Notifications
Clear all

Magnesium Supplement?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/29/2013 2:51 pm

What are your thoughts on supplementing magnesium? Any success or improvements? Which form/brands do you prefer? I heard magnesium glycinate is the most gentle form o f magnesium. What are your thoughts or suggestions? And how much do you take? Do you take any other supplements with it? Notice any bowel differences or differences in sleep pattern? Thank you very much!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 8:13 pm

Magnesium... very good for many reasons! I've been supplementing with it for quite dome time so I'll tell you my experience.

Sleep: I haven't noticed any change in my sleep patterns (for better or worse), so I guess that's just not a benefit I gain from the supplement.

Bathroom Experience: Definitely gets you going. If you take too much you'll be doing the 100m dash to the bathroom, if you take too little it doesn't help at all. So it's all about finding the correct amount for your body.

Balancing hormones: It is said that magnesium is key to naturally regulating your hormones, so I'm happy to take it along with my other supplements (see signature). Still awaiting results, but it's only been a couple months... 6 months should tell me whether or not it's working.

The best way to take magnesium is through powder form. I get the brand CALM from my health food store. I need 2.5 tsp of it mixed with about 3-4 ounces of water. I make it so it's just a chuggable drink. In a perfect world you should mix with 8-12 oz of water, but it's really unpleasant tasting. Ergo, my method. You can also buy capsules if you don't want to put yourself through the discomfort of awful taste. Not as effective, but will eventually yield the same results.

Regardless of whether or not it helps your acne, most of the population is magnesium deficient, so you'll be helping your health. I'm not sure why we're all walking around with a lack of this supplement, but who cares. It can't hurt you (besides give you a stomach ache if you take too much). I would start with 1 tsp and work your way up by 1/4 tsp, if you are doing powder form, until you hit the right dosage. If by pill, start with one and work your way up (you shouldn't need more than two though)

Hope this helped! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:06 pm

Magnesium... very good for many reasons! I've been supplementing with it for quite dome time so I'll tell you my experience.

Sleep: I haven't noticed any change in my sleep patterns (for better or worse), so I guess that's just not a benefit I gain from the supplement.

Bathroom Experience: Definitely gets you going. If you take too much you'll be doing the 100m dash to the bathroom, if you take too little it doesn't help at all. So it's all about finding the correct amount for your body.

Balancing hormones: It is said that magnesium is key to naturally regulating your hormones, so I'm happy to take it along with my other supplements (see signature). Still awaiting results, but it's only been a couple months... 6 months should tell me whether or not it's working.

The best way to take magnesium is through powder form. I get the brand CALM from my health food store. I need 2.5 tsp of it mixed with about 3-4 ounces of water. I make it so it's just a chuggable drink. In a perfect world you should mix with 8-12 oz of water, but it's really unpleasant tasting. Ergo, my method. You can also buy capsules if you don't want to put yourself through the discomfort of awful taste. Not as effective, but will eventually yield the same results.

Regardless of whether or not it helps your acne, most of the population is magnesium deficient, so you'll be helping your health. I'm not sure why we're all walking around with a lack of this supplement, but who cares. It can't hurt you (besides give you a stomach ache if you take too much). I would start with 1 tsp and work your way up by 1/4 tsp, if you are doing powder form, until you hit the right dosage. If by pill, start with one and work your way up (you shouldn't need more than two though)

I just bought some magnesium glycinate and calcium supplements today. I'm pretty sure I'm deficient in both especially since I've been eating a paleo diet for quite some time now. I don't eat any nuts either and I'm not that great at consuming my leafy greens, I eat more cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc..and I read that these contain magnesium. I also read that calcium helps to absorb the magnesium better. Ill update to see if this helps with anything! I have issues with constipation, sleep, memory loss, fatigue, depression, etc.. I read that magnesium may help with all of these. We shall see!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/30/2013 12:34 am

I agree about the powder form. I took the generic CVS magnesium supplement for a while (cheaper) to help raise my progesterone because it's low, but I was taking other supplements too so I cut down to see what was working and what wasn't. I was taking a low dosage and I think it helped me a little. I also tried some samples of CALM, but it wiped me out! Literally, as soon as I drank it, I felt like I was going to pass out! I took it to help me relax but I think it was too strong for me. I used up the whole sample bag as the instructions said....hmmm.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:16 am

I went through a whole canister of CALM. The first few times I used it, it made me very sleepy and relaxed...also gave me the runs. After the first week it didn't seem to have any noticeable effects. I even took it sometimes because I wanted it to help me sleep, and nada.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:41 pm

I went through a whole canister of CALM. The first few times I used it, it made me very sleepy and relaxed...also gave me the runs. After the first week it didn't seem to have any noticeable effects. I even took it sometimes because I wanted it to help me sleep, and nada.

I have been taking magnesium glycinate in the pill form for several days now and I'm quite pleased. Could be too early to tell, but I sleep like a rock now! Before, I would wake up still feeling tired and groggy. Now that isn't the case anymore! Also, my bowels are starting to become regular, once a day. I read that magnesium helps with this. I also feel better overall. Ill update in a week to let you all know if this is still working for me!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/10/2014 6:08 pm

is the magnesium still working for you??

MemberMember
(@mygutleaks)

Posted : 05/01/2016 8:31 am

i use spray-on Mg. very inexpensive. bypasses the gut and therefore avoids feeding gut critters (like candida) as an oral supp would.