Notifications
Clear all

Is It Safe For A 17 Year Old Male To Take Saw Palmetto?

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:13 pm

Or would it interfere with my hormones in a negative way since im still going through puberty? I have insanely oily skin which leads to acne and ive no doubt its caused by hormones - ive heard saw palmetto works for womenand this might sound stupid but would it interfere with my puberty or would it safely control my hormones?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:45 pm

Well I regularly lurk on some hair loss forums and see that Saw Palmetto is recommended to reduce the levels of DHT in the body therefore resulting decreased hair loss. DHT is essential for male growth and to take medication such as propecia (which I take) you need to be over 18. If SP has the same effects as propecia then it may be the case that you could suffer a reduction in your libido and erectile dysfunction, but I hear the chances of those sides are much less in natural DHT inhibitors such as SP.

The only worrying prospect of a 17 year old taking SP is that the reduction of DHT (a male growth hormone) could possibly mess with your development. You should probably talk to a dermatologist before taking it or do some more research. What I've told you is basically from things that I've found over the years.

Good luck. smile.png

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/11/2013 2:53 pm

U can try taling zinc in low doses which is a dht blocker. A topical b5 serum should also help ur skin.

MemberMember
(@clayjar)

Posted : 03/13/2013 10:33 pm

Try DIM first, or eating a ton of broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.

MemberMember
(@camaroz28)

Posted : 03/16/2013 9:40 pm

"DIM is a potent androgen antagonist in prostate cancer cells."

http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2003/03/27/jbc.M300588200.full.pdf .

Don't take saw palmetto.

MemberMember
(@drth)

Posted : 03/17/2013 10:07 am

You should try taking Zinc 30-40 mg first and/or Vitamin A 10000 IU.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/03/2013 6:41 pm

U can try taling zinc in low doses which is a dht blocker. A topical b5 serum should also help ur skin.

From what I read, too much zinc can promote dht?