Notifications
Clear all

I Want To Help My Brother

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 12/25/2014 9:15 pm

My brother and I both suffer from acne ever since puberty, he is now 27 I'm 31. His acne is more severe than mine and it has caused some scarring mainly on his forehead. I'm currently treating my acne with birth control, atralin, and finacea. Along with eating healthy and taking supplements such as vitamin d3, omega 3, b-complex, and probiotics. My skin is doing very well, I'd say I'm about 85% clear.

I want to help my brother though. He has never had clear skin. For me, birth control has always kept my acne at bay. Obviously that is not an option for him. He has also taken Accutane but it didn't work for him.

I'm thinking of recommending he try the regimen even though ive never tried it, on top of taking supplements like the ones I'm taking. He doesn't eat very well so maybe I can offer advice on what to eat more of without putting him on a restrictive diet. He's very skinny.

I hate how most treatments make acne get worse before it gets better. My brother needs a break and deserves clear skin. Wish doctors were more helpful.

Any advice on how I should approach this? I don't want to upset him in any way, just want to offer some help. I also don't want to lead him down the wrong path.

I know my acne is mainly hormonal. How do men tackle hormonal acne? Would the regimen work for his stubborn acne? He also has oily, dry skin. He tried washing his face every few days and that helped a lot for about a month. Now his skin is bad again. I feel the need to help him somehow.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/25/2014 10:10 pm

is his acne cystic?

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 12/25/2014 11:39 pm

Not really, he'll get big pimples here and there but none that I would classify as cystic. I saw him a few days ago and he had a few big ones on his chin. But he has acne all over. I think his uneven skin makes it look worse than it is though. His forehead tends to be oily with some scarring while his mouth area is red and dry. I think him washing his face less frequently helped reduce the irritation but I'm assuming with the holidays and eating more sweets his acne worsened.

I'd have to ask him what he has tried, I know he has taken Accutane but I don't know at what dose or for how long. I do remember his acne becoming cystic and widespread while he was on it and never clearing. His acne is a tough one for sure, but I'm hoping to find a good topical regimen for him while we figure out some of his internal issues.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/26/2014 4:42 am

Not really, he'll get big pimples here and there but none that I would classify as cystic. I saw him a few days ago and he had a few big ones on his chin. But he has acne all over. I think his uneven skin makes it look worse than it is though. His forehead tends to be oily with some scarring while his mouth area is red and dry. I think him washing his face less frequently helped reduce the irritation but I'm assuming with the holidays and eating more sweets his acne worsened.

I'd have to ask him what he has tried, I know he has taken Accutane but I don't know at what dose or for how long. I do remember his acne becoming cystic and widespread while he was on it and never clearing. His acne is a tough one for sure, but I'm hoping to find a good topical regimen for him while we figure out some of his internal issues.

The irritation could be caused by the harsh stuff he's using on his face. I'd definitely recommend moisturizer if he doesn't already use it. Clarify with him regarding his accutane, im surprised it hasn't worked on him because I've seen it work on even the worst cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 03/29/2015 4:47 am

u sound like my situation except i'm the little brother and my sister doesn't care about my acne problem now that she has her miracle BC pill haha

I've been fighting acne since I was 18 and I'm now 29. For the past 2 years I have been on a strict healthy diet and cut out junk food from my diet completely. I dunno if it's cause the damage has been done but after jumping on the diet it takes about 1 full year for my acne to settle down. I'm not only fighting red marks and the occasional pimple here and there. I've also come to realise that alcohol maybe the cause of the lingering acne here and there so I might be cutting that out completely soon.

I'm also pretty skinny. 180cm and only weigh 67kg. Hope this info helps