Notifications
Clear all

New Diet....need A Little Advice

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 01/13/2013 8:31 pm

For roughly around a week I have been attempting to start a lower Glycemic Index/load diet (along with eliminating most processed foods and most sugars/artificial sweeteners) in hopes that would aid in my acne healing, but I feel like I am struggling a bit. I am not so much struggling with will power, but really knowing what to eat.

I have a fairly restricted diet as I am a non-dairy vegetarian and have a sunflower seed/oil allergy (you'd be surprised of all that it's in....it can be restricting) and I am not sure what to eat. I currently eat mostly whole foods such as vegetables, fruit, legumes, and nuts, but I am not sure if I am combining foods correctly. I read somewhere on a post that if you eat something higher on the GI you should combine with something lower. But, how often can you do this throughout the day and are there things that should just be avoided altogether? Also, I would appreciate any ideas for recipes/foods to eat or if you don't mind sharing the things you eat to get an example of fresh ideas for my diet. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 01/14/2013 12:20 am

Just for background: I exclude all oils (vegetable,canola,olive etc.) all processed foods (even "baked" chips since they contain oils); all dairy; all white flour based products; any pan fried or deep friend foods; all "regular" pasta (stick with 100% whole wheat), all sweets/any white sugar (i use "sugar in the raw brand"), red meat

What I am left with, and what I make due with are potatoes, chicken, beans,lentils, split pea, garbanzo beans, vegetarian chili, almond milk for the morning cereal (obvs nothing like frosted flakes), and obvs all fruits and vegetables. I know its not the fanciest list of ingredients but like I said I make due.

I would check out websites like

http://veganyumminess.com/

http://veganyumyum.com/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/14/2013 9:02 am

You are making it harder than it is. If you are eating whole foods like you named, the only possible problem is if you binge on high sugar fruit. Quit worrying. Except, what are you doing for fats?

And there are recipes and suggestions in the pinned food and recipe thread.

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. For fats I eat a couple hand fulls of nuts a day, eggs a couple of times a week, flax seed in a daily green smoothie and I cook with extra virgin olive oil. The only high sugar fruit I have been eating is bananas but I usually have those in the smoothie (that has been part of the concern if I can combine something higher like that with the rest of the smoothie which is fairly low). I don't eat as much fruit as vegetables, and have been trying to avoid the vegetables that are higher on the GI like butternut squash and white potatoes. Could those things be combined with lower GI foods or should they just be avoided? I think that is my main confusion with all of it and is definitely resulting in me making it harder than it is. I figure any diet is a work in progress but I don't want to start off with bad habits.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:46 pm

Low glycemic eating is just one piece of the puzzle. Basically just eat whole foods and avoid processed foods...even foods like fruit juices (too processed --- too concentrated --- too much fruit in one sitting). Avoid high sugar fruits as much as possible.

You can't just go by what the charts say. Why? Because for example, foods like yams, although high in natural sugars, are also very high in fiber and vitamin A which is helpful for acne.

When doing smoothies go light on the fruit. Don't put more fruit in than you would naturally eat in one setting. This differs from what is said on many juicing sites...but then they may not be dealing with diabetes or acne. The best fruits for people with acne are berries because they are high in antioxidants. Try only putting in half a banana. However banana may not be an issue for you since it is like yams, high in fiber which is good for the body.

Make your meals with whole foods. You can eat pasta but try brown rice pasta. Try not eating breads, even whole grain breads. Why? Because breads are much like fruit juices in that they are in effect a processed food, very concentrated...lots of grain in one serving because it is ground up. Instead eat a whole food like a potato or brown rice. Yes, I know, potato is high on the glycemic charts but many nutritionists feel there is a problem with those charts in that they don't take into account eating the skin of the potato or all the fiber and potassium in potatoes. All of which is very good for the body!

Rule of thumb...is it a whole natural food? Then eat it.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/15/2013 6:22 am

For roughly around a week I have been attempting to start a lower Glycemic Index/load diet (along with eliminating most processed foods and most sugars/artificial sweeteners) in hopes that would aid in my acne healing, but I feel like I am struggling a bit. I am not so much struggling with will power, but really knowing what to eat.

I have a fairly restricted diet as I am a non-dairy vegetarian and have a sunflower seed/oil allergy (you'd be surprised of all that it's in....it can be restricting) and I am not sure what to eat. I currently eat mostly whole foods such as vegetables, fruit, legumes, and nuts, but I am not sure if I am combining foods correctly. I read somewhere on a post that if you eat something higher on the GI you should combine with something lower. But, how often can you do this throughout the day and are there things that should just be avoided altogether? Also, I would appreciate any ideas for recipes/foods to eat or if you don't mind sharing the things you eat to get an example of fresh ideas for my diet. Thanks!

Ive said this many time before on here.

The whole GI thing is overstated and can drive people crazy. Basicly the whole GI thing has been designed fasted people. They then got people to eat a certain food than determine the GI. However the GI response is different when non fasted and when consuming fats and protein the GI response is less.

I would argue it is much more important to make sure you have plenty of fibre in your diet to help increase insulin sensitivity.

Just keep it simple. The key words u said there "whole foods" Continue down that line and you will be fine.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:32 am

Thanks for the responses. For fats I eat a couple hand fulls of nuts a day, eggs a couple of times a week, flax seed in a daily green smoothie and I cook with extra virgin olive oil. The only high sugar fruit I have been eating is bananas but I usually have those in the smoothie (that has been part of the concern if I can combine something higher like that with the rest of the smoothie which is fairly low). I don't eat as much fruit as vegetables, and have been trying to avoid the vegetables that are higher on the GI like butternut squash and white potatoes. Could those things be combined with lower GI foods or should they just be avoided? I think that is my main confusion with all of it and is definitely resulting in me making it harder than it is. I figure any diet is a work in progress but I don't want to start off with bad habits.

Yes. You combine high and low. Eat the squash.

MemberMember
(@songbirdsing)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:09 am

Thanks so much for everyone's helpful responses! Fiber is not something that I thought of so I will definitely keep that in mind as well.