Notifications
Clear all

Fed Up!

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/05/2014 1:46 pm

So for the last 5 months i have been following a gluten free, dairy, yeast, often grain and for as much as i possibly could sugar free diet.

Taking -

30 billion strain probiotics

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

Basically following as close to as i could the anti candida/leaky gut diet and my skin is the worst it has ever been. I have over 30 active spots on my forehead alone, i have read that people say they break out from probiotics and have given up but surely 5 months is long enough for them to have done some kind of good... My skin is an absolute mess! I have lost so much weight from not having grains too.

Whenever i think i am making some sort of progress up pop 3 or 4 painful nodules, work is becoming intolerable due to my appearance and my relationship is definitely suffering... I have tried my hardest to stick to the diet in the hope of some good coming but 5 months with worse skin is surely a sign it isn't working... Accutane isn't an option for me as my cholestrol is high genetically...

Is there ever going to be a light at the end of the tunnel?!?! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm very active, go to the gym at least 4 times a week, hydration isn't an issue as i consume well over 3 litres of filtered water a day

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/05/2014 2:26 pm

Is your acne mainly inflammatory or noninflammatory?

If inflammatory, you could try colostrum. It's an immunomodulator, takes 2-3 weeks to see results, will get worse at first because of the growth factors.

I would cut out the probiotics if your digestion is fine. If it's not fine, then there's part of the problem, and you need to change your plan.

Consider whether soy or citrus could be causing problems. Wheat and dairy are the most common allergens, but others exist. You just have to find the right one(s). Soy and citrus are the next two most common, I would say (especially soy).

I would also consider a mild topical regimen consisting of a mild cleanser/soap and a good moisturizer, and perhaps even some BP to get you through.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/05/2014 2:36 pm

So for the last 5 months i have been following a gluten free, dairy, yeast, often grain and for as much as i possibly could sugar free diet.

Taking -

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

Basically following as close to as i could the anti candida/leaky gut diet and my skin is the worst it has ever been. I have over 30 active spots on my forehead alone, i have read that people say they break out from probiotics and have given up but surely 5 months is long enough for them to have done some kind of good... My skin is an absolute mess! I have lost so much weight from not having grains too.

Whenever i think i am making some sort of progress up pop 3 or 4 painful nodules, work is becoming intolerable due to my appearance and my relationship is definitely suffering... I have tried my hardest to stick to the diet in the hope of some good coming but 5 months with worse skin is surely a sign it isn't working... Accutane isn't an option for me as my cholestrol is high genetically...

Is there ever going to be a light at the end of the tunnel?!?! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm very active, go to the gym at least 4 times a week, hydration isn't an issue as i consume well over 3 litres of filtered water a day

My guess is that you are overdoing it with the supplements. First you need to get your body used to your new diet, then add supplements one by one. If your body is weak from candida and/or leaky gut, it's not able to properly absorb all these supplements anyway.

My advice is to just stick to a healthy diet and keep the supplements at a minimum. Look into low histamine diets for leaky gut, they helped me more than the anti-candida diet. Basically lots of vegetables (no tomatoes or other histamine releases though), some meats, sweet potatoes, some rice initially.

Also, my opinion is that anything that causes too much acne is not worth it, even if it is a purging stage. If I were you, I would quit the milk thistle, psyllium husk, omegas, glutamine (if you want to boost glutathione, try l-glutathione supps instead for about a month. Glutamine has been known to cause breakouts in some), probiotics (or just take acidophilus only, millions not billions initially - start slow), and really most other things you are taking. Focus on nutrition for now. I don't see anything wrong with digestive enzymes, though, so you can keep those provided there aren't any additives in them. I recommend enzymedica's digest spectrum, but if you are looking for something less pricey then check your whole foods store.

Ingredients in the supplements might also be upsetting your digestion, like colorings, fillers, etc, which is another reason to minimize them as much as possible.

