Notifications
Clear all

Acne Is Not Caused By Diet

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:52 pm

I did, pretty much lol. And I still had acne, so I basically concluded that derms are a waste of time. I had way better luck with the Regimen (sold on this site) and it's cheaper.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:00 pm

We pay a lot for prescriptions because we get to subsidize the cost the rest of the world pays. We pay for all the research and development and the profits.

By we I mean the average American, of course. I would never take a drug for anything except temporarily for an acute illness. Therefore I don't pay for any drugs and haven't for at least 5 years. The last drug I tried was spiro and it was very cheap.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:05 pm

I did, pretty much lol. And I still had acne, so I basically concluded that derms are a waste of time. I had way better luck with the Regimen (sold on this site) and it's cheaper.

I follow the regimen's "science" but use my own products. I really love Marcelle cleansing milk and Philosophy gel cream moisturizer I usually follow this with retin- a and now I find my skin is fairly balanced and very "even" in tone (but that could also be the spiro). I see you like Asian BB creams? have you tried the Lioele one, it has the best coverage and the sebum control is fantastic. I paid 20 bucks for it online.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:39 pm

I have to say, if you people have been paying that much for a doctors visit, why weren't you out shouting down the idiots protesting the attempts to fix our health care system We had a chance to fix this.

I follow the regimen's "science" but use my own products. I really love Marcelle cleansing milk and Philosophy gel cream moisturizer I usually follow this with retin- a and now I find my skin is fairly balanced and very "even" in tone (but that could also be the spiro). I see you like Asian BB creams? have you tried the Lioele one, it has the best coverage and the sebum control is fantastic. I paid 20 bucks for it online.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 02/28/2013 11:00 pm

I have to say, if you people have been paying that much for a doctors visit, why weren't you out shouting down the idiots protesting the attempts to fix our health care system We had a chance to fix this.

Why do you use all those products if acne is purely caused by androgens and spiro fixes that? Why do you need sebum control?

I use water, oil and aloe Vera. And nutrients.

Because it has improved the texture of my "sensitive" skin after many years of usage of harsh acne products like Proactiv ect. It also makes my skin brighter and assists in softening the appearance of minor acne scars. I Still use BB ccreams with sebum control as I like an extremely matte finsh to my makeup. I don't have very much excess oil at all these days.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 2:56 pm

If I took this advice I'd still be hiding in my closet wondering about the day I'll be clear of acne.

I am so close to being clear through diet alone. I don't know what my problem is - leaky gut, candida, hormones - I really don't care. What I do know is diet works, and taking many different supplements, which I did do, did absolutely nothing.

On health care.. very emotional political comment you got there - ban Mc Donalds and we'd probably significantly lower government health care costs (and also my huge tax hikes).

You can ban McDonalds but you can't ban stupidity.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 3:12 pm

Since we're talking about U.S. healthcare, let's make a few points...

1) Lots of drug / treatment innovation occurs here BECAUSE of the capitalist system which allows profit to occur. Without a profit incentive, the research dies down to a trickle. Of course, this enables copycats in other countries to offer the same treatments and medications at lower prices because they aren't taking the risk of innovating, they're just copying what someone else created.

Example: When PrevAcid came out as a brand new drug it was $600 for a month's supply. It was a patented U.S. drug created by TAP Pharmaceuticals in Illinois. They spent about a decade of research and millions of dollars creating this drug. When they introduced it to the public, they had to recoup the money they had spent with a high price. Yet not long after, some other countries with different laws were distributing the same drug for a fraction of the price. If a higher percentage of PrevAcid users had been non-U.S., TAP would have gone into bankruptcy.

2) Can we please stop saying healthcare is free anywhere? It is not free. It is simply deducted out of your paycheck as extra taxes before you get your paycheck. If you live in a highly socialized system with a very graduated tax bracket, maybe you are just leeching off the taxes of others, but believe me SOMEONE is paying for it.

