Notifications
Clear all

Is It Bad To Eat Fish Almost Everyday?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/16/2013 3:24 pm

For example if I wanted to eat a small piece of talpia 5x a week with lunch? Does this put me at risk for complications from mercury?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/16/2013 3:37 pm

no

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 12:44 am

I love fish and eat it at every opportunity. As long as you're not eating swordfish or too much salmon, you should be fine

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/17/2013 7:37 am

i dont think so.

in fact,i think fish is good.

although am not sure every fish as high omega-3 as salmon,tuna etc but they all have more or less some positive effect.

huh?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/17/2013 5:10 pm

I love fish and eat it at every opportunity. As long as you're not eating swordfish or too much salmon, you should be fine

whats wrong with salmon? I am pretty sure wild caught alaskan salmon can be eaten safely on a daily basis

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 5:20 pm

Yeah wild caught is fine

Most is farmed atlantic though so I was just making a blanket statement

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/17/2013 10:38 pm

There isn't much concern with mercury and tilapia. You only need to worry about predatory fish, especially large ones. Like tuna, swordfish, large mackerel aka kingfish. But you should be concerned about where it came from and how it was farme. And the fact that you frequently aren't getting the fish you think you are.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/17/2013 11:16 pm

In addition to the mercury, you also have to be aware of the ongoing Fukushima disaster. The nuclear reactor meltdown is occurring and radioactive waste is breaching directly into the pacific ocean at a rate of 93 billion becquerels per day. This has occurred every day for the last two years, and will likely continue for many more.

Be mindful of where your fish are caught, and don't overindulge.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/18/2013 12:31 am

Thank you guys for all the comments. I wish I liked salmon because I know it's really good for you, but it's one of the only meats (along with lamb) that I really dislike. I much prefer the milder fish like tilapia, flounder, and catfish. Looks like I'll be eating them a lot more often :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/18/2013 9:50 am

am sorry if am hijacking.

but since its the same topic i'll add here.

what is it to have one medium to small piece of fishes like rohu, katla, boal(wallago),Giant eyed p.d. river-catfish(called aar here),Puntio barb(punti here), tengra(am not sure what its called world wide), Mozambique tilapia(telapia here) , or parse(no idea whats its called in english.sorry)??

we dont really get salmon or tuna here.its not very common in local markets that is.

what if one has anyone of these fish curries(no they aint made as oily ans spicy as it sounds.=) ) may be around 5 days a week?

anyone?

is n't bad,eh?

aana

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/18/2013 11:08 am

Thank you guys for all the comments. I wish I liked salmon because I know it's really good for you, but it's one of the only meats (along with lamb) that I really dislike. I much prefer the milder fish like tilapia, flounder, and catfish. Looks like I'll be eating them a lot more often smile.png

Are you in the U.S.? Idaho farmed trout are supposed to be good choices health, environment and sustainability-wise according to the Monteray Bay aquarium. I'm pretty sure they have to feed them fish, but it must be a lot less than goes into farming salmon.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/18/2013 12:25 pm

Thank you guys for all the comments. I wish I liked salmon because I know it's really good for you, but it's one of the only meats (along with lamb) that I really dislike. I much prefer the milder fish like tilapia, flounder, and catfish. Looks like I'll be eating them a lot more often smile.png

Are you in the U.S.? Idaho farmed trout are supposed to be good choices health, environment and sustainability-wise according to the Monteray Bay aquarium. I'm pretty sure they have to feed them fish, but it must be a lot less than goes into farming salmon.

I am from the U.S. From the Houston, Texas area to be exact. I think you're from the same area? Where do you get your fish?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/18/2013 6:15 pm

I am from the U.S. From the Houston, Texas area to be exact. I think you're from the same area? Where do you get your fish?

Whole foods, HEB/central market, fiesta, costco, my sister who fishes in the gulf, etc. Where ever it's on sale. I don't buy it that often. I've been trying to find a great technique/recipe for cooking the whole trout. I haven't done it in a while, but most supermarkets will steam cook whatever they sell in their seafood department. The first time I tried it, I swear it was the best salmon I ever had.