Notifications
Clear all

Beta Carotene

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:06 pm

Hey guys,

I would like to know if any of you take beta carotene or vitamin supplements?

what has it done for you (skin wise)?

Please share your experience;)

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:26 pm

Beta carotene and Vit A are important for good health and fighting acne. That's why I over-indulge in leafy greens. Every major meal I eat includes a generous heaped portion of steamed leafy greens like spinach, broccoli leaves, rape greens, mustard leaves, sweet potato leaves, amaranth leaves, or bok choy.

Another critical source of Vit A is liver - tasty stuff if you know how to cook it.

I don't take any Vit A supplements because I get enough from tasty, nutritious food.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/01/2013 3:02 am

hello!

beta-carotene is very good skin.so i've heard.

there's no harm as such in taking supplements.but just as sleptember said why bother when u can take it as healthy nutritious food!

carrot has a good deal of vit-a.

thats one reason it is considered anti-ageing food.

but then,i recently read in some blog that tomato and carrots are not that great foods for acne.

they stated a reason saying 'lycopene' causes inbalnce in hormone level resulting in stressed skin or active sebaceous glands and that is bad for anyone who's got acne.

i personally havent seen much effect yet.

for a few days i've had one raw tomato everyday.and nothing much happened after that.my mum adds tomato n carrots in food too.(they say,sauteed or cooked tomato n carrot can be bad - for the same reason stated above)

also,both tomato and carrot are the healthiest food ever.so omitting them from diet doesnt seem healthy.

thus,i'd say please have a healthy diet in general.and add good food which are high in vit-a.

Beta carotene and Vit A are important for good health and fighting acne. That's why I over-indulge in leafy greens. Every major meal I eat includes a generous heaped portion of steamed leafy greens like spinach, broccoli leaves, rape greens, mustard leaves, sweet potato leaves, amaranth leaves, or bok choy.

Another critical source of Vit A is liver - tasty stuff if you know how to cook it.

I don't take any Vit A supplements because I get enough from tasty, nutritious food.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 04/01/2013 3:14 am

aanabill, do you do your shopping from a local farmer's market? I find that these offer more variety than chain stores. The next time you go to buy food, look out for any dark leafy vegetable. All leafy greens - it doesn't matter what they are called - are nutritious and good sources of beta carotene. From what I've read, almost all the leafy greens available in my country (Zambia), are also available in India - they just have different names!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/01/2013 8:25 am

no dear,i dont go out myself and buy goods of any farmers market.

nor do i buy from supermarket.

there are bazaars in india(its almost like farmers market along with several other vendors).but u see here chemicals or fertilisers are used in most of the fruits or veggies.cant help it.hopefully less.=)

i try to have leafy veggies(we call them different kind of 'shaak')

they are either cooked like a side dish or just sauteed.

i have them atleast twice a week.i'll try to have more from now on.thanks mate.

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 04/02/2013 4:56 am

Thanks sleptember:)

hello!

beta-carotene is very good skin.so i've heard.

there's no harm as such in taking supplements.but just as sleptember said why bother when u can take it as healthy nutritious food!

carrot has a good deal of vit-a.

thats one reason it is considered anti-ageing food.

but then,i recently read in some blog that tomato and carrots are not that great foods for acne.

they stated a reason saying 'lycopene' causes inbalnce in hormone level resulting in stressed skin or active sebaceous glands and that is bad for anyone who's got acne.

i personally havent seen much effect yet.

for a few days i've had one raw tomato everyday.and nothing much happened after that.my mum adds tomato n carrots in food too.(they say,sauteed or cooked tomato n carrot can be bad - for the same reason stated above)

also,both tomato and carrot are the healthiest food ever.so omitting them from diet doesnt seem healthy.

thus,i'd say please have a healthy diet in general.and add good food which are high in vit-a.

hello again! =)

u've a good list of food that has vit-a.

but sadly,excpt for spinach..none are quite common here in my place(i live in bengal(state) in India).

anything else u'd like to add there?

Hey aanabil...thanks I want to take supplements because I have a busy life

I'm a college student and have two jobs I dont have time cook etc.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2013 11:01 am

It's likely that we are deficient at producing retinoids in our skin and this has a big effect on how your skin cells form and exfoliate freely, hence the use of retin A and accutane as acne treatments. It's possible that the retinoids are stimulated by UV light and that consumption of plenty of beta carotene along with UV exposure can increase our production and could be one of the reasons people find they clear up on vacations to beaches and camping trips.

I started looking into it, but always have to quit. I believe there was a hint about how much beta carotene gets to my skin. I eat a sweet potato nearly every day, plus lots of greens which are also high in it, by my skin doesn't turn the slightest bit orange. I would like a bit of a warm, golden tint to my skin.

I've posted info on it in a couple of different threads including the linoleic acid thread which we are also deficient in and also has an effect on skin cell production and desquammation. Acne and skin vocabulary words: http://dietforclearskin.blogspot.com/2013/03/clear-skin-vocabulary-lesson.html

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 04/09/2013 10:42 am

I decided to buy Vitamin a. I got 2500IU im gonna take it once a day

for a couple of days and raise it to 5000IU

im already taking 10000IU Vitamin d.

I will update you.