3) Insurance. The U.S. insurance system is really really crazy because half the population sees healthcare as a business and half sees it as a right. The legislation for healthcare insurance is insanely hard to deal with and most doctors have no clue what is going on. That said, I don't think single-payer systems are the solution. When Japan went to single-payer health insurance, the average number of doctor visits per person per year went up from 3-4 to 11. Their health care costs skyrocketed. When health care costs are taken out of your paycheck (or someone else's paycheck) automatically, you are no longer judicious. You start going to the doctor willy-nilly because it's "free." Over time this leads to a huge abuse of the system--many UKers on here complain about the 4-6 month waits to see a dermatologist. Yeah, in the U.S. I'm paying $150 (uninsured) to see a derm but I've always made appointments same day, and I am pretty sure my total health care costs are lower than what a middle class UKer would pay out of taxes.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/01/2013 3:33 pm

Do

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/01/2013 4:39 pm

1) Lots of drug / treatment innovation occurs here BECAUSE of the capitalist system which allows profit to occur. Without a profit incentive, the research dies down to a trickle. Of course, this enables copycats in other countries to offer the same treatments and medications at lower prices because they aren't taking the risk of innovating, they're just copying what someone else created.

Example: When PrevAcid came out as a brand new drug it was $600 for a month's supply. It was a patented U.S. drug created by TAP Pharmaceuticals in Illinois. They spent about a decade of research and millions of dollars creating this drug. When they introduced it to the public, they had to recoup the money they had spent with a high price. Yet not long after, some other countries with different laws were distributing the same drug for a fraction of the price. If a higher percentage of PrevAcid users had been non-U.S., TAP would have gone into bankruptcy.

2) Can we please stop saying healthcare is free anywhere? It is not free. It is simply deducted out of your paycheck as extra taxes before you get your paycheck. If you live in a highly socialized system with a very graduated tax bracket, maybe you are just leeching off the taxes of others, but believe me SOMEONE is paying for it.

3) Insurance. The U.S. insurance system is really really crazy because half the population sees healthcare as a business and half sees it as a right. The legislation for healthcare insurance is insanely hard to deal with and most doctors have no clue what is going on. That said, I don't think single-payer systems are the solution. When Japan went to single-payer health insurance, the average number of doctor visits per person per year went up from 3-4 to 11. Their health care costs skyrocketed. When health care costs are taken out of your paycheck (or someone else's paycheck) automatically, you are no longer judicious. You start going to the doctor willy-nilly because it's "free." Over time this leads to a huge abuse of the system--many UKers on here complain about the 4-6 month waits to see a dermatologist. Yeah, in the U.S. I'm paying $150 (uninsured) to see a derm but I've always made appointments same day, and I am pretty sure my total health care costs are lower than what a middle class UKer would pay out of taxes.

----------------

I agree that it should not be free. People should always pay something for a doctors visit and a percentage of their treatment. Drugs aren't candy, people. And surgeries and other interventions should not be taken lightly. And If you'd rather take pills and ride mobility scooters than take care of yourself, then you should pay. But the costs and profit taking has gotten way out of hand. Sometime in the 80s I think. About the time HMOs appeared, costs for insurance and care began skyrocketing. Insurance should be for major medical expense period. and all else should be affordable. When I was a kid, our family of six never used my fathers very good, totally employer payed low deductible insurance because we were not sickly and a doctors visit was reasonable. We never made the 500 deductible.

I didn't get too involved in the healthcare debate because I am still not sickly and it would probably cost me more to be on any plan they'd come up with. Now that they cant put a lifetime or anual limit on what they pay due to Obamacare, im happy with my $5000 deductible insurance. Although I still think it costs me more than it should. Because its purpose is to protect me I case of a catastrophic illness or accident. Most people whose employers pay half their premium pay much more than I do. That my low cost plan also has to preventative care is a bonus. Again, thanks to Obamacare.

Have you seen the recent Time magazine article about the markup of charges in hospitals, administrator salaries, record profits made by non profit hospitals and such - http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/ . And the appearance of the author on Jon Stewart earlier this week?

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/01/2013 5:31 pm

Since I'm guessing you're American I don't think you'll ever grasp how our system works. I know the health care in Canada is "socialized" (which doesn't mean free) but it sure seems that way. We're not paying astronomical taxes in Canada and we're not paying premiums either (like you may have heard rumors of). The socialed health care system has no impact on taxes and another thing Canadians get large government tax returns as well (every three months). Life is great here.

