Notifications
Clear all

My Way Too Clear Skin.

MemberMember
(@glynboop)

Posted : 07/23/2014 6:32 am

Hi \guys.

i used to be on this website nearly everyday scouring for possible answers to what i felt was a hopeless cause. i have been very lucky too find out what was causing my skin problems and other bodily issues which allowed me too work on getting my life back.

In Desperation for my consistent skin problems i turned to a naturopath. Although i was extremely skeptical at first following what she has said has worked a charm.

i was diagnosed with candida and many other deficiencies and issues within my body. With this information i have changed my diet which included cutting out booze, dairy, sugar, caffeine and replacing them with much more suitable and healthy alternatives. I Am also taking a large amount of supplements (which can be a pain and im not going to list them because they are tailored for my individual need)

it took 3 months of following my regime to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I URGE anyone who is at a lost end to what is causing their skin problems to book an appointment with their local naturopath and im sure they will see and feel some form of improvement to their life and well being which will hopefully include skin problems.

Hope this helps at least one person

Glyn

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/25/2014 2:46 am

moved to diet / holistic health forum

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/25/2014 7:23 am

Good for you. I agree that a naturopath can be helpful if you're overwhelmed with where to start but in my experience (i've been to 3), most of them just take a shot in the dark of what ails you based on what you tell them. Many don't do blood or saliva tests and rely on ridiculous methods like muscle testing to 'diagnose' you. You can also end up spending thousands of dollars for services and supplements that may not help and can in fact harm you (one naturopath had me on a supplement that my GP said was harming my body). With that said, an inital consultation can be great for people that have never looked into healing their acne naturally.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/26/2014 1:34 am

I agree...if the naturopath is not experienced in dealing with skin issues specifically, then they will just go through probable issues (e.g. candida) and hope that that is your issue.

I also don't like it when they recommend too many supplements...keep in mind that many naturopaths actually receive commission and/or discounts from specific stores (one naturopath I went in Europe to refers all his customers to a specific pharmacy/health store to increase supplement sales).

I think the conservative approach is to just start with a few supplements, plus diet changes, and see if there is improvement. No need to take more than you need.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/26/2014 6:32 am

I've been meaning to see a naturopath but I haven't got around to it yet. I've always had the impression though that they'd take one look at me, see my skin isn't great and then just tell me something that's possibly generic and not actually specific to me (like candida etc).There's one at my local health food store that advertises food sensitivity testing. I think they do saliva testing too - not sure. If I do get around to going, hopefully they're a more experienced / reliable naturopath.

But I was just wondering if any of you know how reliable saliva testing is? I don't really know anything about it but I thought I'd read somewhere that it wasn't that accurate, reliable or helpful. I'm just curious about it - so if you have info on it, let me know, - thanks :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/26/2014 11:09 am

I've been meaning to see a naturopath but I haven't got around to it yet. I've always had the impression though that they'd take one look at me, see my skin isn't great and then just tell me something that's possibly generic and not actually specific to me (like candida etc).There's one at my local health food store that advertises food sensitivity testing. I think they do saliva testing too - not sure. If I do get around to going, hopefully they're a more experienced / reliable naturopath.

But I was just wondering if any of you know how reliable saliva testing is? I don't really know anything about it but I thought I'd read somewhere that it wasn't that accurate, reliable or helpful. I'm just curious about it - so if you have info on it, let me know, - thanks

Hey lilly,

If you do decide to see a naturopath, do some background research on them (e.g. check if they have patient ratings & reviews)...like with any doctor, not all naturopaths are experts at any particular issue. If they try to give you a bunch of supplements without really trying to get to the root of your individual problems, then it means they are not knowledgeable enough about acne.

Saliva testing (and I also heard good things about urine testing) is better than blood testing if done through a reliable source...this is because saliva testing tests your hormones during different points of your cycle, not just once like blood testing. Hormones fluctuate all the time, which is why saliva testing gives you a better indication of which hormones could be causing an imbalance. Also, many times, it doesn't matter whether your hormones are in the "normal" range (which is still too broad for most women)...it's the RATIO that matters more, e.g if you have very low progesterone compared to testosterone or estrogen.

I remember seeing your photos before you started the regimen, and I'm pretty sure your acne is hormonal...perhaps some of it is sensitivity to products or something like that, but I would say it's probably mostly hormonal. So it might be a good bet to get some hormone tests done when you can.