Try not to drink water with meals as that can make digestion harder...drink water at least 30 mins before/after meals, and in between meals.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/05/2014 3:36 pm

My BM's used to be roughly once every 2 or 3 days prior to starting this diet and now they are at least twice a day so it shows something has definitely improved internally. I ALWAYS found my acne flared up whenever i consumed fizzy pop/alcohol/energy drinks & crisps so this led me towards the leaky gut/candida route... The reason i have been taking the liver supplements is obviously cholestrol is controlled in the liver and with mine being genitically high i wanted to try and give my liver some additional help...I've never really been a big fruit eater so it's only in the past couple of weeks i have added apples into my diet and warm lemon water in the morning. Interestingly the only thing that has ever cleared me up with light treatment at the hospital but i was too young to remember what exactly it was for in relation to my skin! I have tried all the topicals from the chemists and most of the oral antibiotics all to no avail.. the only thing i've found that doesn't dry my skin out is cetaphil cleanser.

I have stopped taking the probiotics 2 days ago as they seem to be causing my skin no end of problems, it was never as bad as it currently is pre probiotics.. my final port of call is statins from the doctors in relation to the cholestrol but lots of side effects in relation to physical exercise. It's just incredibly frustrating when you have made so many lifestyle changes and lost years of hard work in the gym etc ( people constantly telling me i look ill due to the weightloss of trying minimal carbs ) and it's made no difference to my skin whatsoever

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/05/2014 7:42 pm

My BM's used to be roughly once every 2 or 3 days prior to starting this diet and now they are at least twice a day so it shows something has definitely improved internally. I ALWAYS found my acne flared up whenever i consumed fizzy pop/alcohol/energy drinks & crisps so this led me towards the leaky gut/candida route... The reason i have been taking the liver supplements is obviously cholestrol is controlled in the liver and with mine being genitically high i wanted to try and give my liver some additional help...I've never really been a big fruit eater so it's only in the past couple of weeks i have added apples into my diet and warm lemon water in the morning. Interestingly the only thing that has ever cleared me up with light treatment at the hospital but i was too young to remember what exactly it was for in relation to my skin! I have tried all the topicals from the chemists and most of the oral antibiotics all to no avail.. the only thing i've found that doesn't dry my skin out is cetaphil cleanser.

I have stopped taking the probiotics 2 days ago as they seem to be causing my skin no end of problems, it was never as bad as it currently is pre probiotics.. my final port of call is statins from the doctors in relation to the cholestrol but lots of side effects in relation to physical exercise. It's just incredibly frustrating when you have made so many lifestyle changes and lost years of hard work in the gym etc ( people constantly telling me i look ill due to the weightloss of trying minimal carbs ) and it's made no difference to my skin whatsoever

funny thing with Probiotics, they contain the very foods causing the digestive problems. The only brand I found that didn't, killed my wife's and my stomach anyway.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/05/2014 8:05 pm

Taking -

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

If they are nodules, I would focus on identifying possible food intolerances. Add back in some good grains like oats for the calories. Few people are intolerant to oats. Have you tried avoiding other common allergens like eggs, citrus, peanuts, soy, nuts, etc? Relax on the anti-candida strictness and Avoid allergenic fods one by one or follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a while then methodically add foods back.

MemberMember
(@youknow1)

Posted : 01/06/2014 4:35 am

Brandylad

Please do not eat oats, they contain a lot of phytic acid, it is NOT good for you. Rats can eat oats and alternativista, the rat queen. I'm sorry to see you suffer from these guys poor advices, it's gonna be a long and painful life for you when you listen to these guys advices.

There are 5 major and 1 minor factor that contribute to acne:

1. Hormonal activity (primarily from androgens, male hormones).

2. Inflammation

3. Overproduction of oil by the sebaceous (oil) gland. Your oil glands are an important site for the formation of active androgens that control oil production.

