Notifications
Clear all

Microbial Imbalance And Acne

MemberMember
(@switch124)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:25 pm

I recommend you all read this:

http://www.gutpathogens.com/content/3/1/1

And consider getting yourself tested for Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and having a detailed stool analysis preformed.

Personally, when my SIBO is under control, I feel great and my acne is completely GONE! When my SIBO returns, so does my acne.

My diet is low FODMAP (google it) - this includes gluten and dairy.

For immediate results, you may also consider getting a food allergy test preformed. However, if you can reheal your gut and stick to a low FODMAP diet many of the "trigger foods" that are not FODMAPs and thus are likely allergies will go away.

Wish I had more time to talk more. After 9 years of acne this has really been the missing piece to the puzzle, I hope it helps someone else out there.

p.s. Also currently taking calcium and zinc. To keep my body alkaline. I still consume carbs in the form of rice, potatoes, quinao etc.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:06 pm

Good read, I read something similar a few years back. I definitely believe in the gut-skin connection. The problems seems to be curing this imbalance lol. Lots of people on here have tried probiotics and broken out worse from them. Just checked out that diet ya posted, first time Ive ever heard of onions being bad for IBS. Even specifies saying to strictly avoid them. Usually Ive read they are great for the gut because they are so high in prebiotics. Right now Im having really good success with what Im doin now.. you can find that in a thread I started if your interested.. think its on the 2nd page now. But key things that are helping me is juicing in the morning, very low to no sugar, digestive enzymes, B5 and zinc.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 11/11/2012 4:58 am

I recommend you all read this:

http://www.gutpathog...m/content/3/1/1

And consider getting yourself tested for Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and having a detailed stool analysis preformed.

Personally, when my SIBO is under control, I feel great and my acne is completely GONE! When my SIBO returns, so does my acne.

My diet is low FODMAP (google it) - this includes gluten and dairy.

For immediate results, you may also consider getting a food allergy test preformed. However, if you can reheal your gut and stick to a low FODMAP diet many of the "trigger foods" that are not FODMAPs and thus are likely allergies will go away.

Wish I had more time to talk more. After 9 years of acne this has really been the missing piece to the puzzle, I hope it helps someone else out there.

p.s. Also currently taking calcium and zinc. To keep my body alkaline. I still consume carbs in the form of rice, potatoes, quinao etc.

awesome info. I am suspecting SIBO as a cause for me. How long did it take you to see the effects of a SIBO diet? Also, what symptoms of SIBO did you have besides acne? The reason I ask is because the only thing that doesn't add up is that I don't have any intestinal issues. The only one i can say is that fiber makes me more constipated (contrary to popular belief) and gives me flatulence.

I always breakout from soy, alcohol, probiotics, broccoli. These are things that relate to SIBO too.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/11/2012 2:40 pm

It's so confusing. Because this sounds similar to the specific carb diet in many ways (also designed to heal the gut) but it's opposite in some ways too. On the specific carb diet, honey is supposed to be one of the safe carbs, and it's listed as bad on the FODMAP diet. I also see that onions and garlic are listed as bad and those are two of the most important prebiotic foods that are necessary to heal the gut. I've been loading my diet with onions at every meal. How are we supposed to know which is true?

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:01 pm

can anyone point out the differences between the candida diet and the FODMAP diet?

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 11/11/2012 7:47 pm

what about taking rifaxmin for the sibo?