back to normal but every time I tried to use the acne.org BP again, same thing would happen. This was all with the same tube of BP so idk what happened!

I read online that sometimes using too much BP can cause BP sensitivity/allergy but it's pretty rare...but that's the only explanation I've found so far that makes sense. It has to be an ingredient in Dan's BP though because I've been using Benzagel's 5% benzoyl peroxide for years before Dan's, and using it currently for the past year and I haven't encountered any problems like that.

That's never happened to me with the moisturizer, but I quit the regimen entirely when this happened anyway.

Have you tried substituting the regimen for drug-store products?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 03/23/2014 1:19 pm

There haven't been any formula changes in any of the products in several years. I know it's frustrating to experience an unpleasant reaction, but swelling is never a good sign. Anytime anything gives you swelling you should discontinue and see your doctor for advice.

MemberMember
(@punmaster)

Posted : 03/24/2014 1:13 pm

I have had the exact same issue. Flakey eye lides/typical allergy reactions that resemble eczema only around the eyes as well. Same time frame for effects. Only BP tho not moisturizer or glycolic acid.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 03/31/2014 10:01 pm

I had extreme dryness that felt like eczema, but what helped me was extreme moisturization. I am using jojoba oil with my moisturizer. In addition, I began using the Garnier BB cream for oily skin, and it really evened out my face and made my face smother and now my face feels right. I also decreased my dosage of BP, and that helped me even more.

MemberMember
(@kristinfl)

Posted : 04/01/2014 4:50 pm

I have been using the full regimen with great success for over 5 years and it also recently caused extreme itching and redness around eye and eczema on my neck. I switched to Neutrogena cream BP only once a day and moisturizered like crazy. After a week my skin started to adjust but then I tried Dans BP and the redness and itchiness begins about 5 hours later. I am certainly frustrated. It started around the time I was taking a b12 supplement but I quit that 3 weeks ago. If anyone comes up with anything please post. For now I am going back to Neutrogena BP and starting like I have never used it before.

MemberMember
(@krishmapee)

Posted : 04/15/2014 7:58 pm

I've been facing the same issue! Been on the regimen for about 6 months and at first everything went great, I cleared up completely. When I decided to introduce AHA into the equation my face reacted and so I quit the AHA, but my acne also returned. After my face healed from the AHA the regimen hasn't been working the same. I feel like my whole face has exzema on it, its a very rough texture and I have extremely dry and flaky skin which no amount of moisturizer or jojoba oil seems to be working on. The redness is constantly there, especially right under my eyes. Thinking about quitting the regimen completely but that idea scares me considering I was so sure I had found my acne solution. Any suggestions?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/16/2014 5:17 pm

Gave me it too. Well, definitely some form of dermatitis/eczema. I may have had more severe acne pre-regimen, but 2 years later I'm still left with dry itchy skin around my eyes and nose that I never had before. It works for many, but I think there should be a disclaimer out there for those with sensitive skin types. I mean, there's people on this forum that can put BP on with a trowel, but me, even a little made my skin hang off like I'd just poured sulfuric acid over my head.

The Regimen is a great method for those that respond well to it, but you need to take regard the integrity of your skin post regimen and if you are to continue using it long-term. I worry for those that I see using the regimen that have really shiny (albeit acne-free) faces that almost look puppet-like - ain't a good look.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/30/2014 11:39 pm

I've been facing the same issue! Been on the regimen for about 6 months and at first everything went great, I cleared up completely. When I decided to introduce AHA into the equation my face reacted and so I quit the AHA, but my acne also returned. After my face healed from the AHA the regimen hasn't been working the same. I feel like my whole face has exzema on it, its a very rough texture and I have extremely dry and flaky skin which no amount of moisturizer or jojoba oil seems to be working on. The redness is constantly there, especially right under my eyes. Thinking about quitting the regimen completely but that idea scares me considering I was so sure I had found my acne solution. Any suggestions?

