Notifications
Clear all

how often can we indulge?

MemberMember
(@tutti-frutti)

Posted : 04/20/2006 2:31 am

Hey guys, a quick question: how often can we indulge in 'treat' foods? most nutritionists suggest 1-3 treats per day, but does that differ for those of us with spots? i have been very strict with my diet for 8 months and only now am i beginning to crave some foods and realise that enjoying food is a great part of life....i cant remember the way i used to eat and how often i consumed chocolate, for instance. any help or reference to your own diets would be greatly appreciated! :)

MemberMember
(@cleo1987)

Posted : 04/20/2006 6:05 am

Hey guys, a quick question: how often can we indulge in 'treat' foods? most nutritionists suggest 1-3 treats per day, but does that differ for those of us with spots? i have been very strict with my diet for 8 months and only now am i beginning to crave some foods and realise that enjoying food is a great part of life....i cant remember the way i used to eat and how often i consumed chocolate, for instance. any help or reference to your own diets would be greatly appreciated! :)

Well, last week I had my first "indulgence" dinner for a holiday, and while I thought I'd broken out a few days later, I'm pretty sure it only turned out to be irritated redness from a topical I was using. Meanwhile, I also had a bit of ice cream (dairy!) and I've yet to see a reaction ( ) so I think it's ok to indulge yourself at least once a week. Lots of people have "cheat meals" twice a week.

MemberMember
(@xmarysue)

Posted : 04/20/2006 8:20 am

hey good for you for having the dedication to have made it 8 months!! personally, i think that has probably done a lot to clean out your system internally. i did the same.. for approximately the same amount of time, and then found that i was able to relax, and 'indulge' as you say.. on average probably 10-20% each day. so for example on any given day 80-90% of my food choices will be 'good' (for me, fruits vegetables, lean meats)- 10-20% will be 'bad' (for me, sugar, dairy, starch/wheat).

i also ensure that i drink plenty of water, exercise regulary and supplement with zinc and probiotics.

with this regimen i stay at least 95% clear.

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 04/20/2006 9:16 am

If you indulge every day, it's no longer an indulgence but a daily habit. Try to indulge a few times a week and make sure you keep out or minimize the worst offenders like trans fats.

MemberMember
(@dingo-jellybean)

Posted : 04/21/2006 11:10 am

Like someone said, indulgence twice a week is fine. It's usually best to involve those indulgence meals with your healthy meals.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 04/22/2006 8:04 am

i did this a few years back. I didnt have any fast food, or sweets or crisps. I lost over a stone actually and i was exercising a bit too.

Whilst it did help, you have to treat yourself to some things.. Anyway i stopped that and eat crap mainly, but still try to say away from sweet stuff IF possible.

MemberMember
(@cobby)

Posted : 04/22/2006 9:24 am

i didnt eat chocalate since christmas, cos i was told itad break me out, i also didnt eat carbs for the past 2 mounths becos that wudbreak me out, it seems everything wud break me out, i just eat wot i wnt now....

MemberMember
(@miss-josette)

Posted : 04/22/2006 10:03 am

I "indulge" every day...I don't think I do, but I eat my cereal every morning and most consider that an "acne food".

Over the past couple of weeks I've indulged more. I've ate a few cookies and ate out a few times. Why not? I cut these foods out of my diet and still had acne, so why deprive myself of the pleasure of eating things I enjoy?

MemberMember
(@dami4n)

Posted : 04/22/2006 12:16 pm

i wud say u shud moderate it but not let the thought of acne rule ur life

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 03/30/2013 9:46 am

hello!

i think indulging once in a while is not bad when u have a good diet and healthy life otherwise.but not over-doing it is the key.

even when u've not had junk or rich food for a mnth,u should not eat loads of eat at once.moderation is needed.

water helps.

and i guess aloe juice,cucumber juice and green tea should help too!(going by logic!)

luck,

aana(Removed)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/30/2013 9:51 am

Individual. It could depend on so many things about you and things you o. Do you otherwise eat extremely well consuming the most nutrient dense foods? Do you have ean muse? Do you move around every day? Do you slep right?

You really have to figure it out for yourself.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/30/2013 7:24 pm

I would say a "cheat" meal once or twice a week is perfectly reasonable.

What type of diet are you on? How restrictive is it?

I have found getting off dairy and cheese was pretty hard so I compromised. Milk only in tea. Sometimes strict diets are hard, so we have to find ways to compromise. For example, I love spaghetti so I switched to whole wheat pasta...now I love it and almost like it more than regular pasta. I also love enchiladas but it uses cheese, sour cream, and flour tortillas a lot. So now I experimented and found a good recipe for corn tortilla enchiladas with no cheese and its actually better than the ones I used to eat. Experiment, look up recipes, substitute items, make the diet work for you so it doesn't seem so difficult.