Notifications
Clear all

Milk or Soy reaction causing my acne?!?!

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 01/27/2017 11:09 am

Everything was going so well the past two months. By the end of last week, I was clear and smooth. I was so happy with how I looked! Then, all of the suddenand I mean SUDDENlike within a 12 to 24-hour period from mid-day Sunday to Monday morningmy face just erupted in angry and inflamed comedones and cysts! Like a dozen of them all at once. About 4 of them were even in my T-Zone and I NEVER breakout in my T-Zone. (Mostly my cheeks.)

Another weird thingat the same time, I also broke out on my chest. (That never happens either!) My chest had all of these tiny little red dots and whiteheads spattered all across it. Hmm. My first reaction was to blame my skin care regime, but this chest stuff is not going to be caused by my regime--I dont even use those products on that part of my body and something is telling methat this breakout on my chest happening in the exact same 12-hour span as my face--is no coincidence.

Monday and Tuesday I did not make any major changes to my cleansing routineonly added a swipe of the PTR Max Correction pads on those two nights and did a few minutes of blue light therapy in an attempt to treat the existing blemishes. (These are pretty effective at treating existing spots, but not very effective at preventing new ones.)

By Wednesday, I had realized that the breakout was healing and that it actually had stopped as fast as it started. Strange. Additionally, the chest outbreak had magically resolved on its own. I hadnt done anything about that. It is now Friday, and aside from the aftermath of scabs and dried skin post-blemish, I amlooking much better...no new blemishes.

Ive notice that I encounter similar events weekly or bi-weekly. It does not correspond with my monthly cycleit almost seems to be random. However, this time it was more pronounced and dramatic and this little voice in the back of my head is telling me that logically, something had to trigger this. It was pretty dramaticsomething happened, something changed, but what was it?? My regime didnt seem to fit the billthe nature of it seemedmore likean allergic reaction?!?!

Im actually thinkingit mustve been something I ate.I did eat a few things this past weekend that I dont normal eat. I also indulged in more than normal of my favorite weekend treats. (I eat a stricter low-carb diet during the workweek). Things like chocolate, pizza, and ice cream. (Its like the Perfect Storm Tri-fecta, right?) I decided to take it a step further and investigate the ingredients (like I did with my face products). I found things (in abundance) like, whey, Soy lecithin, Soybean oil and carrageenan...offenders and allergens.

So, now I have decided that in addition to my regime, I am going to strip-down the diet and do some nutritional testing. I have a feeling that I may have a milk or soy protein allergy (or possibly both). I may also throw in a gluten test, for good measure.

Comments and questions are welcomedThanks for reading.
Bean

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 01/27/2017 3:58 pm

Ugh. :( This sounds awful, I'm sorry. Milk is notorious for worsening acne. If it's a lot of soy you're consuming, it could be either you're just sensitive to soy OR maybe you're estrogen dominant and soy products are worsening your estrogen:progesterone ratio and causing serious breakouts. 

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 01/31/2017 4:38 pm

On 1/27/2017 at 2:58 PM, cloudydreamer said:

Ugh. :( This sounds awful, I'm sorry. Milk is notorious for worsening acne. If it's a lot of soy you're consuming, it could be either you're just sensitive to soy OR maybe you're estrogen dominant and soy products are worsening your estrogen:progesterone ratio and causing serious breakouts. 

Thank you for this!!! I have been researching like crazy since I read this...I totally think I am! I went back through the history and closely looked at when I was logging a major breakout (journal) and how it timed with the start of my period...I think I've been having my major breakouts over ovulation. 

I have ordered some hormone tests and natural progesterone cream (since I'm waiting on AF to show up any day now)...The cream treats both ED and PCOS and I could be either/both right now? I will know more once I test...

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 02/03/2017 12:37 pm

On 1/31/2017 at 4:38 PM, TheBean said:
Thank you for this!!! I have been researching like crazy since I read this...I totally think I am! I went back through the history and closely looked at when I was logging a major breakout (journal) and how it timed with the start of my period...I think I've been having my major breakouts over ovulation. 

I have ordered some hormone tests and natural progesterone cream (since I'm waiting on AF to show up any day now)...The cream treats both ED and PCOS and I could be either/both right now? I will know more once I test...

You're welcome. :) I truly think I have the same problem. I'm going to get further hormone testing done too and I may get a saliva hormone testing kit to compare to my blood work. However, they can be a bit expensive. I would definitely wait to use the cream until you get your test results back, though, just to be safe. I am convinced I have PMDD which I also think is from estrogen dominance...so if you have bad PMS/PMDD maybe that's also a clue that you have an imbalanced ratio. 

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 02/04/2017 10:30 pm

For sure,  I've noticed my PMS is getting worse lately.  I can't wait to get my period,  so I can stop being such a bitch. ;P
I've eaten really clean this week and I've cleared up.  I'm not sure I'd this is from my hormones fluctuating,  or avoiding the food.  It will reveal itself in time.  I'm going to do the test and continue to avoid trigger foods and test them one at a time.