Notifications
Clear all

Anti-Nutrients In Veggies

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/04/2013 1:30 pm

So I am not sure if I should be consuming vegetables anymore (or in the quantities that I consume them). I eat about 2-3 cups of veggies a day. I cook them for a little bit as well. I was wondering if the antinutrients in veggies may be an issue for me?

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:38 pm

Grains, beans and potatoes are really the only plant foods that have much of any so called anti-nutrients in them. Regular veggies (like leafy greens) are totally safe to eat in whatever quantities you like, especially if they're organic and locally grown. (Ideally, but I know that's not always possible.) Grains should be avoided anyway in my opinion, and beans and potatoes are sorta okay on an occasional basis. But you should do what works for you. smile.png

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:42 pm

Yes, you should continue to eat veggies! But you could try methodically avoiding related foods to test for any difference. Start with the most likely veggie culprits, nightshades. These are tomatoes, potatoes (not sweet potatoes), peppers, and eggplants.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/04/2013 8:25 pm

Yes, you should continue to eat veggies! But you could try methodically avoiding related foods to test for any difference. Start with the most likely veggie culprits, nightshades. These are tomatoes, potatoes (not sweet potatoes), peppers, and eggplants.

I don't ever consume nightshades. Sweet potatoes on occasions (I know they are not nightshades). The only veggies I consume are: kale, italian parsley, watercress, spinach (rarely), romaine lettuce, bok choy (rarely), celery, swiss chard, green chard and thats about it. Also, I don't think black pepper is a nightshade, right?

Also I consume a lot of garlic. Not sure if this is an issue

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/04/2013 8:40 pm

I don't ever consume nightshades. Sweet potatoes on occasions (I know they are not nightshades). The only veggies I consume are: kale, italian parsley, watercress, spinach (rarely), romaine lettuce, bok choy (rarely), celery, swiss chard, green chard and thats about it. Also, I don't think black pepper is a nightshade, right?

What's wrong with all the other veggies like green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, carrots, etc. ?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/04/2013 10:42 pm

Well, There is a possibility of an issue with he high oxalate greens. Oh, and they impair te use of iodine which can impair thyroid function.

But I don't think you should quit. Just make adjustments.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:38 am

Well, There is a possibility of an issue with he high oxalate greens. Oh, and they impair te use of iodine which can impair thyroid function.

But I don't think you should quit. Just make adjustments.

Which greens have oxalates? What about salyclates and olive oil?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:39 am

this is slightly off topic,but i'd say please stop over analysing ur diet.

i used to do that at one point.

i stopped.i would say things only got better.

stick to a diet that over all doesnt give a bad reaction.

and u're not intolerant to.

limiting or omitting stuff like sugar/dairy are common stuff.

but whether or not ur VEGGIES have anti-nutrients ,whether even they would effect u should be least of ur concern.

IMO u're stressing out a lil' more than u should.

and its not a very good thing for ur health and skin.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:52 am

this is slightly off topic,but i'd say please stop over analysing ur diet.

i used to do that at one point.

i stopped.i would say things only got better.

stick to a diet that over all doesnt give a bad reaction.

and u're not intolerant to.

limiting or omitting stuff like sugar/dairy are common stuff.

but whether or not ur VEGGIES have anti-nutrients ,whether even they would effect u should be least of ur concern.

IMO u're stressing out a lil' more than u should.

and its not a very good thing for ur health and skin.

I agree

MemberMember
(@tommyhaynes96)

Posted : 06/06/2013 6:37 am

I don't really think so. I guess and I speak from personal experience, that eating too much veggies can't really be bad for your acne. I eat a lot of veggies, but completely avoid simple carbs and sugars and it's worked for me.