Notifications
Clear all

Any Ideas On How To Stop Drinking Dairy?

MemberMember
(@thekidjohn)

Posted : 11/18/2012 11:30 pm

Well Since the 6th Grade I've drank milk for breakfast and before bed. Sometimes I ate cereal 3-4 times a day not to mention all the other dairy products I ate. I'm in the 10th grade now so that is 5 years. 365 days a year. That's about 2 bowls of milk/cereal a day 730 bowls of cereal/milk a year and 3650 bowls of cereal/milk to date. Not to mention the ice cream, cheese, regular cups of milk, and other dairy products I've ate? I'm also allergic to Soy and Wheat and about 90% of the ingredients in cereal but I still eat it.

MemberMember
(@carp351)

Posted : 11/19/2012 12:01 am

Greens, almond milk.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:19 am

Coconut milk

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:40 am

Well Since the 6th Grade I've drank milk for breakfast and before bed. Sometimes I ate cereal 3-4 times a day not to mention all the other dairy products I ate. I'm in the 10th grade now so that is 5 years. 365 days a year. That's about 2 bowls of milk/cereal a day 730 bowls of cereal/milk a year and 3650 bowls of cereal/milk to date. Not to mention the ice cream, cheese, regular cups of milk, and other dairy products I've ate? I'm also allergic to Soy and Wheat and about 90% of the ingredients in cereal but I still eat it.

Just say no. To all those things including the cereal.

MemberMember
(@davidlane)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:42 pm

You have to be strong and really force yourself not to eat all that stuff.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:07 pm

Don't buy it. If that fails, don't pour it. If even that fails, don't put the glass to your mouth. If at that point you can't stop I have no way of helping you.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:23 pm

Almond milk is delicious <3

I heard coconut milk is good too

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:13 pm

Just don't drink it. Job done :D

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:03 am

As soon as i read it would contribute to acne i just quit it as it was nothing. If i set a goal i will always achieve it.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:14 am

While I don't have any milk allergies, I try to stay away from it for the fat content. It's hard - I love milk. Like, LOVE it. I can drink half a gallon a day, easy. So I always keep a bottle of water in the fridge (a huge bottle so I can just chug from it) to drink instead of the milk. It satisfies wanting something cold and filling to drink. If you can get away with not buying it, that's definitely a good idea. (My boyfriend uses it cook, so it's always there in the fridge for us.)

MemberMember
(@pickychick)

Posted : 11/30/2012 8:34 am

I really like almond milk. You can also try rice milk or coconut milk. I'd avoid having too much soy milk though because it's more controversial with all the phytoestrogens and stuff. You can also get nondairy yogurt made with coconut milk or soy milk. For me, having no cheese is the hardest - I'm not sure what a good subtitute is. I know there is soy cheese and almond cheese but I've never tried them.

Try to get your family on board (if they're not already), that will help a lot. Also, if you feel comfortable, lie and tell people that you're lactose intolerance. It's just easier and they're less likely to pressure you to eat pizza with them.

Good luck!

*sorry, just saw that you're allergic to soy. Never mind about the soy milk, obviously.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/30/2012 10:31 am

Eek. "Dairy" has no essential vitamins or minerals that we need, that we can't get from other sources. There is NO reason to be drinking cow milk. Humans are the only animals that drink milk past the stage of weaning. Humans are also the only animals that regularly consume the milk of another animal. Think about it, you regularly consume bovine milk intended for young, growing cows. This could really take its toll on your immune system, hormones, and your digestive system. Just simply cut dairy out. There are plenty of alternatives: almond milk, coconut milk. If you really desire the "taste" of dairy, try drinking organic kefir, because it is usually 99% lactose free and it is actually considered to some, a superfood. Good luck on your journey. Your health will be much better off for it, even if you don't immediately see the results on your skin.

MemberMember
(@thekidjohn)

Posted : 12/03/2012 12:39 am

Eek. "Dairy" has no essential vitamins or minerals that we need, that we can't get from other sources. There is NO reason to be drinking cow milk. Humans are the only animals that drink milk past the stage of weaning. Humans are also the only animals that regularly consume the milk of another animal. Think about it, you regularly consume bovine milk intended for young, growing cows. This could really take its toll on your immune system, hormones, and your digestive system. Just simply cut dairy out. There are plenty of alternatives: almond milk, coconut milk. If you really desire the "taste" of dairy, try drinking organic kefir, because it is usually 99% lactose free and it is actually considered to some, a superfood. Good luck on your journey. Your health will be much better off for it, even if you don't immediately see the results on your skin.

Iv'e read something similar to this. It's just that I think I can say that I am (Addicted) to milk. I literally can't look at or hear the word milk before Im drinking milk but today I had my first success in not drinking milk. I refused to eat cereal just 20 minutes ago.

I really like almond milk. You can also try rice milk or coconut milk. I'd avoid having too much soy milk though because it's more controversial with all the phytoestrogens and stuff. You can also get nondairy yogurt made with coconut milk or soy milk. For me, having no cheese is the hardest - I'm not sure what a good subtitute is. I know there is soy cheese and almond cheese but I've never tried them.

Try to get your family on board (if they're not already), that will help a lot. Also, if you feel comfortable, lie and tell people that you're lactose intolerance. It's just easier and they're less likely to pressure you to eat pizza with them.

Good luck!

*sorry, just saw that you're allergic to soy. Never mind about the soy milk, obviously.

Well Ive been searching for a milk alternative and I have decided that I will drink Green Tea instead. Its not really a replacement but I just figured why not find something new to drink instead. It tastes bitter,fills me up , and I dont know if its like a placebo effect but it relieves my urge for mild :D

While I don't have any milk allergies, I try to stay away from it for the fat content. It's hard - I love milk. Like, LOVE it. I can drink half a gallon a day, easy. So I always keep a bottle of water in the fridge (a huge bottle so I can just chug from it) to drink instead of the milk. It satisfies wanting something cold and filling to drink. If you can get away with not buying it, that's definitely a good idea. (My boyfriend uses it cook, so it's always there in the fridge for us.)

I LOVE Milk more than any other drink out there. I can eat cereal with it and I can drink it. Ive finished 2 gallons of milk in just one day. The bad thing is that theres always 2-3 gallons of milk in the fridge because my whole family loves milk so I always see them drinking it, so not buying it isn't an option. Cold water does look like a good idea though, might try it.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 12/03/2012 1:30 am

And that's not to mention the rGBH hormone pumped into basically all cows, unless specified otherwise. Or the antibiotics to keep the utters from getting infected and filling with pus. Or the inhumane way in which most of the dairy cattle are raised and kept.

If you do insist on drinking dairy, you should absolutely look into an organic brand that specifically tells you that these things are not in the milk. And milk really should not be your primary source of fluids throughout the day. A pure source of water would be much healthier for the body. Or if you're scared of the amount of sugar you consume at once from fruit juice, you could always water the juice down a bit.

Coconut water is so freaking good (IMO), however it's a tad expensive. But that stuff is amazing and definitely worth a try