Notifications
Clear all

high blood pressure and birth control pills

MemberMember
(@summer2018)

Posted : 05/21/2019 6:15 am

Hey group,

I just finished my 3rd pack of Diane 35 last week and went to see my doctor. He said that my blood pressure is a bit high (140/91) and suggested that I wait for a while until it gets stable and then start my next pack. My skin has been getting better in the past 3 months and I am afraid that my hormone will freak out while I'm waiting. Has anyone experienced the same symptom while they are on the pill and will the blood pressure goes down once you stop taking the pill? How did you deal with it? Thank you so much!!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/21/2019 7:38 pm

You can bring your blood pressure down safely by taking beetroot tablets or beetroot powder.

Be careful taking birth control pills - they can cause fungal acne, especially if you also take antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 05/28/2019 7:55 pm

Diane/Dianette is quite a serious pill and can only be taken for a couple of years. If it's raising your blood pressure, I would seriously consider looking at alternative low dose pills (rather than going back on it), which do not carry the risks and you can take long term. Some are significantly better for acne than others, but you might need to try a few to suit you. I have tended to research the options myself then suggest to the doctor. There is a good post somewhere on the web explaining which pills are good, bad and neutral for acne based on hormone levels/ratios. I did well on Mercilon for years (having taken Diantette when younger, which gave me bad depression) and did not have bad break-outs when I came off it, as it is so low dose.

Any type of birth control will affect your gut flora though!

MemberMember
(@florey)

Posted : 05/17/2024 1:37 am

When I was pregnant, I also started having high blood pressure for the first time. It wastotallyunexpected. To manage it, Ireallyfocused on eating more fruits and veggies and less salt, and I kept a close eye on my blood pressure regularly.