4. Irregular or excessive shedding of dead skin cells, both on the surface of the skin and inside the pore.

5. Buildup of bacteria in the pore, leading to inflammation.

6. Sensitizing reactions to makeup, irritating skin-care ingredients, specific foods (rarely), allergies, or medicines.

As you can see # 6 is the minor factor and the people in this section of the forum are primarily using the least contributing factor to treat acne so needles to say that the results are NOT SO GOOD.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/06/2014 6:54 am

Taking -

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

If they are nodules, I would focus on identifying possible food intolerances. Add back in some good grains like oats for the calories. Few people are intolerant to oats. Have you tried avoiding other common allergens like eggs, citrus, peanuts, soy, nuts, etc? Relax on the anti-candida strictness and Avoid allergenic fods one by one or follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a while then methodically add foods back.

No eggs, nuts, or soy as far as i know Alternativista, this past week i have added citrus in the form of lemon juice in the morning but my skin was a mess long before this. I've never really been a big fruit eater so i really wouldn't know if i had allergies to them. My mum thinks my skin could be due to my high cholestrol which obviously has a huge impact on the liver but then it baffles me why accutane would work for some when it increases their cholestrol levels.. Basically the only things that i eat at the moment are:

Wholegrain rice

Gluten free Pasta

Chicken

Salmon

Tuna

Salad

Apples

Broccoli

Carrots

Kale

Spinach

Sweet Potato

That is pretty much my diet, obviously missing nutrients which is why i supplement as much as i do but it's hard to see an allergen in that list.. apples and carrots have only been added in the past 10 days or so. Obviously the meat isn't organic so could be full of pesticides, hormones & gluten diet. It's very strange that since i started on the probiotics my acne pretty much concentrated on my forehead and minimal elsewhere... If i wear a hat it is impossible to tell i am a big acne sufferer

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 9:00 am

Brandylad

Please do not eat oats, they contain a lot of phytic acid, it is NOT good for you. Rats can eat oats and alternativista, the rat queen. I'm sorry to see you suffer from these guys poor advices, it's gonna be a long and painful life for you when you listen to these guys advices.

• Hormonal activity (primarily from androgens, male hormones).

• Inflammation

• Overproduction of oil by the sebaceous (oil) gland. Your oil glands are an important site for the formation of active androgens that control oil production.

• Irregular or excessive shedding of dead skin cells, both on the surface of the skin and inside the pore.

• Buildup of bacteria in the pore, leading to inflammation.

• Sensitizing reactions to makeup, irritating skin-care ingredients, specific foods (rarely), allergies, or medicines.

As you can see # 6 is the minor factor and the people in this section of the forum are primarily using the least contributing factor to treat acne so needles to say that the results are NOT SO GOOD.

Wrong again, YouknowNothing1

Diet affects 1-5. Each and every one of them. And diet is the best way to treat them.. Also, the hyper proliferation of skin cells which combined with inflammation is the real root cause of acne. Nodules & cysts, however tend to be a response to some type of intolerance.

And your remarks about oats are stupid. Phytic acid is not actually bad for you and is reduced in proper cooking. Oats are about the least harmful grain on the planet. The benefits far outweigh any negatives. Especially to someone with cholesterol issues. And someone who needs more calories.

And your first sentence, in addition to demonstrating your English skills, is the kind of personal attack posts that should be reported and could get you banned.

Taking -

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

No eggs, nuts, or soy as far as i know Alternativista, this past week i have added citrus in the form of lemon juice in the morning but my skin was a mess long before this. I've never really been a big fruit eater so i really wouldn't know if i had allergies to them. My mum thinks my skin could be due to my high cholestrol which obviously has a huge impact on the liver but then it baffles me why accutane would work for some when it increases their cholestrol levels.. Basically the only things that i eat at the moment are:

Wholegrain rice

Gluten free Pasta

Chicken

Salmon

Tuna

Salad

Apples

Broccoli

Carrots

Kale

Spinach

Sweet Potato

That is pretty much my diet, obviously missing nutrients which is why i supplement as much as i do but it's hard to see an allergen in that list.. apples and carrots have only been added in the past 10 days or so. Obviously the meat isn't organic so could be full of pesticides, hormones & gluten diet. It's very strange that since i started on the probiotics my acne pretty much concentrated on my forehead and minimal elsewhere... If i wear a hat it is impossible to tell i am a big acne sufferer

So your acne changed with the diet & supplements? Did you always have nodules?

