Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Tried Echinacea?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/03/2012 2:18 am

i found this study:

The potential use of Echinacea in acne: control of Propionibacterium acnes growth and inflammation.

Sharma M, Schoop R, Suter A, Hudson JB.

Source

Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.

Abstract

Acne is a chronic inflammatory disorder of skin follicles caused by the gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes. The possibility was investigated that a standardized preparation of Echinacea purpurea (Echinaforce), with known antiviral, antiinflammatory and antibacterial properties, might provide a useful alternative treatment in the control of the disease. The herbal extract readily killed a standard laboratory strain of the bacterium and several clinical isolates. In cell culture models of human bronchial epithelial cells and skin fibroblasts, P. acne induced the secretion of substantial amounts of several pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL-6 and IL-8 (CXCL8), as determined by means of cytokine-antibody arrays. However, the E. purpurea completely reversed this effect and brought the cytokine levels back to normal. Thus Echinaforce could provide a safe two-fold benefit to acne individuals by inhibiting proliferation of the organism and reversing the bacterial-induced inflammation.

so i am going to buy some. has anyone used it before? i read about someone who was 100% clear when they used it in 2002 but they didn't respond to a forum post 10 years later. did it work for you?

MemberMember
(@microsunny)

Posted : 12/04/2012 1:59 am

Echinacea is a blood purifier so it helps detoxify your blood (like Burdock root). This helps with acne as our skin is the largest organ (most surface area) in our body and a lot of toxins are eliminated from it hence contributing to acne. I take it when i feel a cold coming on and it really does help boost the immune system and leucocyte count so i never get colds! Not sure how much it helps with acne by itself since i take other supplements and eat a pretty healthy diet plus i don't take it everyday, only when i get cold symptoms. :)

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:36 am

alright thanks bud. what do you use to get rid of your acne?

MemberMember
(@microsunny)

Posted : 12/07/2012 4:02 am

No promlemo ^^ Looking at your daily routine it appears that you're already doing all the best things! I take a 5000 iu vitamin d daily. Sometimes i take Co-Q 10 capsules (120mg) and omega 3 capsules. At the moment i mainly attribute my improved skin condition to a homemade face mask i have adapted and use every day. It's composed of greek yoghurt, oatmeal, coconut milk, turmeric, gram/chickpea flour, honey and the gel from vitamin e and Co-Q10 capsules.