You can try using less BP. I use it only at night now, and it doesn't make my face dry and flakey, and it still helps me keep acne away. You might break out as you transition into using it only at night, like I did, but it is worth it.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/01/2014 5:51 pm

I suspect that i may be in the same boat as well. My skin is really dry and soemtimes flaky and very red. I had to quit using BP under my jaw due to irritation and i am breaking out like a mutha. Also, over the past few days, my right side has been getting bumps that i suspect are cysts in the making that are very red, dry and patchy. I am so upset over this as for the past year, my acne has finally been in the background. I am making a derm appt to see my next steps. Can't believe i'm going through this shit......again. Hopefully the original poster found a solution.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 05/02/2014 9:27 pm

I might just add that I too experienced the same symptoms using the AHA+ product. I got the redness/dry flaky skin underneath the eyes/dry and also at the temples.

I'm still a fan of the product. This only happened during the period where I used it 5x a week. Since I reduced it to twice a week I don't get it anymore.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2014 7:45 am

Was anyone with this issue able to use another topical with eczema coming back (since BP may be the culprit?)

MemberMember
(@sirluminary)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:47 pm

After months of trying a bunch of home remedies after an Accutane relapse, I started following The Regimen with great results. At first I used Spectro products, but finally received Acne.org's products, which were more economical. After 4 months of following The Regimen to a T and experiencing skin perfection something triggered a rash on my nose, temples, and jawline. I suspect it was either the introduction of AHA+ or me developing allergies to Dan's moisturizer. (The moisturizer gave me terrible puffy and allergic eyes once applied)

Half a year later I'm starting to use Dan's BP again with new cleanser and moisturizer, so finger's crossed that I can continue The Regimen without developing some sort of contact dermatitis.

If not, than it could be Dan's BP, since Spectro 2.5% BP didn't produce the same unpleasant results.

Btw, I've researched that Jojoba could trigger allergic reactions in some people, so it's not as harmless as it's made out to be.

Proof: http://community.babycenter.com/post/a48387379/bad_allergic_reaction_to_jojoba_oil_pics_in_comments

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 08/23/2014 8:33 pm

You know what, I had this problem. I realized I was applying BP way too close to my eyes. I began avoiding the under eye area completely and the problem disappeared. Also, moisturize! If you see it's flaky, slap on moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@merric)

Posted : 10/24/2014 3:10 pm

The acne.org cleanser and BP don't give me any problems. It was the moisturizer I learned that started to give me eczema. It was awful. I used the products without a problem for almost a year and in June I started waking up with sore eyes and it just kept getting worse and worse from there. I figured it couldn't be the BP, because I only apply it to my chin and lower jaw. I stopped using the acne.org moisturizer and started using Cetaphil and the eczema cleared up.

Just last week I tried the acne.org moisturizer again just to see what would happen and I woke up swollen, itchy eyes. Today I wrote to them asking if they changed any of the ingredients.

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 11/04/2014 8:19 pm

The acne.org cleanser and BP don't give me any problems. It was the moisturizer I learned that started to give me eczema. It was awful. I used the products without a problem for almost a year and in June I started waking up with sore eyes and it just kept getting worse and worse from there. I figured it couldn't be the BP, because I only apply it to my chin and lower jaw. I stopped using the acne.org moisturizer and started using Cetaphil and the eczema cleared up.

Just last week I tried the acne.org moisturizer again just to see what would happen and I woke up swollen, itchy eyes. Today I wrote to them asking if they changed any of the ingredients.

That's interesting. I hope they didn't change anything...

MemberMember
(@tawanda)

Posted : 12/18/2014 3:48 pm

Okay, so it's been like 9 months since my incident. I threw away all the acne.org products because of the extreme eczema and nothing has worked to control my acne. I have to say that I used the products for over a year without problems and then added the jojoba oil for dryness and the AHA as well.

I wonder if adding those two products did it.

