Notifications
Clear all

Diet?

MemberMember
(@chris-123)

Posted : 07/08/2016 9:21 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong section im new.So after 5 years of bad acne and trying multiple treatments (tetralysal,minocil,duac,benzoyl peroxide) Ive concluded that my diet has to be causing my acne.I drink alot of milk for breakfast (3 bowls of cereal) for lunch i ususally have a whitebread ham sandwich,and my dinner is usually rather healthy.Inbetween meals i eat pretty badly (Biscuits,crisps).Besides removing the crisps biscuits is there any other tweaks i can make to my diet?

MemberMember
(@purplebengal)

Posted : 07/09/2016 12:29 am

The milk!! I went to the dermatologist and I asked as they were putting me on medications, what even is the main cause of acne? And she told me dairy. Milk has a hormone in it that cows produce that we also produce, giving us an unnecessary amount of the hormone. I eat a lot of ice cream and cereal so for me, it makes sense. For you, also makes sense. I try to cut back on my dairy now. Substitute soy milk for real milk, it's really good!! I hope I helped :)

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 07/15/2016 1:37 am

On 7/8/2016 at 3:21 PM, Chris.123 said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section im new.So after 5 years of bad acne and trying multiple treatments (tetralysal,minocil,duac,benzoyl peroxide) Ive concluded that my diet has to be causing my acne.I drink alot of milk for breakfast (3 bowls of cereal) for lunch i ususally have a whitebread ham sandwich,and my dinner is usually rather healthy.Inbetween meals i eat pretty badly (Biscuits,crisps).Besides removing the crisps biscuits is there any other tweaks i can make to my diet?

you don't describe how bad your acne is

MemberMember
(@stephanie1905)

Posted : 07/15/2016 2:56 am

I have suffered from bad skin since I was in secondary school, from about 15 years old. I would say it was mild acne and large clogged pores. I like most people tried all the creams lotions and potions there was but nothing helped. I also have very sensitive skin so most of the products I was trying dried out my skin, so I would have to moisturise which clogged my pores and just ended up in a catch 22 situation. 

After doing some research I found that it was all triggered by hormones so I investigated further and came to the conclusion it was my diet. Alcohol and drugs, fast food, sugary foods(sweets and processed foods) and dairy- you have to cut these out and I mean cut them out for good! I only eat whole foods and I buy nothing that has been processed(the amount of sugar in them types of food to make them taste good is shocking!)

My skin has now been clear for about a year and if I eat eggs for more than a few days in a row, or delve into a tub of Ben and Jerrys, over the next week I can guarantee my skin will be bad- life is just not fair ey.

I eat porridge(natural oats only- not the ready made microwave stuff or the add water to the pots(FULL OF SUGAR), strawberry and bananas for breakfast. Or Weetabix with almond milk(I find even lactose free milk is ok for me- do not have soy milk as its full of hormones)
For lunch I eat a variety of tuna and sweet potato jacket , chicken cous cous and veg, brown toast and egg(on the odd occasion), salmon and veg

I eat whatever I want for dinner as long as I have been good during the day and haven't eaten any sweets or had anything I know will affect my skin- even a red bull triggers my skin. Anything from spag bol, lasagne, roasts, fajitas

For snacks have nuts, or fruit. fruit has natural sugar so it helps the sweet cravings.

You really have to stick to not eating crap for about 2 weeks(this is when I noticed I wasn't getting any more spots) and don't cut corners. After about a week I noticed I didn't even want to buy the nasty crap on the shelves and it has turned my life around!

Another important  note- I also drink about 3 litres of water as this helps flush the toxins out and hydrate my skin- all helping with clear skin and fast healing!

hope this helps :) 

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 07/15/2016 3:29 am

Simple.

Eat only what comes from the nature, ditch the man made processed stuff (even including bread). Ditch milk. 

That is good enough :)