Notifications
Clear all

Low Gi Diet - I Keep Being Hungry And Light-Headed

MemberMember
(@locustreign)

Posted : 01/15/2013 7:48 am

So, I decided to start the low GI diet on January 1st. I can see some improvements, especially on the oiliness of my skin - though I keep breaking out around my lips and nose.

The main problem is that I keep feeling hungry most of the time. All my life (I'm 22 years old), I've been accustomed to high amounts of pasta, rice, bread, etc., so having none of that is messing with me a bit. I feel a lack of energy and light-headedness. I don't know where I can find something that maintains me satisfied throughout the day.

I eat plenty of fish, poultry (though I'm starting to be suspicious about all the meat), vegetables and fruit. I love fruit, but from what I've been reading over here, it can cause breakouts due to its fructose and sugar levels.

So, any tips? Do you think I can replace some of the carbs with brown rice and sweet potatoes, with these having low impact on my skin? How about oatmeal? I was about to buy it, but I saw that it contains gluten.

And I'm also having problems in finding good sources of fiber.

Can you please help me?

Thank you

MemberMember
(@drth)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:05 am

Well, that's a good diet, I wouldn't change anything really. I felt a bit light headed in the beginning as well but in 2~3 months your body will adapt itself to correct (low gi) dietary habits. I wouldn't recommend adding ANY grains - I eat grains every now and then, but I make sure to soak, sprout, ferment, etc. ALL of them, and only eat SMALL amounts over many weeks as any grains are very dangerous for us. If you're too lazy to do that, I'd recommend AVOIDING whole grains, as they have LONG-LASTING effects on your blood sugar spikes unlike refined grains which simply raise your bloody sugar in a small time frame.

I assume you're already avoiding any vegetable oils, ESPECIALLY OLIVE OIL, which has horrible impacts w/r/t inflammatory response and WILL wreck your hormonal balance and thus may PERMANENTLY damage your acne issues even more.

SO, acne-prone people should prefer refined carbs and avoid vegetable oils such as EVOO.

I recommend diminishing meat consumption as well, as they also have carb impact, maybe small amounts throughout meals or every 3~5 days. Vegetables also contain anti-nutrients, which is why NO ONE shouldn't be binging on them, and fruit is basically fast food, there isn't much difference between eating one large apple and a big can of Coke for acne-prone/insulin resistant people because of the fructose, so BEWARE of fruit. I also assume you're already avoiding dairy. Everyone should eat a really balanced diet essential only for surviving.

Are you eating small meals every 3~4 hours to keep hormonal balance? Supplementing chromium with your first meal of the day and zinc before bed? What about fiber pills and cinnamon cassia with every meal? 30 minutes of walking outside or small bursts of intense physical activity outside after every meal?

Are you outside all day with your eyes in the summer sun, with no sunglasses/hat? That's very important for serotonin production, thus melatonin production later in the night and thus zinc production, which has a very obvious effect in acne control. Always be outside, even if your job/school prohibits it, your body is more important than any other aspect of your life. YOU are your body.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:19 am

Well, of course you can have sweet potatoes. And it's winter, have winter squash. Great food. You don't really need to eat low carb. You need to avoid all high GL meals, drinks and snacks. And eat real, whole nutrient dense foods. Vegetables are full of fiber.

The above is the most important thing to know. Nutrients and no high glycemic impacting meals. After that, you have to figure out what your own issues are. How low gi you need to go, how well you can digest seeds, fructose, what food intolerances you might have, etc. You can buy gluten free oats. Or better yet, buckwheat. You could also try legumes like lentils, but any beans, grains or other seeds should be prepared properly with soaking fermenting or sprouting.

And the above poster is right about getting outside into he bright light in the daytime, and limiting artificial light at night. Mimic as natural a circadian cycle as possible. And move around as much as possible every day.

MemberMember
(@locustreign)

Posted : 01/15/2013 11:35 am

Thank you a lot to both of you for your excellent advices. :)

Well, yes, I'm avoiding dairy a way long before I decided to try this new diet.

I'm trying to improve my circadian circle, which is a little bit difficult because my work makes me stay awake until 3 AM. About exercising, I was really active on the gym until August, when I had a serious injury on my lower back, due to an herniated disc. I'm trying to get back to the gym (I can't lift anymore) to do some anaerobic activity - except running, since it hurts my chronic injury.

@Drth, you spotted a big problem of mine, that I didn't realise until now. Since I live in Portugal, a mediterranean nation, our traditional diet revolves around olive oil a lot. I was not avoiding it, but I sure will.

What are your opinions about canned tuna, by the way? Is it considered a processed food?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/15/2013 12:14 pm

I didn't say work out at a gym. I said move around a lot every day. And don't avoid vegetables, fruit or olive oil. Just don't binge on high sugar fruit and limit the olive oil making sure it is a quality oil, is properly stored and used to avoid rancid oils or trans fats. Don't use olive oil for high heat cooking such as frying..

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:54 pm

In a word, fat. Eat more animal fat. Start cooking with lard, and don't drain your meats of the juices.

If you're not exercising regularly, then start.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/15/2013 4:35 pm

Have you tried eating a handful of nuts, such as walnuts? Also, pumpkin seeds seasoned with spices are great for energy. Also, I make lemonade with pure lemon juice, water, and stevia to keep the sugar cravings away. Ginger tea with stevia or just plain works too for a natural pick me up.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:54 pm

I assume you're already avoiding any vegetable oils, ESPECIALLY OLIVE OIL, which has horrible impacts w/r/t inflammatory response and WILL wreck your hormonal balance and thus may PERMANENTLY damage your acne issues even more.

SO, acne-prone people should prefer refined carbs and avoid vegetable oils such as EVOO.

Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=132#healthbenefits

It certainly doesn't break me out.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/16/2013 8:16 am

O

Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties: http://www.whfoods.c...#healthbenefits

It certainly doesn't break me out.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/16/2013 9:04 am

So, I decided to start the low GI diet on January 1st. I can see some improvements, especially on the oiliness of my skin - though I keep breaking out around my lips and nose.

The main problem is that I keep feeling hungry most of the time. All my life (I'm 22 years old), I've been accustomed to high amounts of pasta, rice, bread, etc., so having none of that is messing with me a bit. I feel a lack of energy and light-headedness. I don't know where I can find something that maintains me satisfied throughout the day.

I eat plenty of fish, poultry (though I'm starting to be suspicious about all the meat), vegetables and fruit. I love fruit, but from what I've been reading over here, it can cause breakouts due to its fructose and sugar levels.

So, any tips? Do you think I can replace some of the carbs with brown rice and sweet potatoes, with these having low impact on my skin? How about oatmeal? I was about to buy it, but I saw that it contains gluten.

And I'm also having problems in finding good sources of fiber.

Can you please help me?

Thank you

Need fat in your diet mate. It's that simple