That is a nutrient rich group of foods, so you shouldn't need to supplement for fear of deficiencies. Except for vitamin d, maybe magnesium. What is total omega? You shouldn't need to supplement anything but omega 3. Sardines, mackerel, & herring are other good sources that are cheaper than salmon, btw. Tuna really isn't a great source. And if you eat all that, you shouldn't need to supplement omega 3. Some people break out from supplements likely due to quality issues. Save your money & spend on the food.

What's in the gluten free pasta? How are you eating it? Remember is the GL of the entire meal that matters.

How are you using the psyllium husk? You shouldn't need it except before a high glycemic cheat treat.

Oats are one of the best foods for cholesterol, btw. Ideally, steel cut and soaked overnight with a little yogurt to break down the phytic acid that binds up nutrients. Oats are high in beta glucans, a soluble fiber that is one of the best medicines for cholesterol. Buckwheat is also beneficial for cholesterol as well as blood sugar and other issues. Also not a true grain, but a seed from a plant related to spinach. And high in phytase so soaking oats with some buckwheat helps reduce the phytic acid in the oats. A flavonoid in rutin is an anti-oxident and boosts the activity of vitamin C which is also important for cholesterol. Also beneficial for blood pressure if yours is high. Both are good protein sources.

You live in a dorm, right? Is cooking & storing food difficult? In Ireland?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 10:47 am

In your earlier posts you had acne elsewhere on face and covered your forehead with a hat. So from your recent posts it sounds like your skin imporved everywhere except your forehead, is that right? And are you still wearing a hat all the time?

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/06/2014 1:37 pm

Brandylad

• Hormonal activity (primarily from androgens, male hormones).

• Inflammation

• Overproduction of oil by the sebaceous (oil) gland. Your oil glands are an important site for the formation of active androgens that control oil production.

• Irregular or excessive shedding of dead skin cells, both on the surface of the skin and inside the pore.

• Buildup of bacteria in the pore, leading to inflammation.

• Sensitizing reactions to makeup, irritating skin-care ingredients, specific foods (rarely), allergies, or medicines.

Wrong again, YouknowNothing1

Diet affects 1-5. Each and every one of them. And diet is the best way to treat them.. Also, the hyper proliferation of skin cells which combined with inflammation is the real root cause of acne. Nodules & cysts, however tend to be a response to some type of intolerance.

And your remarks about oats are stupid. Phytic acid is not actually bad for you and is reduced in proper cooking. Oats are about the least harmful grain on the planet. The benefits far outweigh any negatives. Especially to someone with cholesterol issues. And someone who needs more calories.

And your first sentence, in addition to demonstrating your English skills, is the kind of personal attack posts that should be reported and could get you banned.

>

Taking -

zinc

cod liver oil

total omegas

magnesium & calcium

multivitamin

milk thistle

glutamine

digestive enzymes

psyillium husk

Wholegrain rice

Gluten free Pasta

Chicken

Salmon

Tuna

Salad

Apples

Broccoli

Carrots

Kale

Spinach

Sweet Potato

So your acne changed with the diet & supplements? Did you always have nodules?

That is a nutrient rich group of foods, so you shouldn't need to supplement for fear of deficiencies. Except for vitamin d, maybe magnesium. What is total omega? You shouldn't need to supplement anything but omega 3. Sardines, mackerel, & herring are other good sources that are cheaper than salmon, btw. Tuna really isn't a great source. And if you eat all that, you shouldn't need to supplement omega 3. Some people break out from supplements likely due to quality issues. Save your money & spend on the food.

What's in the gluten free pasta? How are you eating it? Remember is the GL of the entire meal that matters.

How are you using the psyllium husk? You shouldn't need it except before a high glycemic cheat treat.