I am currently using the 2.5% bp pharmacy brand and while it isn't making a dent in my acne, it's also not giving me any eczema.

MemberMember
(@mzzyhmd)

Posted : 02/05/2015 8:53 pm

i have redness around my nose area. it's not severe but it's noticeable! i'm wondering if it's because of the AHA that i'm using. i dont use dan's BP btw but i'll start it next week. i'm now scared. i had mild acne which is gone by the other BP i'm using but now i am stuck with redness and rough texture around my nose area. any solution? :( i'm currently using neosporin and hydrocortisone in that area

MemberMember
(@francescaasante)

Posted : 02/22/2015 6:21 pm

im experiencing puffy eyes and im wondering if anyone can help me please!!

I started the regemin about 5 months ago and it was going soo great, my skin had cleared up. i ran out of the acne.org moisturizer so i decided to use the jojoba oil without the moisturizer, i thought the jojoba oil would do the job as a moisturizer. everything was going fine for about 2 weeks and then my eyes started becoming puffy. so i stopped the regimin until i got some more moisturizer.

when the moisturizer finally arrived a couple weeks ago i went back to following the regimen strictly and my eyes are still swelling, whats going on, am i now allergic to bp?!

MemberMember
(@sparrowjack)

Posted : 03/18/2015 2:11 pm

I woke up this morning and my jojoba oil was frozen!! I used a blow dryer to bring it back to liquid form, will this affect its purity?

MemberMember
(@faramaobscena)

Posted : 07/08/2017 9:49 am

This is exactly what happened to me, at the end of 2016. I had been on the treatment for one year, I was using the BP only once a day, the smallest amount. My skin was 100% clear. Then I developed a massive dermatitis flare, my eyes were swollen, my skin was flaky and the skin on my neck was red.
I had to give up the regimen completely, treated my eczema based on doctor's prescription (some medicine and anti-inflammatory cream). At the time I thought the BP was the culprit, so I stupidly used the moisturizer one night: the next day my eyes were swollen!!!  I also attempted one time to use the AHA cream, same result :( 
Now it's been 6 months since I gave up the regimen and my acne is back with a vengeance! I get way more pimples than I did before I went on it! I am not using any treatment whatsoever because I am afraid the eczema will flare up again.
Even though I have tried several moisturizers, my skin is never 100% moisturized...my forehead (where I never used the regimen) has flaky spots, no matter how much I moisturize.
I am now desperate to clear up my acne, and at the same time terrified of trying anything :( At this point I would NOT recommend the regimen to anyone. If you think acne is bad, imagine what it's like with acne AND eczema, that never goes away. I truly hope I have not wrecked my face for good.

MemberMember
(@optimumcure)

Posted : 07/27/2017 5:15 am

Same thing here. I really wish dan could go back to his orginal formula, that had me soo clear. Im stuck with weird dermatitis and pustules now. So many people complaining about the moisturizer but nothings happened.

Merric liked
MemberMember
(@kakakakaka)

Posted : 09/17/2017 10:06 pm

So many people complaining about the moisturizer but nothings happened. Exactly!

MemberMember
(@unopposedloss)

Posted : 05/28/2019 8:57 am

Wow, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

I stopped using acne.org because my face was completly clear after 3 months and a half. But around the date of my period, I get one or two pimples on my chin so I decided to use the BP only on that area . Surprise, the next morning I woke up with my eyes and neck red and swollen. It was really itchy and I had to go see my doctor. She told me I had eczema and gave me 1% cortisone cream, to use 2x a day for seven days. I have a little spot left of eczema, but everytime I use the BP, it always does the same thing.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/29/2019 1:01 am

faram

Dry flaky ski indicates a fungal skin condition, which can be fixed with topical antifungal cream.

Fungal skin conditions are caused by taking antibiotics or birth control pills and a few othr meds.

Did you take antibiotics while you were using the benzoyl peroxide ?