Notifications
Clear all

How long does a diet change take to work?

MemberMember
(@sadmang)

Posted : 05/29/2016 2:26 am

I started working out trying to bulk a few months ago and drinking a ton of milk/whey protein. My acne was really bad (cystic) the past few years but cleared up somehow for most part over time. After I started working out and drinking milk/whey I was fine. Then I added an OTC Testosterone Supplement. I have no idea if it was the testosterone supplement (I didn't take it long maybe 2 weeks, but around then is when my skin got worse) or the milk/whey. It's been over a month since I touched the test supplement, and I've cut the milk/whey for most part for a couple weeks now. Still no change in my acne. Been getting a cyst once a week with some small inflamed pimples.

I was drinking the protein/milk for about 2 months before the bigger acne came in. That's why I'm not sure if it's from that or not. I've read people who eat/drink acne triggers it happens to them within a week, then some say it can take a while.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/29/2016 10:57 am

8 hours ago, Sadmang said:

I started working out trying to bulk a few months ago and drinking a ton of milk/whey protein. My acne was really bad (cystic) the past few years but cleared up somehow for most part over time. After I started working out and drinking milk/whey I was fine. Then I added an OTC Testosterone Supplement. I have no idea if it was the testosterone supplement (I didn't take it long maybe 2 weeks, but around then is when my skin got worse) or the milk/whey. It's been over a month since I touched the test supplement, and I've cut the milk/whey for most part for a couple weeks now. Still no change in my acne. Been getting a cyst once a week with some small inflamed pimples.

I was drinking the protein/milk for about 2 months before the bigger acne came in. That's why I'm not sure if it's from that or not. I've read people who eat/drink acne triggers it happens to them within a week, then some say it can take a while.

both dairy and testosterone supplements are terrible for acne. You could use non dairy protein powder but tbh I'm not gonna recommend testosterone supplements. Be healthy.

MemberMember
(@noquitter)

Posted : 05/29/2016 2:57 pm

Honestly, those who I know of who have cleared their acne through diet modifications it took 6 months to 2 years. It is a LONG process much like "healthy weightloss".

People that starve themselves and senselessly avoid healthy foods tend to be the types that see their acne clear up for a few months and then return with vengeance. Then they develop an eating disorder called "orthorexia". People that have a healthy relationship with food (no paranoia or starvation) and proper nutritional education are the ones that are able to clear their acne in the long term as I mentioned above, though it takes a long time. Relapses are much less common for these types.

MemberMember
(@sadmang)

Posted : 05/29/2016 6:27 pm

Only reason that seems odd is because if my acne was from dairy, I drank it for about 2 months. So it'd take 6 months to 2 years to get back to my body to settle down from whatever it does it cause it? Just sounds like a very long time. I have no idea though that's why I asked. Just curious but why do you think it would it take that long? Just from friends experiences?

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 06/17/2016 11:56 pm

I find that positive diet changes affect me very quickly. I experimented with a couple of possible acne triggers I suspected and saw an improvement within 2 days and had completely clear skin by a week. I've had completely clear skin for a month now - the first time in my life without medication!

Previously I had tried strict diets (i.e. vegan) and seen no change after 2-3 weeks and wondered why not (often my acne would get worse), thinking that it may take a long time. In my experience, if you are not seeing a change within a week, it is probably not the right diet change for you, or something else is a trigger.

I found it easier to monitor inflammation each day, rather than new spots, to identify a trigger - my skin seemed to respond negatively within 6-12 hours to the food I identified as my own triggers. Another way to monitor easily is to check out your digestive system. If it is not functioning well, you can bet that you are probably experiencing an outbreak! See how different foods affect your digestion. Clear skin has always coincided with my digestion working effectively.

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 06/24/2016 12:40 pm

I get a clear back after a week to 10 days of not eating milk or dairy.
If it took months i would never find out anything.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/24/2016 9:40 pm

8 hours ago, Coce99 said:

I get a clear back after a week to 10 days of not eating milk or dairy.
If it took months i would never find out anything.

yeah I can't imagine taking years!

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 06/24/2016 10:58 pm

It depends. If it's a food intolerance, like dairy, you should start seeing a difference within the first few weeks. If it's a larger issue, like messing with your hormones through testosterone supplements, it may take a long time and you may even resort to medication to sort things out. I would suggest going to a doctor and checking your hormone levels.