Notifications
Clear all

Why Does My Skin Respond So Well To Vitamin C?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:01 pm

I take 2000 mg of vitamin C and my skin loves it. It becomes much less oily and red. Also, whenever I eat a lot of foods high in vitamin C my skin also improves. Why could this be? Lately I've been thinking it may have something to do with my adrenals. I have almost all of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and in the past I had high DHEA-S which is an adrenal hormone. Any thoughts? Do any of you guys suspect you might have adrenal fatigue?

MemberMember
(@glee12)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:10 pm

Who knows? Just be glad that it helps. Vitamin C does have properties that help with the integumentary system and therefore also skin.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:22 pm

I'm really interested as to why it helps though. Maybe if I knew I could improve myself more through other measures instead of just popping vitamin C. I think my skin would benefit more from even more than 2g a day of vitamin C, but I don't want to take more than that.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:52 pm

Who cares??? When something is working for me, I run with it! Glad you've found something that works for you!

On a more sciency note, vitamin C helps with the immune system as well as wound healing.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:59 pm

Adrenal health& thus thyroid function & stress management is a good guess. I used to know more reasons why we want more vitamin C specifically for acne, but don't recall. Its an important component in collagen and thus needed to create new cells. Any new cell.

You need to get it in small doses throughout the day though. Your body only uses so much at a time and it passes through your system in a few hours.

That said, I think I may have to include meyer lemons amongst the citrus I can't have. Although the acne increase is subtle, I do have a cyst on my shoulder blade and a largish pimple in my hairline. I haven't had these in a long time. Meyers are some kind of cross between a lemon and an orange, which I can't have.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/17/2014 6:03 pm

I can't eat citrus so I try to get my vitamin C from other sources like Kale, which has a ton. I hate eating it, so I juice it instead. It makes my juice look muddy, but the taste isn't so bad.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/17/2014 6:46 pm

Thanks guys. I do get a lot of vitamin C from my foods (spinach, broccoli, peas, carrots, strawberries, etc.), but the supplements just seem to help a lot more. I do try to take them staggered throughout the day so that my body doesn't get overloaded with a ton of vitamin C all at one time.

I've long suspected I have some sort of adrenal problems because I have an anxiety disorder. Even when I'm calm I think I'm slightly more tense than than the average person which I know can't be good for me.

Also sorry to hear about your reaction to meyer lemons alternativista. When I find a food that breaks me out it feels sort of good (finding a piece of the puzzle) but disappointing (because I'll have to avoid that food).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/18/2014 8:49 am

Meyer lemons are so good, And they are organic, home grown lemons I'm given by friends & family. Of course they try o give me satsumas & grapefruit & the like too which I have to reject.

It's kind of proof that my issue isn't a citric acid intolerance as Meyers are much less aciic than regular lemons or Persian limes. You can't make ceviche with Meyers, for example.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 02/18/2014 10:33 am

if reflexotherapy isn't bogus you can massage the adrenal points, like from this map see if they particullary hurt when pressing.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/18/2014 10:46 am

I suffered from an anxiety disorder until my mom took me to a naturopath in high school. She put me on a fairly high dose of magnesium and niacin and I have had no troubles with generalized anxiety since. Of course, I still get nervous about things like any normal person. High stress situations are bad for anyone, but I no longer have panic attacks about nothing and I no longer get into the deadly circular thinking panic loop. This is partly due, I believe, to the supplements, but also to behavioral therapy.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/18/2014 7:13 pm

I don't kno about the foot thing, but I've looked into some accupressure points to relieve headache. I get a sharp pain in my temples. And theres pressure points at the base of the skull just about an inch in from each ear. While I've never relieved pain by pressing on them, i can press there and cause the sharp pain in my temple. So they are connected. And I think it's supposed to hurt when you press on a pressure point or you aren't doing it right. Either wrong spot or not hard enough.

And yeah, magnesium is good. Relaxes muscles, blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, helps sleep. There's a form/combo called Natural Calm.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/18/2014 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I can definitely relate to the panic attacks and panic loops sometimes over absolutely nothing. I'll have to look into the magnesium.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 02/19/2014 10:08 am

it would be easy to hypotesize that "never-ending acne" sticks to those with acne prone skin (acne as teenagers) who are unsettled-restless (you can see it early in children, some have this feeling of "everything will be fine" and others on the contrary). this emotional stress goes much deeper, the proof is the sigh, where the effort requires more oxigen. i doubt this happens when dealing with math for example, unless of course you're slipping into "what's wrong with me that i find it so hard" thoughts. it could overstress the adrenals i think, especially if it's later in the day.

@alternativista: i looked into an old pressopuncture book, and for headaches (if i'm translating it correctly) they recommend this hegu point , and 2 points at the forehead hairline corresponding to the base of the eyebrows.

those points at the back of the skull are related to menopause in this book. i did a lot of massaging at those points you mentioned for my mom's headaches, they had temporary relief. later she said her ELF-device (extremely low frequency) helped her as much, although i think it's a placido effect (as in placido domingo lol).

but after 48y her headaches stopped (related to menopause). her menopause also treated her cold hands issue. to bad it never treated her dry coughing issue.