The other thing I forgot to mention recently is how much acupuncture has helped me. It can take a few tries to find the right practitioner, but honestly, my former acupuncturist (before I moved) was able to diagnose most of my health issues (including anemia) before I even got bloodwork done. They also helped me with digestive issues and stress.... but acupuncture, at least in the beginning, needs to be done regularly and consistently to pay off. It really is the most individualized treatment you will ever get.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 07/26/2014 2:56 pm

Naturopaths, I think, are useful for diagnoses. The tests they can order are extremely extensive and can tell you all about the state of your vitamin and mineral levels, gut flora, and immune responses. However, I am not so sure that naturopaths are particularly useful when it comes to remedies. Other than following a paleo-esque diet and taking a good multivitamin (and maybe vit D), there isn't a lot a naturopath can offer - and none of these solutions require a naturopath. I would be wary of any herbs prescribed, too, as some can be dangerous.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/26/2014 9:26 pm

But I was just wondering if any of you know how reliable saliva testing is? I don't really know anything about it but I thought I'd read somewhere that it wasn't that accurate, reliable or helpful. I'm just curious about it - so if you have info on it, let me know, - thanks

Hey lilly,

If you do decide to see a naturopath, do some background research on them (e.g. check if they have patient ratings & reviews)...like with any doctor, not all naturopaths are experts at any particular issue. If they try to give you a bunch of supplements without really trying to get to the root of your individual problems, then it means they are not knowledgeable enough about acne.

Saliva testing (and I also heard good things about urine testing) is better than blood testing if done through a reliable source...this is because saliva testing tests your hormones during different points of your cycle, not just once like blood testing. Hormones fluctuate all the time, which is why saliva testing gives you a better indication of which hormones could be causing an imbalance. Also, many times, it doesn't matter whether your hormones are in the "normal" range (which is still too broad for most women)...it's the RATIO that matters more, e.g if you have very low progesterone compared to testosterone or estrogen.

I remember seeing your photos before you started the regimen, and I'm pretty sure your acne is hormonal...perhaps some of it is sensitivity to products or something like that, but I would say it's probably mostly hormonal. So it might be a good bet to get some hormone tests done when you can.

The other thing I forgot to mention recently is how much acupuncture has helped me. It can take a few tries to find the right practitioner, but honestly, my former acupuncturist (before I moved) was able to diagnose most of my health issues (including anemia) before I even got bloodwork done. They also helped me with digestive issues and stress.... but acupuncture, at least in the beginning, needs to be done regularly and consistently to pay off. It really is the most individualized treatment you will ever get.

Thanks so much for that! Really helpful 🙂

I'd definitely research them before hand. Going to a homeopathic doctor (not sure if that's the right term - but they're a medical doctor who also has naturopath qualifications etc) is something I'd consider too. I like the idea of combining both approaches or at least being to hear 'both sides of the story' at once.

I think my acne is related to hormones more than anything else. When I've had blood tests for hormone levels / to see if I have PCOS, they've come back within 'normal' ranges. But it's interesting to know about the ratio difference even if in normal ranges. I don't remember if things were out of balance in that sense. I assume they would be - but I'll have to get all that checked again. Thanks for the info on saliva testing too 🙂 I'll look into it

That's great acupuncture has helped you. I've also been considering it lately for joint issues. Another thing to look into more seriously!

Thanks again 🙂

MemberMember
(@mermaidstar)

Posted : 07/26/2014 10:59 pm

Don't bother with quacks, just eat sensibly (non processed food) and use a topical if you have to.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 07/26/2014 11:28 pm

That's awesome. I like that naturopaths will treat the whole person and not just the symptom. It seems like a way better way to go about healthcare. Maybe it's not for everyone but I trust them way more than I trust doctors. I think a lot of people have candida and don't know it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/27/2014 2:29 pm

I wish you'd correct your title. I read it wrong every time I see it. It's 'to clear.'

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/27/2014 2:50 pm

Hey lilly,

Thanks so much for that! Really helpful

I'd definitely research them before hand. Going to a homeopathic doctor (not sure if that's the right term - but they're a medical doctor who also has naturopath qualifications etc) is something I'd consider too. I like the idea of combining both approaches or at least being to hear 'both sides of the story' at once.

I think my acne is related to hormones more than anything else. When I've had blood tests for hormone levels / to see if I have PCOS, they've come back within 'normal' ranges. But it's interesting to know about the ratio difference even if in normal ranges. I don't remember if things were out of balance in that sense. I assume they would be - but I'll have to get all that checked again. Thanks for the info on saliva testing too I'll look into it

That's great acupuncture has helped you. I've also been considering it lately for joint issues. Another thing to look into more seriously!

Thanks again

I think you mean integrative doctors? I went to see one when I moved to a new city, but unfortunately she was more knowledgeable about actual drugs (if even that), and the only "natural" treatments she offered were the standard ones she recommends to all patients: vitamin D tests (which actually did show I was deficient), candida/ parasite cleanse, natural progesterone cream, and an anti-estrogen chinese herb. I didn't feel like she took my particular case into consideration,and the fact that she asked me what tests I think she should order made her lose credibility, lol.

So yeah, as with everything, do your research beforehand and ask for recommendations.