Notifications
Clear all

Spice And Sugar Breaks Me Out! Please Help!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/16/2014 11:38 pm

Hey guys,

Quick background - I have been dealing with cystic acne around my mouth for 10 years. If you want to read a detailed background, its here

Anyways, I have been on Minocycline (100mg) for 6 months but I knew I was on borrowed time so I decided to make sure I do enough research to prevent getting acne around my mouth by the time I become resistant to it.

SO what I realized by trial and error was that when I cut out all refined sugars, white rice and bread and SPICES from my diet I got 90% clear. However, I have been on this diet for like 5 months now and I am starting to get really depressed. Even a small piece of cake/chocolate once a week breaks me out a lot around my mouth!!

I cannot add spices because that gives me acne for some weird reasons too! (I heard it's because it increases sweating and inflammation or something which is weird since spices are supposed to be anti-inflammatory). BTW I am talking about south asian spices here which are really hot!

Basically the food I prepare is usually tasteless and I am getting really depressed with that. I cannot eat sweet or spicy food. I cannot continue eating the same tasteless food everyday. I do not understand what's wrong. Do I have an insulin resistance problem? Even some veggies like tomatoes and avocados break me out.

Whole wheat bread does not break me out at all by the way.

Is there any way to heal my body so I can start having sugar and spice again?? Please help me out guys, it really sucks that I cannot enjoy food how I used to without breaking out like crazy. This is really depressing me!!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/17/2014 9:11 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/17/2014 9:57 pm

Bumpp

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 10:51 am

Hello?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 1:25 pm

Help a nigga out

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/18/2014 3:45 pm

So keep avoiding the sugar. For reasons far more important than acne. Make sure your meals are low to moderate glycemic load. If you have a small piece of cake, be sure to have it with fat & fiber to lower the glycemic impact. And don't stress about it.

And there are all kinds of spices. They can't all break you out. figure which. Try less.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 8:00 pm

Hey thanks a lot for your response. I was starting to lose hope on here lol

I think its the really spicy stuff that gets to me, makes me all sweaty and stuff too. I want to try diff sauces too but they have some sugar added to it like BBQ or teriyaki. Don't know wht type of sauce people use here but I'd love to get some feedback on that too.

Also not sure how to eliminate this spice issue. There has to be a way!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/19/2014 12:10 am

Try taking digestive enzymes

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/19/2014 12:14 pm

Sorry I don't understand how that would help or what they are. Can you please explain? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 06/24/2014 10:21 am

Why do you want to eat sugar so badly? Once I gave it up, I stopped craving it after a while. Just try to forget about it. You'll soon find sweetened things too sweet for your taste. I had a bite of cheesecake, which was the first sweetened thing I've had since my wedding, and it was so sweet I couldn't even stomach more than that. Try experimenting with spices. It might just be capsasin (in peppers) that you're sensitive to. Try seasoning your food with herbs and garlic and avoid peppers if they are causing you grief. You can't be sensitive to ALL seasonings. There is just too much variety out there.

seasonings to try:

Basil

thyme

sage

dill

parsley

bay

nutmeg

cinnamon

garlic

ginger

fennel

oregano

cumin

Basically try anything NOT made from a pepper or peppercorn and see how it works out.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/28/2014 5:35 pm

Sorry I don't understand how that would help or what they are. Can you please explain? Thanks!

digestive enzymes help your body digest food