Notifications
Clear all

Anemia

MemberMember
(@cjb)

Posted : 03/13/2006 4:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I just found out I'm quite anemic. I don't know any details, my dr's receptionist just called and told me to come in and GET SOME IRON. Hmm, maybe that's why I require 10 hrs of sleep a night.

So of course I've been googling acne and anemia. Not much comes up, but I did read some stuff abuot anemia possibly stemming from malabsorption of iron due to compromised intestinal walls due to celiac disease, or other allergens. Also some other stuff about B12, which I suppose I may also be deficient in because of my vegan ways.

I was actually GLAD to find this out, because hopefully it will lead to some ANSWERS about my health, acne and all.

I'll ask my naturopath more when I see her, but if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 03/13/2006 4:49 pm

how did you find out that you're anemic?

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/14/2006 2:04 am

^ Probably a blood test. You just have to go to your doc and ask to get a blood test for iron levels.

MemberMember
(@cjb)

Posted : 03/14/2006 10:52 am

Yes, a blood test. The good news is that everything else appears to be normal, thyroid included. I can't decipher everything though, and I haven't met with my doc yet. She was also testing testosterone levels to see about polycystic ovarian syndrome.

MemberMember
(@sm42)

Posted : 11/04/2014 8:07 pm

I think there may be some link between my low iron levels and my acne. When I ate a pescatarian diet, I had plenty of iron and my skin was very nice. When I started eating less fish, my skin started getting pimples and then just got more and more. A couple months ago I went vegan and became severely anemic (I'm also a cross country runner) and my skin has been the absolute worse in this time. I started taking iron pills a couple weeks ago and my skin actually seems to be clearing up a little bit (it's still bad though - going to my first dermatologist appointment this week!)

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 11/05/2014 1:44 pm

If you're anemic, it's because you're vegan and not getting any b12. B12 is found only in animal products or fortified foods. I doubt the iron supplement your doctor is going to give you will do anything to fix this problem, although you could see a short term benefit.

MemberMember
(@sm42)

Posted : 11/11/2014 6:38 pm

If you're anemic, it's because you're vegan and not getting any b12. B12 is found only in animal products or fortified foods. I doubt the iron supplement your doctor is going to give you will do anything to fix this problem, although you could see a short term benefit.

I've been taking a B12 supplement for years, since I didn't/don't eat meat. :)