Notifications
Clear all

Has Any Health Practitioner You've Visited Actually Given You

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:49 pm

Sound advice and counseling regarding your skin that you found valuable/not from self-experiementation or anything that you could have researched and discovered online anyway? Just thought I would ask if you have any recommendations. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:59 pm

The last time I went to a doctor, they told me I was in perfect health. A blood test revealed nothing.

My dermatologist told me I would only heal with Accutane.

I don't think current methods are very good at detecting a true health problem, which manifest themselves in very subtle ways.

My girlfriend's leg swelled up to a very large size and the doctor was able to tell her : nothing. She paid $345 for the visit. We discovered it was an allergic reaction to this frozen Indian rice we were buying.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:11 pm

HAH! Yes, sometimes it takes "scientific" investigation on our own behalves. I can't imagine being a doctor, of all the thousands of conditions, many sharing similar symptoms and etiologies. It's enough to make my head almost explode thinking about it.

The mind-body connection has been respected for thousands of years in Eastern culture but is just now becoming resepcted by mainstream science. A telling sign that one facet of my acne puzzle is stored emotions and over-all mental well being came when the rash that I had, (kind of resembling excema and tinea versicolor) completely vanished in less than a week after I split from my abusive boyfriend. From a logical perspective this could have been due to a separation from soemthing environmental that was triggering me at his place, but I honestly don't think so. I think a part of my body was literally allergic to him! haha

I kind of wished that said mystery rash could have been diagnosed since it lasted a good three months but I don't miss it.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:52 pm

To answer your question in a word: no.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:23 pm

Sound advice and counseling regarding your skin that you found valuable/not from self-experiementation or anything that you could have researched and discovered online anyway? Just thought I would ask if you have any recommendations. Thanks.

No.

MemberMember
(@dabowez)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:43 pm

My thoughts on this

We need to remember here the world we live in.

Doctors work within the confines of the "accepted" "proven" treatment options for various conditions.

We all have our opinions on how these treatments were developed and proven, BUT the doctors have to comply with these as if they do not the leave themselves massively open to lawsuits, so they stick the, usually, narrow confines of what they are allowed to do.

You would ask why changing a diet could be construed as an area where there's a risk of being sued, well as Diet is not yet fully endorsed as being a significant factor in Acne (I know it has a large impact on mine though others say it has no impact) then simply leave themselves open and most will not risk it.

Having said that I visited a derm recently for a totally unrelated matter and we had a long discussion on Acne where she fully endorsed managing your diet (and I know this is only one factor in other here) in fact she was helping her 15 year old using diet as part of a holistic (in the sense of a whole approach) as well as topicals with she says great success

So maybe if we stop suing people so often there may be more chance of other options being discussed

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:17 am

Sort of. I had a Dr. a whole-heartedly agreed with, which is amazingly rare for me. I was in the ER after a car accident, and we were discussing the allergic reaction I had to the powder in the airbags. We got on to the subject of dermal health, inflammation, systemic inflammation, and the myriad of symptoms resultant. One manifestation, as most of us in this forum know, is acne.

On this subject, he went into a lengthy discourse about the average american diet, sedentary lifestyle, and acne. It was very heart-lifting to hear such a well educated, free thinker, talk. The oddest thing about it, was that it occurred in a tiny town, population 2000, in northern WI.

He really destroyed any preconceived notions I had about small-town dr's.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2012 8:48 am

Sort of. I had a Dr. a whole-heartedly agreed with, which is amazingly rare for me. I was in the ER after a car accident, and we were discussing the allergic reaction I had to the powder in the airbags. We got on to the subject of dermal health, inflammation, systemic inflammation, and the myriad of symptoms resultant. One manifestation, as most of us in this forum know, is acne.

On this subject, he went into a lengthy discourse about the average american diet, sedentary lifestyle, and acne. It was very heart-lifting to hear such a well educated, free thinker, talk. The oddest thing about it, was that it occurred in a tiny town, population 2000, in northern WI.

Where in northern WI? I want my mother to see a doctor who knows how important diet is. Hopefully he'll prescribe nutrients before drugs. She's in Rice Lake between Eau Claire and Duluth.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:16 pm

Where in northern WI? I want my mother to see a doctor who knows how important diet is. Hopefully he'll prescribe nutrients before drugs. She's in Rice Lake between Eau Claire and Duluth.

Holy cow, it might actually be viable then, ha. It was in Hayward - which, you probably know, is between rice lake and duluth. I'll dig out the paperwork, it was Timothy something. I don't know if he is just an ER doc or what though.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:37 pm

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Timothy_Wolter

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2012 4:01 pm

Holy cow, it might actually be viable then, ha. It was in Hayward - which, you probably know, is between rice lake and duluth. I'll dig out the paperwork, it was Timothy something. I don't know if he is just an ER doc or what though.

Thanks. Please do. Although Hayward is quite a ways away. Do you live in that area?

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 11/12/2012 7:50 pm

Thanks. Please do. Although Hayward is quite a ways away. Do you live in that area?

http://www.vitals.co..._Timothy_Wolter

I do live here at the moment.

MemberMember
(@gman89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 5:59 am

I work with a microbiologist who is in contact with a few doctors that explicitly make their business on doing 'detective work' on patients as they have a genuine interest in understanding the field better. I think I will eventually pursue this.