Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Effectively Grown Out Of Their Acne After Using Bp And/or Other Acne Treatments

MemberMember
(@rigatron)

Posted : 04/08/2012 9:26 pm

I recently decided to wean myself off of doxycycline, because I felt it was having a negative impact on my overall health. At the same time of taking doxycycline I was using Adapalene gel (Differin). It was mildly working, and my pimples were less frequent and smaller. However, my face was always very red like I was having some sort of allergic reaction. I'm a 23 year old male, however physically immature for my age and started puberty late. I feel like I should of outgrown my acne by now, because my dad outgrew his acne in his mid 20's. I've recently stopped putting any kind of treatment on my face, except for washing it twice a day. I'm still getting pimples, but hopefully my face will eventually recover from years of abuse of BP and everything else.

Are there any success stories about coming off of BP treatment, and maintaining healthy skin? I'd be interested to know how many people can treat their acne with BP successfully, and then stop at the right time in their life.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/09/2012 9:26 am

i have tried stopping the bp so many times but it never works for me. i keep thinking that my skin will just clear up on its own but it doesnt so back to the benzaclin i go as well as the doxy. its very frustrating especially being 34 and always having to use topicals and take antiobiotics. ugh!!

MemberMember
(@rigatron)

Posted : 04/09/2012 10:36 am

i have tried stopping the bp so many times but it never works for me. i keep thinking that my skin will just clear up on its own but it doesnt so back to the benzaclin i go as well as the doxy. its very frustrating especially being 34 and always having to use topicals and take antiobiotics. ugh!!

Do you think it's more likely that you would always inevitably have acne, including if you never treated with topicals? Or do you think it's possible that putting topicals on your face has reduced your body's natural ability to fight acne?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/09/2012 11:08 am

Do you think it's more likely that you would always inevitably have acne, including if you never treated with topicals? Or do you think it's possible that putting topicals on your face has reduced your body's natural ability to fight acne?

I dont know but I never used topicals until I hit 19 because I never had breakouts until then. Over the years I have tried to stop using them for months at a time but my skin usually just keeps breaking out in that time and it seems that the acne takes forever to go away.

MemberMember
(@rigatron)

Posted : 04/09/2012 11:57 am

I dont know but I never used topicals until I hit 19 because I never had breakouts until then. Over the years I have tried to stop using them for months at a time but my skin usually just keeps breaking out in that time and it seems that the acne takes forever to go away.

Ok, thanks for your replys! Even though I've still been getting acne since I stopped using the topicals, I feel like my skin is getting better. I just think a 23 year old male usually doesn't have acne, and all these topicals I have been putting on my face have been creating irritation and limiting my immune system response. Of course this is all speculation, but I can only hope. I hope by the end of this month my face stops breaking out as badly, and I can use a lactic acid peel to reduce my PIH. Or I might just leave well enough alone, and go on with my life hah.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 04/09/2012 12:20 pm

I stopped using BP about a year and a half ago because it was damaging my skin. I don't think I would've ever "healed" properly, if I continued to use that "medication" (and I use that term with reluctance.)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 05/08/2012 3:31 pm

People who outgrow their acne or are able to wean off and be fine usually do not post here anymore. I know it may seem like they do not exist, but they do.

MemberMember
(@ewolf5150)

Posted : 07/23/2012 10:03 pm

good luck bro, i am also 23 and have had acne since 14 and its still just as prevalent as it was in high school. I feel like im the only guy my age still suffering from something that i thought u grew out of after your teens. It seems like it will b a part of my life forever and the regimen is getting real old after 3 years.

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 07/24/2012 11:34 am

see you are talking about two different things: out growing acne, and acne getting better from not using BP. For me it was kind of both. I stopped using bp in high school because it just made my skin ungodly dry. Things did get better, but it was no cure. I had the un-curable "normal" teenage acne. I would have had it anyways. But i do think that there are more people out there that will do better on a simple regimine such as just face wash and moisturizer.

As soon as I graduated, I noticed my skin getting better and I am sure I am in the "growing out of stage". I can look back at every six month increment since I graduated and notice a significant improvement. This is no quick process though, Its been three years since I graduated and I still feel like im not at my final goal.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/24/2012 4:47 pm

I don't think you grow out of acne unless your acne is a hormonal problem and your hormones magically decide to stabilize after puberty.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 07/28/2012 10:09 pm

how long have you been using the doxycycline for?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/05/2012 1:44 am

I've tried many times with no success but I'm about to start to give it another go. I used to break out in different parts of my face and my shoulders but now only around my mouth where I continue to use products. Everywhere else has cleared up over the years naturally I guess. It just seems like to much of a coincidence. I'm hopefully going to give it a month of gently cleansing in the morning with no topical's or moisturiser and see how I go. I'm a guy so shouldn't really be over cleansing my face as its not that dirty to begin with an I have no make up to wash off

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/06/2012 4:02 am

t.m., did you change your diet over the years?

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 10/03/2012 11:39 pm

I'm 29. I've used Dan's products for about 10 years. Every time I try to discontinue use, embarassing teenage level acne returns. I will never out grow my acne.