Oats are one of the best foods for cholesterol, btw. Ideally, steel cut and soaked overnight with a little yogurt to break down the phytic acid that binds up nutrients. Oats are high in beta glucans, a soluble fiber that is one of the best medicines for cholesterol. Buckwheat is also beneficial for cholesterol as well as blood sugar and other issues. Also not a true grain, but a seed from a plant related to spinach. And high in phytase so soaking oats with some buckwheat helps reduce the phytic acid in the oats. A flavonoid in rutin is an anti-oxident and boosts the activity of vitamin C which is also important for cholesterol. Also beneficial for blood pressure if yours is high. Both are good protein sources.

You live in a dorm, right? Is cooking & storing food difficult? In Ireland?

Basically my acne has always been moderate since i was around 14.. during high school it mainly centered around my cheeks and the sides of my face. When i hit 18 and started drinking alcohol around town etc by acne seemed to spread out all across my face but i felt it was somewhat manageable ( still horrible but not painful nodules/cysts) if i avoided sugary products I am 24 at the moment. However, when i started with the probiotics 5 months ago my acne virtually moved from my cheeks to my forehead in the form of big painful nodules and cysts. Although my skin has been bad for 10 years my acne was predominantly the type you woudl associate with the spot creams/wash adverts. My acne has definitely changed for the worse since starting the candida/leaky gut/probiotic diet. Part of me thinks this is a major sign that something is happening internally considering chinese medicine associates forehead acne with digestion/liver issues and obviously that is what the diet i have been on is addressing

The gluten free pasta contains organic corn flour and i boil it and eat it with salmon/chicken and some form of vegetables. I am a very fussy eater so i have most things plain bar pepper and a small dusting of cajun spice.

I use the psyillium husk before each meal in order to add more fiber to my diet and also to help flush toxins out. As i previously mentioned before i started this 5 months ago bowel movements were on average every 2 or 3 days so i do believe the husk has really helped considering i'm going at least once, most times twice a day. It gains me an additional 12 grams of fiber a day aswel as ensuring regular BM's.

I live in the U.K. with my partner, have most domestic appliances and suitable storage ( fridge, freezer, cupboards, pantry ).

I have only started wearing a hat in the past month or so due to the fact my acne has become so concentrated on my forehead so i am adamant hygiene regarding hats isn't causing the acne to be so strong.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 3:49 pm

Well, then now that you've done this 5 months of strict anti-candida diet, I would relax the strictness and just eat mostly very well and see what happens. Eat plenty of nutrient rich food and avoid any high glycemic impacting meal, drink, snack, etc. Unless you have any kind of digestive discomfort that might be a sign of leaky gut in which case I would avoid all grains/seeds.

Psyllium fiber can bind up many nutrients and carry them through the body without them being absorbed. So I would not take it before a good meal.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/07/2014 7:07 am

ok! in regards to my meals how do i lower the glycemic load.. say for example most of meals consist of some form of meat and/or rice,pasta,potato, salad, veg.

I went to the doctors yesterday and he prescribed me a form of statin which will prevent cholestrol being reabsorbed into my bloodstream, it gets deposited into my guy instead. My mum is adamant this is the cause of my acne ( high cholestrol ) but i'm not so sure.. Through diet alone i've managed to reduce it 3 levels on the cholestrol scale, not sure if you have the same in the states but in england its measured on a number scale. The normal is 4 and mine was 9 through my teenage years, it's currently down to 6 through diet changes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/07/2014 8:57 am

It's measured with a ratio of the number of milligrams of cholesterol per dL of blood. Here the establishment want total holesterol under 200.

Fat & fiber lower the impact of any high carbs like the potato & pasta.. Also, spices like cinnamon. And acetic acid, such as in a salad with vinaigrette before the Meal.

Also, how the potato s cooked changes the GI. baked is lower than boiled & mashed. as well as how long pasta is cooked. It gets higher as you over cook it.

This is all in the Good Things thread.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 01/07/2014 9:10 am

thank you!