The U.S is a capitalist society where the rich thrive and the poor languish - hence the constant rat race. Canada is a more fair country all around.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 7:10 pm

Since I'm guessing you're American I don't think you'll ever grasp how our system works. I know the health care in Canada is "socialized" (which doesn't mean free) but it sure seems that way. We're not paying astronomical taxes in Canada and we're not paying premiums either (like you may have heard rumors of). The socialed health care system has no impact on taxes and another thing Canadians get large government tax returns as well (every three months). Life is great here.

The U.S is a capitalist society where the rich thrive and the poor languish - hence the constant rat race. Canada is a more fair country all around.

I actually didn't mention Canada, I mentioned the UK, which have their differences, and I didn't say you have astronomical taxes, I said that the portion of taxes you pay that goes towards health care (assuming you're in a bracket where you actually pay something, not a welfare bracket) is more than the money I spent of my own volition on my own health care.

There are plenty of things wrong with US taxes and the way private health insurance is run over here, but I am not one to say that health care should be federally managed. I don't consider 4-6 month wait times on the NHS just to see a derm as well-managed, or people skipping over to the doctor 11 times per year well-managed either. I think there is a better solution that isn't what we have now but also isn't copying the UK.

Healthcare in the US was a lot better honestly when it was a simple relationship between doctor and patient. Doctors knew what services they provided and what they wanted to charge for them. They had the option to do things pro bono for charity cases if they chose. Once insurance started being A Big Deal and people started seeing doctors are magical people who magically cure their ailments, then insurance became A Right, profit-seekers entered the market and then federal legislation just made it harder for doctors to practice. Now when I go to a doctor without insurance, instead of making a bargain with you, they look at you blankly and don't even know what to charge. I preferred when doctors had control of their practices and what they charged.

As for the rat race, competition drives innovation and change. Complacency doesn't drive anything. Thankfully there are multiple countries in the world so those of us who wouldn't be happy frolicking about in Canada can go rat race it up in the US tongue.png

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/01/2013 7:19 pm

I actually didn't mention Canada, I mentioned the UK, which have their differences, and I didn't say you have astronomical taxes, I said that the portion of taxes you pay that goes towards health care (assuming you're in a bracket where you actually pay something, not a welfare bracket) is more than the money I spent of my own volition on my own health care.

There are plenty of things wrong with US taxes and the way private health insurance is run over here, but I am not one to say that health care should be federally managed. I don't consider 4-6 month wait times on the NHS just to see a derm as well-managed, or people skipping over to the doctor 11 times per year well-managed either. I think there is a better solution that isn't what we have now but also isn't copying the UK.

A lot of Americans assume that the taxes we pay in Canada to keep the government health care system going are *through the roof* which is not true - I'd just thought I'd clear that up regardless. There's a lot of ignorance out there about socialized medicine especially from Americans.

Americans seem very much for themselves and don't want to bother helping their fellow man out - which is probably why a fully socialized health care system in the United States just wouldn't work. Because most Americans would be appalled to have their taxes going to help *that bum on the street* get treatment for his bad liver.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 03/01/2013 7:29 pm

Well it's about choice. I actually love to help people. I've wasted hours of my time and thousands of dollars of my own money to help people just because altruism is great. But I don't like to be forced to do something good. Forcing me to do something good removes the joy out of that good thing. Now that moral transaction is an obligation. I don't feel like a better person. I don't feel like I went out of my way to help someone. I just feel like Nanny government told me what to do.

The more the government tries to do for me, the more helpless I feel. Now I feel that there's no point in me being charitable because the government's going to do it for me. Why should I help that bum on the street? I pay for Medicaid. I pay for welfare. He should get his ass to a homeless shelter and stop being an eyesore. Forced charity actually breeds resentment.

MemberMember
(@coffeetea)

Posted : 03/01/2013 10:58 pm

Drink cola and junk food everyday and see how your face explode.

