Notifications
Clear all

Long Term Antibiotics

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/17/2013 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about the reason why I had a sudden flare up of severe acne from february this year. Earlier I had acne which would be very mild, dermatologists would say use a good anti-acne facewash and BP and you will be fine.

However last year I had recurrent UTIs and finally in the month of Jan I was given a low dosage antibiotic over a month to cure my UTI problems. I finally dont have any UTIs but I started breaking out really badly after the end of my medication. Large painful cysts on my forehead and cheeks. At the same time I started experiencing gut issues. I would not have constipation per say but for someone who woke up and had a bowel movement I dont have a regular one anymore. It is sometime during the day and really not as good as it used to be..:(

I know having good gut flora is important and is the key to good skin.

After reading the forums here, I knew I cant treat this topically so started eliminating inflammatory foods and eat very healthy now. Somehow I fee more energetic now than ever before. I have been always very fit, but energy levels were never this high. So I am happy about this change. My acne is improving, but I am positive it will improve more if I improve my digestion.

I want to know how do I repopulate my gut flora?

Dairy is out for me right now, so yoghurt is a no. What other natural probiotics are there? I want to regain my old digestive ability. It used to be a joke in my family that I can even eat stones as I never had stomach upsets...:) Hope I get it back.

This forum is like a treasure for acne sufferers, thanks to everyone who suffered and got cured and still hangs around to help us.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/17/2013 8:11 pm

hard to say, but same thing happened to me and the acne has been stuck with me ever since...

How is your digestion like?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 9:09 pm

Unwashed organic vegetables. Unwashed being the key. Basically, bacteria will be on the leaves, and then in your GI tract the bacteria use the leaves as food. If you get lucky, you might get the strains you're missing.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/17/2013 9:09 pm

I have a bowel movement daily and not feel bloated anymore but just not as good as before. I dont mean to sound grotesque, but there will be a day when it is pebbly and not as great as otherwise...:P

But I see an improvement from about 1 month back now.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/17/2013 11:35 pm

Thanks Quetzlcoatl for your reply. I already eat organic veggies will try to do the no wash thing.

Any other suggestions?

Would it be worth trying home made yogurt out of raw milk once I clear up?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/18/2013 2:28 am

if you have good bowel movements almost everyday, you have nothing to worry about...

MemberMember
(@nodoubt147)

Posted : 04/18/2013 3:26 am

Get on a very high quality probiotic and it will clear everything up. Healthy Trinity's is the best on the market. Another good one is Renew Life's 50 billion. It's obvious their is a yeast overgrowth in your system. It is why the ecoli bacteria is continuing to flourish in your urinary tract. Gut flora is imperative for colon, and digestive health. It will help restore your bowel movements, and control UTI outbreaks. When you take anti-biotics you destroy this very important bacteria that we are born with. Probiotics are one of the most important supplements you can take for digestive and immune health.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/18/2013 10:09 am

THanks noboubt147...I was looking for it online and I read many reviewers saying it needs to arrive cold or it is not effective. Any particular website you recommend purchasing it from?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/18/2013 11:12 am

Fermented foods. There are several that are easy to make. There are recipes and links in this thread:

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/20/2013 10:46 pm

I am having kimchi and love it..After I clear up totally with just marks left I am going to try goat milk yogurt...:) I love yogurt and really miss it..

MemberMember
(@iamthat)

Posted : 04/20/2013 11:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about the reason why I had a sudden flare up of severe acne from february this year. Earlier I had acne which would be very mild, dermatologists would say use a good anti-acne facewash and BP and you will be fine.

However last year I had recurrent UTIs and finally in the month of Jan I was given a low dosage antibiotic over a month to cure my UTI problems. I finally dont have any UTIs but I started breaking out really badly after the end of my medication. Large painful cysts on my forehead and cheeks. At the same time I started experiencing gut issues. I would not have constipation per say but for someone who woke up and had a bowel movement I dont have a regular one anymore. It is sometime during the day and really not as good as it used to be..sad.png

I know having good gut flora is important and is the key to good skin.

