MemberMember
(@alleballe90)

Posted : 09/04/2015 7:07 pm

I'll summarize my story:

15-16 y/o: started getting acne

17-20 y/o: got worse

21 y/o: got on accutane

22-23 y/o: clear.

24 y/o: started breaking out again, not extremely severe like I had in the past, but it was pretty bad.

Like a lot of others that took accutane, I thought that I was done with acne and inflamed red skin for good but I was wrong. I was ready to do anything, I had some days of despair but eventually decided to get to the bottom of it. I had one huge realization: I had good days and bad days. My acne and overall complexion could change over-night. One day the big red pimple on my forehead would be tender, swollen and irritated and the next day it'd be almost inactive. If you can relate to this, you should probably read on.

2015 began and I started logging everything; skin status, weather, showertime, AC exposure (trains, airplanes etc) and most importantly: my diet. Slowly I weaned out most of the factors (this process was incredibly tedious, since weaning out a single possible trigger could take weeks, if not months.). The wetness and moisture on my face after a unsually humid day had a different 'feel' to it than from the greasy moisture I would feel on bad days. Pinpointing the specific subtle differences in how my skin felt on good and bad days was not always the easiest task.

The months of logging and weaning left me with one UNDENIABLE fact: diet is the way to wholesomely control my acne. I am not saying that diet can CURE acne, I am saying that diet can control acne and overall skin health. It is not a cure because of the simple fact that some people can eat junk and get away with it without getting pimples while others can't. I know that this is not what we want to hear when we are desperate but bear with me because seeing progress and feeling better immidietly gets rid of that desperation we all feel.

For me, two dietary factors were plaguing my skin (and still do sometimes): Blood sugar and histamine.

Most of you can disregard the histamine issue because I think that it is pretty rare but do read up about histamine intolerance if you feel itchiness in your nose, scalp, eyes, ears after eating certain foods (usually an instant reaction).

Controlling blood sugar is the most important thing for me to control my acne and complexion.

A modified paleo is basically what lets me control my skin. I cut anything meal with a high glycemic load. I cut artificial sweeteners and even natural sweeteners such as honey, agave, etc. I try not to eat a lot of fruit all at once. I do intermittent fasting (I started with this for other health-benefits). When my sugar spikes, I will become greasy, inflamed and most likely break-out (mostly on my forehead), there is a lot of research out there on why this happens so I'm not going to cover that.

Here's a pretty hardcore meal/fast-plan that i follow and love, not only for acne but for overall health and workout. Try it for 1-2 weeks.

Breakfast: Water and sometimes 1-2 tsp L-Glutamin.

2nd meal (around 2-3pm): 125g Salmon/some other fish/chicken with a bunch of vegetables, 100-200g plain yogurt, 250g beans and maybe some cheese or nuts.

Snack (sometime inbetween): 1 fruit

3rd meal (around 6-7 pm) 250g Salmon with a bunch of vegetables, 100-200g plain yogurt, 250g beans and maybe some cheese or nuts.

Snack (sometime inbetween): 1 fruit

Stop eating around 9-10pm

Now the intermittent fasting is probably not necessary, but its awesome and has many benefits.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 09/05/2015 4:48 am

I agree diet has a big impact on my skin. Your diet looks very similar to mine :) Sugar and too many carbs causes bad breakouts for me. This diet might not fix everyone 100% but it definitely helps alot.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 09/06/2015 9:15 pm

Good job in articulating your methodology in reference to your interpretation of low carbohydrate protocols.

Simple explanation for possible role in pathogenesis of acne and insulin...

Insulin is the hormone secreted in response to blood sugar rise and glucose-glycogen energy regulation. Most people don't know is that insulin is also a very anabolic hormone that is a major contributor/factor to GH secretion (growth hormone) and IGF-1 secretion (insulin-like-growthfactor 1). A little bit of complicated cellular metabolic lingo later....and it eventually mediates the activity of the Pl3k/Akt pathway....

Pl3K/AKT/mTOR is a cellular pathway utilized in the regulation of a cell's cycle. Mediation along this pathway caused by the activating mechanics of insulin/IGF-1 has been associated with an increase activity in sebaceous lipogenesis, sebocyte/keratinocyte proliferation. These are known factors that greatly aggravate acne.

reference....

-lipogenesis- in simple terminology the process by which glucose is converted over to be involved in triglyceride synthesis--subsequent fat storage....

sebocyte- cells in the sebaceous glands/epithelial.. Very sensitive to androgenic activity and account for a role in oil production on the skin...

keratinocyte- cells in the outer epidermis of our skin. basically the cells you see on your face are keratinocytes. Keratinization is the process associated with those describing how are skin "sheds" cells. Over expression of the protein keratin can lead to clogged pores

Roll of Insulin in Diet and Acne here

If you want to learn more here is the information regarding Pl3K/AKT/mTOR pathway regulation here