Works fine for a lot of the population, food is more an issue for people that actually has acne. so fair to say it isn't an issue for everyone and isn't an absolute since the majority of the population doesn't suffer from acne. Plus the obvious, everyone is different. However, yes, you should try to eat a healthy diet

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:41 am

Works fine for a lot of the population, food is more an issue for people that actually has acne. so fair to say it isn't an issue for everyone and isn't an absolute since the majority of the population doesn't suffer from acne. Plus the obvious, everyone is different. However, yes, you should try to eat a healthy diet

Agree so much. Acne is actually rare in the general adult population, even though a lot of people suffer from the disorder the adult majority don't experience many acne issus. How many people above the age of say 25 do you see on the street with severe acne on their face? few and far between is the answer.

Genetics influence everything and they're hard to change. You can fight against your genes.. but sometimes you lose the battle. My original post was intended to make people less inclined to blame themselves as a lot of people believe they have severe acne because of somthing they're doing or something they're eating ect.

It's sad, I feel like a lot of these alternative medicine people (on this forum) do more harm than good as they always try to tell acne sufferers to "cut out this, cut out that and take this" and basically point the finger at the victim. They always push the "leaky gut" business to high heaven too, *rolls eyes*.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/02/2013 11:33 am

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that one as it isn't much more expensive than the skin 79 I'm using now (which is also great).

Agree so much. Acne is actually rare in the general adult population, even though a lot of people suffer from the disorder the adult majority don't experience many acne issus. How many people above the age of say 25 do you see on the street with severe acne on their face? few and far between is the answer.

Genetics influence everything and they're hard to change. You can fight against your genes.. but sometimes you lose the battle. My original post was intended to make people less inclined to blame themselves as a lot of people believe they have severe acne because of somthing they're doing or something they're eating ect.

It's sad, I feel like a lot of these alternative medicine people (on this forum) do more harm than good as they always try to tell acne sufferers to "cut out this, cut out that and take this" and basically point the finger at the victim. They always push the "leaky gut" business to high heaven too, *rolls eyes*.

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from now. The only thing I ever disagreed with you on is food allergies being uncommon. Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky, but I do have quite a few real, serious food allergies and severe acne breakouts are just one of my symptoms. As far as leaky gut--I am torn. It was something I really believed in for a very long time. But I have to question, if that was my problem, why did nothing help? Why did a year + of being on the Paleo/gut healing diet do nothing? Why did my months and months of intensive probiotic therapy do NOTHING?

I feel now that I have to either 1) stop believing in leaky gut or 2) feel like all attempts to help my health have failed and accept that I'm probably going to die young.

It's obvious which choice is more pleasant of the two.

MemberMember
(@broscience)

Posted : 03/02/2013 1:07 pm

So if acne is caused by hormones solely. Then what about cutting fat totally from diet? Because the DHEA hormone which converts to test and estro is made of cholesterol.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2013 1:16 pm

No, we do good. Because the basics of the that clears skin, are how humans should eat and can prevent, reduce and reverse health conditions far more serious than acne. Not eating this way is the reason you are surrounded by sickly people and we have an outrageously profitable sick care system

The only issue is, eating a truly healthy diet has become so strange that quite a few epode can't do it without panicking over each and every food. That is the only part that's sad.

So if acne is caused by hormones solely. Then what about cutting fat totally from diet? Because the DHEA hormone which converts to test and estro is made of cholesterol.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:59 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that one as it isn't much more expensive than the skin 79 I'm using now (which is also great).

>

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from now. The only thing I ever disagreed with you on is food allergies being uncommon. Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky, but I do have quite a few real, serious food allergies and severe acne breakouts are just one of my symptoms. As far as leaky gut--I am torn. It was something I really believed in for a very long time. But I have to question, if that was my problem, why did nothing help? Why did a year + of being on the Paleo/gut healing diet do nothing? Why did my months and months of intensive probiotic therapy do NOTHING?

I feel now that I have to either 1) stop believing in leaky gut or 2) feel like all attempts to help my health have failed and accept that I'm probably going to die young.

I did Chinese medicine/alternate medicine for years too (the "damp heat" theory; leaky gut) to no avail. I took all the supplements, herbs, special teas, detoxed, probiotics, waterfasted, Low-GI - but it did absolutely nothing for my skin. It gave me a rockin" bod though, I was totally fit with a super tight stomach and I found I rarely ever got a cold or a flu (upped the immune system I guess).

