Notifications
Clear all

High Triglycerides

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2015 3:29 pm

I recently got back some blood work and my triglycerides are high.

Total cholesterol: 173
Triglycerides: 157
HDL cholesterol: 69
LDL cholesterol: 73
T. chol/HDL ratio: 2.5

I only eat oats, rice, fruit, veggies, and lean meats. Have any of you guys had issues with triglycerides? How did you improve them?

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 01/09/2015 6:03 pm

@paigems....I'd wished I had the answer.

I'm 52,diagnosed with high cholesterol by the age of 26.

My brother,was diagnosed by the age of 34.

My mom and dad ,who are into their 70's,never had high cholesterol.

I tried lipitor ,that gave me severe muscle pain.

I tried simvastatin that had high interaction with my hypothyroidism synthroid medication. Some doctors don't do their homework,we have to do it for them.

The hypothyroidism came until 12 years ago.

As for controlling the triglycerides,it has been a though one in my case .

Everyone is different.

I have noticed that diet does little in my case,it helps but doesn't level or control them.

Reducing stress makes more of a difference.

My cholesterol levels have varied over the years. Recently I found a blood work that I had it done about 22 years ago and my cholesterol levels were higher than they are right now. Figure that out.

As I said,everyone is different.

If your doctor offers you to help you with prescription medications,read about all the side effects and interactions.

If you prefer to do it with herbal remedies or over the counter products,get informed too,because they might control the cholesterol levels but give you some other side effects.

Best wishes

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2015 8:16 pm

@paigems....I'd wished I had the answer.

I'm 52,diagnosed with high cholesterol by the age of 26.

My brother,was diagnosed by the age of 34.

My mom and dad ,who are into their 70's,never had high cholesterol.

I tried lipitor ,that gave me severe muscle pain.

I tried simvastatin that had high interaction with my hypothyroidism synthroid medication. Some doctors don't do their homework,we have to do it for them.

The hypothyroidism came until 12 years ago.

As for controlling the triglycerides,it has been a though one in my case .

Everyone is different.

I have noticed that diet does little in my case,it helps but doesn't level or control them.

Reducing stress makes more of a difference.

My cholesterol levels have varied over the years. Recently I found a blood work that I had it done about 22 years ago and my cholesterol levels were higher than they are right now. Figure that out.

As I said,everyone is different.

If your doctor offers you to help you with prescription medications,read about all the side effects and interactions.

If you prefer to do it with herbal remedies or over the counter products,get informed too,because they might control the cholesterol levels but give you some other side effects.

Best wishes

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I've ever had high triglycerides in the past. My diet has been very high in carbohydrates lately, but I eat the "good" carbohydrates like oats, fruits, and veggies. I'm going to try to add more good fats into my diet, but I'm concerned about that making my acne and oily skin worse.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 01/09/2015 10:50 pm

@paigems... I think you are in the right track.

Oats are supposed to be good to fight high cholesterol,but have to be eaten without milk,I think you already know that.

Some fruits have a lot of sugar , my best these days are gala apples and bananas, and love watermelon in the summer.I developed sensitivity to citrus and berries..

Look up for the good fats but if your skin is balanced,dont make any changes.

Chia seeds are recommended to decrease cholesterol,but for what I have read,we need to balance omega 3 with omega 6 ,and since I'm very lazy at making shakes and juices(the juice maker is collecting rust ) I have been buying this supposedly organic mamma chia drink , the cranberry lemonade works , and it's the one l buy .

My thyroid is really sluggish and this drink keeps me regular ,I only drink 1/2 of bottle a day , if I drink the whole bottle I end up flushing (regular )my whole meal plus my thyroid medicine.And believe me, this thyroid had me constipated for 3 days at a time.

I didn't notice what the chia drink was doing until my husband asked if I was loosing weight and yes I weighted myself and I had lost 6 pounds within 2weeks ,with the chia and eating chicken , and vegetables ,bananas and apple .

No sugars or dairy .

It is hard for me to do clean diets ,when I have my follow up appointments, the doctor tells me , if you don't go on a healthy diet , I'm going to have to put you on a prescribed cholesterol pill, and I reply,no ,I promise I will try.

I can't take cholesterol pills , they mess up my thyroid and they make me sick. I have tried most of the statins.

So ,just eat healthy, as you are doing.

Best wishes.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 01/11/2015 9:39 am

Total cholesterol is okay as it is <200. HDL are above 60 which is good too see; higher better. LDL's are okay <100 is good. Would be interested in the vLDL's tho. but the trig's are up as you say.

Decrease maybe lean meats. Not all lean meats are created equal. Incorporate more fish, tuna, salmon, poultry. Increase diet of omega 3's, take CQ10, niacin.Stay away from red meats. Excercise most important.

Eating more soluble fiber and specifically at night with the even meal (or spread it out) as that's when the body produces most of its cholesterol may help your numbers.