After reading the forums here, I knew I cant treat this topically so started eliminating inflammatory foods and eat very healthy now. Somehow I fee more energetic now than ever before. I have been always very fit, but energy levels were never this high. So I am happy about this change. My acne is improving, but I am positive it will improve more if I improve my digestion.

I want to know how do I repopulate my gut flora?

Dairy is out for me right now, so yoghurt is a no. What other natural probiotics are there? I want to regain my old digestive ability. It used to be a joke in my family that I can even eat stones as I never had stomach upsets...smile.png Hope I get it back.

This forum is like a treasure for acne sufferers, thanks to everyone who suffered and got cured and still hangs around to help us.

I went through the same thing with antibiotics.. that last dosage I took back I think in 2010 or 2011 really did me in.. Since then only thing that has completely healed my gut is fasting.. along with 50 billion probiotic pills which I take once in a while.. Oo and eating a vegan raw diet for a while... now I can eat anything because I am healed.. but until you heal your gut eat mostly raw/vegan if you can.. and I would highly recommend a juice or water fast.. Im on the 2nd day of a water fast and I can tell more healing to my digestive is beginning even in day 2

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/21/2013 3:37 pm

I did a water fast for 3 days. Ultimately, I think it made things worse rather than better. I think the lack of digestive stimulation allowed bad bacteria to overgrow slightly. This problem has now been fixed by 2.5 weeks of ACV.

If I did the fast for 40 days, it might have solved the problem. But I'd rather not do that, especially when I don't know for a fact that the problem would be solved by doing this. So, you could try fasting, but be careful.

About yogurt, it should be ok unless you're sensitive to casein or another yogurt protein. But if it's just the lactose, then fermented dairy is fine.

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 04/27/2013 12:51 pm

Convince your doctor that the antibiotics have destroyed your gut flora, and push him to help you get set up for a series of fecal transplants. These little buggers will actually thive and repopulate long term, any probiotic you take will not do so, as they are NOT human bacteria, they are grown in milk or soil or some other foods, and therefore will only give a mild benefit while taking them. One week after you stop they are gone, and no longer helping. You madam, have a hard road ahead of you trying to convince your doctor tonset you up for fecal transplants, but this is the ONLY way to get some new strains of bacteria in your system that will stay there. good luck!

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/29/2013 1:09 pm

Hi eveyrone,

This may seem strange to hear but I have had regular bowels for a week now...Touch wood..:)

My parents are visiting and my Mom saw me cook and she said you need to add a little more ghee and oil to your cooking. She said it will also help in stimulating my bowels. It has really been working well. I have had no problems with the constipation at all..She is very healthy and fit for her age so it is definitely not lot of oil but slightly more than what I eat. I used to mostly eat very lightly steamed veggies all the time. I think my body lacks good fats.

Also my acne is clearing up . I have just 3-4 whiteheads, but extremely small but my remaining acne looks like it is healing. I have come to work without any makeup today after almost 3 months..:-)

and thanks eveyrone for your inputs...:)

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:23 pm

So no more cysts?

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/30/2013 5:22 pm

I have a big pustule on one cheek and few tiny whiteheads which are drying out. I still avoid all dairy other than ghee. I tried milk tea and coffee 2 days back and I think the pustule is the result. I am not going to experiment with any dairy anytime soon..

List of foods I am off currently other than dairy is all citruses, tomatoes, and this may sound strange but even onions. I know its either tomatoes or onions which are breaking me out as I break out more after having Indian curries for which the base is usually tomatoes onion and dairy.

Once I stop getting active ones I will reintroduce and see which one is the culprit.

I also have started drinking turmeric ginger tea in the morning instead of warm lemon water.

I dont think I am done with acne yet but I feel a little better about my gut.