I never believed my dermatologist when she said acne has absolutely nothing to do with diet - I thought she had to be wrong and that if I just did everything I could to improve my diet my skin would completely clear up but this wasn't the case.

A lot of naturalpaths look at acne as a sign of "sick organs" - bad liver, bad kidneys and impaired digestion but this simply isn't true.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2013 3:14 pm

>

I did Chinese medicine/alternate medicine for years too (the "damp heat" theory; leaky gut) to no avail. I took all the supplements, herbs, special teas, detoxed, probiotics, waterfasted, Low-GI - but it did absolutely nothing for my skin. It gave me a rockin" bod though, I was totally fit with a super tight stomach and I found I rarely ever got a cold or a flu (upped the immune system I guess).

I never believed my dermatologist when she said acne has absolutely nothing to do with diet - I thought she had to be wrong and that if I just did everything I could to improve my diet my skin would completely clear up but this wasn't the case.

A lot of naturalpaths look at acne as a sign of "sick organs" - bad liver, bad kidneys and impaired digestion but this simply isn't true.

That last sentence there is true. Or partly true. Some people do have such problems. But mostly, it's that the diet followed by most people is lacking in disease fighting nutrients, inflammatory (which leads to disease), constantly elevates blood sugar which is inflammatory and screws up hormones and leads to disease. And in those with genetic tendencies that make them prone to acne, leads to acne.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/02/2013 3:20 pm

Why did my awesome diet not help me then?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2013 7:25 pm

Why did my awesome diet not help me then?

Did you have an awesome diet? Because In the last few months you have been telling us about your eating disorder in which you voided 99% of foods and feared to drink water. Also, you told us that you had controlled your acne via diet, but it had just come back about a year ago.

And you have a number of unsolved, mystery health problems since childhood, do you not? you don't think you'd be worse off if you hadn't eaten well?

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 03/02/2013 7:46 pm

I haven't been able to control my acne despite an "awesome" diet. BUT in my case I think it was due to the factors that 1) I had too much stress, and 2) I did most likely eat too many carbs than I could handle per meal, so I probably had elevated blood sugar at times. Thirdly, I should've exercised more and had a more regular sleeping pattern. My lifestyle on the whole wasn't that healthy, even though my diet was. I believe that sleep, stress, and exercise are at least as important, in fact probably more important than a good diet.

Focusing on diet is a double-edged sword, because if you start to control it too much, you just get stressed. It may start to restrict your life and could develop into an eating disorder. So it's hard to find the balance between being strict enough and not getting too neurotic about what you eat. Having had some experience with an eating disorder long ago, I'd rather err on the side of being too lax than strict.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2013 8:09 pm

I haven't been able to control my acne despite an "awesome" diet. BUT in my case I think it was due to the factors that 1) I had too much stress, and 2) I did most likely eat too many carbs than I could handle per meal, so I probably had elevated blood sugar at times. Thirdly, I should've exercised more and had a more regular sleeping pattern. My lifestyle on the whole wasn't that healthy, even though my diet was. I believe that sleep, stress, and exercise are at least as important, in fact probably more important than a good diet.

Focusing on diet is a double-edged sword, because if you start to control it too much, you just get stressed. It may start to restrict your life and could develop into an eating disorder. So it's hard to find the balance between being strict enough and not getting too neurotic about what you eat. Having had some experience with an eating disorder long ago, I'd rather err on the side of being too lax than strict.

Yes, sleep, stress and exercise are just as important. And you should not stress about your diet.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 03/02/2013 8:54 pm

Some people suffer allergic-like reactions to very specific food groups. This might manifest itself as cystic acne in those individuals. Dairy, citrus, and gluten come to mind.

Others like myself, have zero reaction to food, but horrible reactions to the body's post orgasm processes. Avoid/limiting orgasms clears me 100%. Everyone is different when it comes to their specific trigger.

Pretending to understand why these things occur is only useful as a hobby. For the rest of us, we'll take the practical approach, stick with what works, and get on with our lives. If diet works for you, fantastic. If not, figure something else out or learn to deal with it.