Notifications
Clear all

Confused... FODMAPS and Candida/

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 02/20/2017 4:03 am

So After cutting out Wheat/Dairy/Sugar, I've been loading up on veggies to keep me full. I was considering using probiotics (kefir) to try and mend my potentially damaged gut after reading about Candida symptoms.

Went to my Doctor the other day and he mentioned 'FODMAPS' to me when discussing Acne, so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about... Turns out that aside from Wheat, things like Onions, Mushrooms and Garlic can also inflame the gut and lead to acne in some people. Large amounts of broccoli and Sweet potato too, all of which I've been eating tons, and continuing to break out (although no cysts).

On top of this, this diet states things like Kefir should be avoided.

I'm confused. I'm gonna cut down on the bad FODMAPS, but should I atleast consider consuming Kefir to try and mend my gut? Everything is so contradictory... What else helps heal the gut?

MemberMember
(@coffee32987528935)

Posted : 02/20/2017 5:43 am

Until there has been really hard evidence (AKA clinical studies with supportive, non-conflicting results) published and accepted by researchers and experts around the world that the diet has a strong impact on acne, I would not bother changing up your diet unless you plan to benefit from it in other ways (just being healthy, food allergies/intolerances, etc.).

I work in a large dermatology clinic and the doctors laugh when they hear things like "chocolate causes acne". Even according to a recent article from a reputable source, "the current status of the relationship of diet and acne is not clear and under debate". Do not read anything about the topic that hasn't been published professionally or in a scientific journal. Always double check the sources!

I stopped eating gluten/dairy/refined sugar ages ago due to food intolerances and still have acne. Although I am not a doctor and unqualified to provide medical advice, I would personally not bother changing my diet to influence my acne because there's just not enough solid evidence supporting the theory.

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 02/20/2017 11:22 am

What do you believe to be the underlying factor that causes acne?
I think it's fair to state that there are people whos acne has decreased in severity due to diet changes, although again, this doesnt apply to everyone.