Notifications
Clear all

Eliminating Dairy + Caffeine?

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 04/24/2015 12:11 pm

Hey,

This is my second post today, but I really want to evaluate whether dairy and/or caffeine could genuinely be causing my acne.

I drink one Yakult dairy probiotic drink a day because I am on antibiotics for my acne. I've replaced my breakfast cereal milk with oat milk, because I try and avoid dairy.

However, I also drink one cup of coffee a day made with milk. I've heard that caffeine causes androgen hormone levels to rise and this, along with the "fight or flight" hormones, can stimulate acne.

But, I've had acne since I was 12 and definitely didn't drink coffee then. Perhaps the dairy has really been causing my acne for all these years, but I'm seriously unconvinced, because I have an extremely oily, problematic skin type, which points to a general hormone issue and not diet-caused acne.

This sounds silly, but I love coffee so much that going without it isn't pleasant for me. I think I should try to cut it out of my diet for a bit though, as it's my only real dairy intake and the caffeine component could, of course, be causing my acne too in theory.

If I cut out this daily coffee for 2 weeks, I would notice if it was causing my acne, right? Surely I would notice a decrease in new spots forming? Or is it another intensely slow thing - would it take about 4 months of no dairy and caffeine for me to notice if those things are giving me problems?

MemberMember
(@goawayacne123)

Posted : 09/26/2017 5:25 pm

Do it. I didn't see results until a month in, and now its been two months off of dairy (I still eat some butter, sometimes a small ice cream scoop etc.) but it has drastically changed my skin for the better and obviously your happiness. I still drink coffee.

I would also try eating less meat too! I'm giving that a go, but its definitely harder to reduce meat than to reduce dairy products.

Maybe get off the antibiotics, try taking pill form probiotics and digestive supplements + going dairy free??