Notifications
Clear all

Poll: Which Foods Are You Sure Break You Out?

MemberMember
(@sweetandnatural)

Posted : 11/06/2012 8:53 pm

If you are sure that certain foods cause you to break out, please post them here, for the benefit of others. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@keelyface)

Posted : 11/06/2012 9:34 pm

soda definitely makes me break out. mostly brown one like coke and pepsi. i always notice a pimple or two after i drink a couple sodas.

MemberMember
(@hunyeo)

Posted : 11/06/2012 10:00 pm

Pizza! Definitely.

MemberMember
(@outofoptions)

Posted : 11/06/2012 10:06 pm

These threads just end up listing like every single food group, and then people are afraid to eat anything. Everyone is different, so looking at what breaks one person out, and assuming it will cause you problems is a bad idea.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 11/06/2012 10:30 pm

These threads just end up listing like every single food group, and then people are afraid to eat anything. Everyone is different, so looking at what breaks one person out, and assuming it will cause you problems is a bad idea.

This. I completely agree with you.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:11 am

You can list a thousand foods, but with the foods just mentioned...

SODA - this has a lot of sugar?

"The body's homeostatic mechanism, when operating normally, restores the blood sugar level to a narrow range of about 4.4 to 6.1 mmol/L (82 to 110 mg/dL)"

If my math is right, that should get us to roughly 1 gram per liter. Let's say a healthy human adult has around 5 liters of blood. That is less than 5 grams of sugar in the bloodstream.

Sugar can actually kill you, so your body has to regulate this. It does so through use of hormones. Basically it is saying a pimple is better than death.

PIZZA

Just the word is making me salivate. I'm tempted to go down the street and grab a slice.

Which kind are we talking about.. the thin pizza you can find in Rome with no cheese? Or the deepdish Dominos variety?

I don't even know where to start with pizza. First, the marinara sauce contains a good amount of sugar, which alone isn't too harmful. The underlying base layer, which is the crust, is basically a giant hunk of bread, which isn't very nutritious and high in carbs (sugar). Next, we have the cheese which, last I checked, Dominos never cared about if their cheese is coming from a cow that has been treated with... nevermind. In the end, it doesn't matter. Cheese is essentially milk, in a nice, dense, compacted form.

I don't believe listing a long list of foods will be unhelpful, but it will however, become longer, and longer (which is the problem).

Knowing the underlying science (even to a very basic degree) is definitely going to be more helpful for most people.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:58 am

Kentucky Fried Chicken is the only food that's ever broken me out. I don't need a lecture on how bad it is considering it's very, very rare that I ever have junk food anyway. But the grease from it seems to come straight out onto my skin (I know this isn't scientifically accurate, hence 'seems to').

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:51 am

I have no conclusive proof that any food affects me anymore than other foods.

Unless one eliminates all variables we can never be 100% it is that one particular food.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:54 am

Gluten. Soy. Corn.

Those are things that are basically toxic to my system. But other things, if eaten regularly, also break my system down. The reaction isn't as acute, but it happens over time if I eat these foods consistently: sweet potatoes, any grains, dairy, beans.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 12:59 pm

Unless one eliminates all variables we can never be 100% it is that one particular food.

A lot of people have eliminated variables until they've found success.

I personally have eliminated variables by staying on a simple diet of fish and kale, and introducing different foods until I found my trigger.

My triggers most definitely include gluten and dairy.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 11/07/2012 2:31 pm

A lot of people have eliminated variables until they've found success.

I personally have eliminated variables by staying on a simple diet of fish and kale, and introducing different foods until I found my trigger.

My triggers most definitely include gluten and dairy.

To nail exactly what is trigger is a tall order.

It could be a combo of foods rather than just on food on it's own.

For me to say that food A is my trigger would be inaccurate because Food A mixed Food B and C could be the trigger.

I improvements in my complextion by cutting gluten out but just an improvment. Not enough to say this was my trigger.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 2:43 pm

Eh... It's not that complex.

I just cut out dairy and grains. I'd say those are quite isolated. Modern science is definitely into closed environments and isolation on a molecular, even sub-molecular level. This really isn't helpful to us that are affected by acne - there is too much macro going on.

"Holistic health" seems more concerned with the macro, rather than the micro. There is a lot of causality and correlation, trial and error, and theoretical science going on, but I believe through all this mistake and error, there are most definitely observable trends and success stories.

I do not believe healing acne is an exact science, but more of a regulation of your lifestyle and diet, and balancing the body's overall important functions and not overloading our systems.

I took a food log for about a month where I documented each new occurrence until I was clear. I'll likely digitize it and put it up for all to see.

I know correlation!=causation, but for me, the change was so radical that I just couldn't ignore it.

Have you tried low-carb? Do you still breakout?

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 11/07/2012 2:47 pm

Pizza is the only one I am 100% sure about

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/07/2012 3:52 pm

I have noticed reaction to (it hasn't been proven)- soy, dairy, gluten, COFFEE, sugar.

It's not too hard to figure out why, either. These things aren't really the best for our natural evolutionary way of eating or our hormones, especially with all the processing that goes on. I recommend the paleo diet, I've been on and off trying as best I can to follow suit.

Regardless of your trigger- if you cut out most of these foods being mentioned here, even if your acne doesn't clear up- you are still doing WONDERFUL THINGS for your body. You may not realize it, but most everything that has been brought up is also harmful to the inside of the body, not just skin.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:09 pm

Coffee is pretty much a drug - a stimulant. I'd say anything like this should be taken in moderation.

MemberMember
(@sweetandnatural)

Posted : 11/09/2012 7:29 pm

i have eliminated dairy (as of two months), but have only noticed a minor improvement, to be honest, despite all the evidence about its connection with acne.

i also know that green tea is a trigger, as is too much refined sugar.

i'm curious about whether citrus fruits or dark chocolate (70%+) has caused it for some?

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 11/09/2012 10:03 pm

For me, any food that gives you a bad digestion. - Soy, corn, some wheat, barley, fries, milk. However, you may actually only notice such stomach ache after you stop consuming it for a while.

I can however, eat much of fruits and vegetables i want, and still feel great and have a smooth clean digestion.

^

Green tea is a refined sugar? it's not the healthiest tea I have to admit. It's concentrated in fluoride, some studies conclude it can increase dht levels.

White or Black tea are better alternatives.

Citrus has no effect on me, chocolate doesn't either. That is just me, there are actal people who can't handle them, so again everyone is different.

Although that is true, soy, corn and grains should be limited no matter who you are.

Funny thing is, after really healing my body, I can eat a pizza once in a while, or drink soda and not break out.

MemberMember
(@hopeful479)

Posted : 11/10/2012 3:39 pm

Definitely ice cream, pizza, chocolate, and butter.

I do pretty good not eating dairy buts it's sooooooo hard!

Sugar is hard as well, I've given up coffee so I've cut down on some sugar on that.

It's really difficult to eat good everyday.....nevermind expensive!

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/10/2012 4:11 pm

I have no conclusive evidence but if I limit dairy, bread, refined sugar and caffeine, my skin tends to fare better.

I am quite into physical fitness - I do lots of cycling and rambling (walking) and I don`t drink or smoke. Not sure if this has any major impact on my skin but it does help to keep me slim and fit.

I`m quite boring really but as a treat, I will have one or two Starbucks cappucinos per week (sad I know)! However in the past, if my skin was bad I would forego even this as my effed up brain would tell me that I did not deserve it!