Notifications
Clear all

B Vitamins And Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/13/2014 4:04 pm

Can anyone shed some light on which B vitamins--and at which strength(s)--are good for helping prevent and/or heal acne lesions?

Every time I've tried taking a Vit. B Complex, I developed nodulocystic acne within 3 days' time. Sometime thereafter, someone on this forum stated that one of the B vitamins--I forget if it's B2 or B6, maybe?--can cause acne if it's concentration is greater that 50 mg.

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/13/2014 9:31 pm

Avoid b complexes, they have high % of B12 and biotin, which can cause acne if taken in high amounts.

For me, the best B vitamin is B-8 inositol, which ironically is usually omitted from b-complexes.

B6 can help too, and niacin (B3?)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/13/2014 10:01 pm

Avoid b complexes, they have high % of B12 and biotin, which can cause acne if taken in high amounts.

I couldn't remember which B vitamin(s) tend to cause problems, so thank thank you for clearing that up--pun definitely intended. ;) My particular supplement is Super B-50 by Nature's Plus; yes, it has B-12 (50 mcg) and Biotin/B-7 (50 mcg). Ugh.

For me, the best B vitamin is B-8 inositol, which ironically is usually omitted from b-complexes.

B6 can help too, and niacin (B3?)

Interestingly, Super B-50 does contain B-8 (50 mg), and, of course, Niacin (as Niacinamide/B-3, 50 mg). But with the B-12 and Biotin, it's a wash. *sigh*

If you don't mind me asking, what specific B supplement/brand do you use--or have you used--that contains B-8 and Niacinamide?

Thanks so much for the current info.!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/13/2014 10:26 pm

the most balanced b-complex I found so far is solgar's b-complex stress formula with vitamin C. But even that gave me tiny pimples so now I just supplement with inositol (for hormonal balance) and I drink vitamin water zero for other vitamins (including niacin) and minerals. I also take occasionally herpanacine, which is a mini-multivitamin. The rest I try to get from food.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/13/2014 10:49 pm

the most balanced b-complex I found so far is solgar's b-complex stress formula with vitamin C. But even that gave me tiny pimples so...

Since Solgar's B-Complex Stress Formula with Vitamin C contains B-12 (Cobalamin), I don't dare touch it. Granted, it has 25 mcg, vs. the 50 mcg of B-12 (Cyanocobalamin) in Nature's Plus Super B-50.

The main reason why I bought Nature's Made complex is that it doesn't contain any stearates, which I've read prevent the full absorption of vitamins; so you're not getting what you pay for if a supplement contains one or more of them. Still, a whole lotta good it does me to go stearate-free if the vitamins, themselves, cause me to break out. Heh.

...Now I just supplement with inositol (for hormonal balance) and I drink vitamin water zero for other vitamins (including niacin) and minerals. I also take occasionally herpanacine, which is a mini-multivitamin. The rest I try to get from food.

Clearly, I need to research Vit. B-8, as I could stand to help balance my hormones. (I want to stop taking birth control pills one of these days; I must have a plan in place and implemented for balancing my hormones before making that leap.)

And I've not even heard of Herpanacine, so, clearly, I've more research to do. :)

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 04/13/2014 10:54 pm

If you want to balance your hormones to ease the transition off birth control there is a natural supplement called Estrosmart by Lorna Vanderhaeghe that is great. (not sure where you live but it is available in Canada)

Lorna also has a website and has written several books about women and hormones.

Might be worth taking a look at.

MemberMember
(@jari-litmanen)

Posted : 04/14/2014 6:53 am

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2010/11/18/the-vitamin-that-can-give-you-acne/

http://www.weighttraining.com/faq/can-vitamin-b-cause-acne

The above links claim that even B-6 could cause breakouts.

I personally believe it doesn't matter how much of these vitamins you take, as long as the ratio is correct. A lot of these B vitamins work in a synergy. As an example, too much B-5 can and will compete with biotin for absorption, throwing the balance off. I eat 300mcg biotin and 100mcg B-12 as part of a B-complex and I don't experience any breakouts from it. When I was eating biotin alone I experienced one of the worst breakouts I ever had.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 9:36 am

I personally believe it doesn't matter how much of these vitamins you take, as long as the ratio is correct. A lot of these B vitamins work in a synergy. As an example, too much B-5 can and will compete with biotin for absorption, throwing the balance off. I eat 300mcg biotin and 100mcg B-12 as part of a B-complex and I don't experience any breakouts from it. When I was eating biotin alone I experienced one of the worst breakouts I ever had.

Let me guess: the correct ratio of these vitamins is dependent on the individual? :( Or is there a general consensus on a ratio that works for most adults (especially adult women)?

I don't know which B vitamin(s) in the B-50 Complex I tried is/are to blame for my previous breakouts. All I know is that every time I've tried taking it--at least 3 different times--I always developed a nodule or cyst on the third day, at which time I stopped taking it. (My particular complex contains only 50 mcg of B-12, so I suspect that even that dose affects me negatively. Bah.)

MemberMember
(@jari-litmanen)

Posted : 04/14/2014 10:51 am

On 4/14/2014 at 8:36 PM, PrettyInside said:
On 4/14/2014 at 5:53 PM, jari litmanen said:

Let me guess: the correct ratio of these vitamins is dependent on the individual? Or is there a general consensus on a ratio that works for most adults (especially adult women)?

I don't know which B vitamin(s) in the B-50 Complex I tried is/are to blame for my previous breakouts. All I know is that every time I've tried taking it--at least 3 different times--I always developed a nodule or cyst on the third day, at which time I stopped taking it. (My particular complex contains only 50 mcg of B-12, so I suspect that even that dose affects me negatively. Bah.)

I wish I knew. I don't even know if there is any ratio like that, but the way B vitamins interact with each other makes me believe so. There are supposedly optimal formulas for stress and fatigue ([Removed]) so maybe there's one for acne as well?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 11:32 am

On 4/14/2014 at 9:51 PM, jari litmanen said:

There are supposedly optimal formulas for stress and fatigue ([Removed]) so maybe there's one for acne as well?

That is the million-dollar question.

MemberMember
(@talon)

Posted : 04/14/2014 5:55 pm

For months I have been suffering from insomnia, and after some research found that in some people, if taken at bedtime can cause insomnia. Changed when I take it - and yup, it was causing it. So definately try taking it in the morning.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 9:37 pm

For months I have been suffering from insomnia, and after some research found that in some people, if taken at bedtime can cause insomnia. Changed when I take it - and yup, it was causing it. So definately try taking it in the morning.

Are you speaking about Vit. B-12?

MemberMember
(@talon)

Posted : 04/15/2014 5:50 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned, B Complex.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/15/2014 7:31 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned, B Complex.

So it gives you insomnia if taken too late in the day, but it didn't make you breakout? Well, at least there's that one bright spot for ya'. :)