Notifications
Clear all

How To Get Enough Carbs?

MemberMember
(@missan)

Posted : 07/23/2015 1:32 pm

Hi there!

I have recently started looking into gaining weight and using diet to cure my acne, two things that do not mix well... I work out quite a lot, about 5-6 times a week and my struggle atm is getting enough carbs. The things I'm cutting out are anything with gluten, dairy or a lot of added sugar. Also potatoes.. But simply cause I don't like them, haha.

The only typical carby things I'm eating atm are oatmeal and quinoa. I find it hard to make interesting meals with just these two things and it's beginning to feel repetitive. I'm trying to eat about 260 grams of carbs a day so the struggle is REAL. It probably doesn't sound like a lot to some of you but I get full sooo easily..

I like quinoa for dinner, but it would be nice to mix it up once in a while. Is rice okey? If so, which type? I know it's impossible to say because we are all different, but is it okey for most people? I've read that rice causes acne for some, but it's certainly not as common as acne from wheat.

My biggest problem right now are the snacks inbetween the big meals lunch and dinner. For breakfast I eat 1,25 dl of oatmeal spread over a "yoghurt" made of soy milk, 1 dl oatmeal, a banana and mixed frozen berries. I like it a lot, but not enough to also eat it inbetween lunch and dinner and before I got to bed... I used to eat bread, but again with the gluten... What could I eat to get enough carbs instead? Would gluten free store-bought bread be okey? I've been looking into making my own bread but there are soooo many ingredients and I'm a busy med student so that's not an option. Those recipes also ALWAYS include some weird gluten free flour mix. Well, weird to me since I've have never even heard of them before.. What exactly are in these mixes and how can I be sure it's not something that also would make me break out?! So much confusion

Member Customer Service
(@acne-org-support)

Posted : 07/23/2015 2:46 pm

Hi Missan,

I'm sorry to hear about your diet. The best way to have healthy skin is to eat foods with complex carbohydrates, anti oxidants and those rich in Protein, Vitamin E, C, B and Omega 3.

For complex carbohydrates, you may try yams, beans, squash, brown rice, corn and even lentils. You may eat any variety of fruits and vegetables but in moderation. Some people do have break outs if they eat too much of certain fruits or vegetables.

If you are not that into meat, you may eat tofu and fish as a source of protein. Good luck on your diet!

Hi there!
I have recently started looking into gaining weight and using diet to cure my acne, two things that do not mix well... I work out quite a lot, about 5-6 times a week and my struggle atm is getting enough carbs. The things I'm cutting out are anything with gluten, dairy or a lot of added sugar. Also potatoes.. But simply cause I don't like them, haha.

The only typical carby things I'm eating atm are oatmeal and quinoa. I find it hard to make interesting meals with just these two things and it's beginning to feel repetitive. I'm trying to eat about 260 grams of carbs a day so the struggle is REAL. It probably doesn't sound like a lot to some of you but I get full sooo easily..
I like quinoa for dinner, but it would be nice to mix it up once in a while. Is rice okey? If so, which type? I know it's impossible to say because we are all different, but is it okey for most people? I've read that rice causes acne for some, but it's certainly not as common as acne from wheat.

My biggest problem right now are the snacks inbetween the big meals lunch and dinner. For breakfast I eat 1,25 dl of oatmeal spread over a "yoghurt" made of soy milk, 1 dl oatmeal, a banana and mixed frozen berries. I like it a lot, but not enough to also eat it inbetween lunch and dinner and before I got to bed... I used to eat bread, but again with the gluten... What could I eat to get enough carbs instead? Would gluten free store-bought bread be okey? I've been looking into making my own bread but there are soooo many ingredients and I'm a busy med student so that's not an option. Those recipes also ALWAYS include some weird gluten free flour mix. Well, weird to me since I've have never even heard of them before.. What exactly are in these mixes and how can I be sure it's not something that also would make me break out?! So much confusion

I would really appreciate some opinions on the matter! Keep in mind that I get full very easily so preferably things packed with carbs, vegetables are not enough..

MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 07/23/2015 6:10 pm

You don't necessarily need carbs to gain weight. You need calories.

I put on 15 lbs of muscle in the last 10 weeks on a heavy meat, eggs, avocados, nuts, coconut oil and butter diet.

Also, make sure you are not overtraining.

MemberMember
(@burritolift)

Posted : 07/24/2015 12:11 am

I put on 15 lbs of muscle in the last 10 weeks on a heavy meat, eggs, avocados, nuts, coconut oil and butter diet.

15lbs of muscle in 10 weeks man you must have some freaky genetics if you put on that much muscle. BTW O P what is your reason for cutting out gluten ??

MemberMember
(@missan)

Posted : 07/31/2015 9:56 am

Agree to disagree.. I believe that carbs are essential to gaining weight. Besides, to reach my 2600 kcal goal I'd have to eat a lot of fat (=unhealthy) or a lot of protein (=expensive).

15lbs of muscle in 10 weeks man you must have some freaky genetics if you put on that much muscle. BTW O P what is your reason for cutting out gluten ??

I'm cutting out gluten because I keep bumping into it when I'm doing research on acne and diet. The three biggest triggers seem to be dairy, gluten and sugar.

MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 07/31/2015 10:28 am

Agree to disagree.. I believe that carbs are essential to gaining weight. Besides, to reach my 2600 kcal goal I'd have to eat a lot of fat (=unhealthy) or a lot of protein (=expensive).

Protein CAN be expensive but doesn't have to be. You don't have to eat ribeyes steaks every day. Eggs and canned sardines serve me well without breaking the bank.

Fat isn't "unhealthy." Are you grouping them all together? Humans have been eating fat in various forms for our entire existence. Fat is in every natural human food. This crazy notion that fat or even saturated fats and cholesterol are unhealthy is outdated and untrue. It's 1960s era advice; the timeframe when doctors weren't even sure if smoking was bad for you.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/time-magazine-we-were-wrong-about-saturated-fats/

In 2015 we know that trans-fats, sugar, vegetable oil, and possibly grains are actually the things you want to avoid.

MemberMember
(@burritolift)

Posted : 07/31/2015 12:20 pm

>

I'm cutting out gluten because I keep bumping into it when I'm doing research on acne and diet. The three biggest triggers seem to be dairy, gluten and sugar.

Well carbs are essential but it all comes down to Calories in vs Calories out just how RipVanWinkle suggested. There are many ways to get "Healthy" calories in you just have to do some research and narrow down to what things you can and cant each. The only things i tend to avoid are "unhealthy" fats which i have noticed when i eat them they make me break out "A lot". So i try to avoid them but i consume them every once in a while. So in your case if that is what triggers your acne then you have to find alternatives. good luck

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 07/31/2015 12:25 pm

I suggest eating sweet potatoes, yams, and beans. All of these are excellent sources of carbs and very low in fat... Try baking a large yam or sweet potato for 45 minutes at 425 degrees (wrapped in foil), remove the yam or potato and load it up with black beans, cilantro, avocado, salsa, organic corn, and other various vegetables. Basically this is a potato or yam "taco" and they are amazingly filling -- I eat this about 2-3x p/week. If you are trying to bulk up, double the amount of beans. Best of luck :)