Notifications
Clear all

Whey And Soy Protein Substitutes For Post Workout Nutrition?

MemberMember
(@solitaryman)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:19 am

I've noticed that my skin reacts by breaking out whenever I've been taking whey protein/mass gainer supplements for awhile so I've cut that out. Tried to replace my post workout nutrition with soy milk but have noticed very small breakouts too. Anyone else here who works out/bodybuild can point me in the direction of other easy to consume protein sources that are less likely to cause breakouts?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:47 am

I've noticed that my skin reacts by breaking out whenever I've been taking whey protein/mass gainer supplements for awhile so I've cut that out. Tried to replace my post workout nutrition with soy milk but have noticed very small breakouts too. Anyone else here who works out/bodybuild can point me in the direction of other easy to consume protein sources that are less likely to cause breakouts?

Whatever other ingredients were in the protein shake. Too many blame the post workout whey protein but fail to look at other ingredients. Also how pure is the whey?

I wouldn't use soy if you're working out. Soy can increase estrogen.

If you are concerned then eat solid food post workout.

Research indicates that protein synthesis (your ability to create/repair muscle) is primed about one to three hours after your workout. Thats why youve been told to eat immediately after your workout. But most of that research is based on people who didnt eat before training. If you eat a protein-filled meal before your workout, youll still have amino acids available, meaning the timing of your post-workout meal is less important.

So therefore there is nothing wrong with finishing your workout, go home and eating chicken and rice an hour later or whatever protein and carb meal you want to eat. Personal fave of mine is spicy cajun chicken quinoa. High protein high carb.

To conclude. If you think whey is causing u breakout then eat real food. I wouldn't use soy though. But that's just me.

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:48 am

I workout but i don't take any protein substitutes. If you have to take one then try hemp protein powder. It's easily digested and is high in EFAs.

Soy milk is great as it's a good source of protien, but a lot of people would say soy is bad, i disagree. Unless you have and allergy then 1-2 servings a day is healthy, most of the myths about soy are ridiculous and haven't been proven. However, i would stay away from isolated soy protein supplements.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:51 am

I workout but i don't take any protein substitutes. If you have to take one then try hemp protein powder. It's easily digested and is high in EFAs.

Soy milk is great as it's a good source of protien, but a lot of people would say soy is bad, i disagree. Unless you have and allergy then 1-2 servings a day is healthy, most of the myths about soy are ridiculous and haven't been proven. However, i would stay away from isolated soy protein supplements.

I wouldn't say soy is bad but for working out it's not optimal due to how it can increase estrogen in the body.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:03 am

I have used pea protein with no problem. Not the # 1 train but it is an option. I also agree with the suggestion of eating nutrition dense food post workout if it is convenient for you.

MemberMember
(@solitaryman)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:07 am

I sometimes find it hard to stomach real foods after a heavy workout.

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays 1320037677067-nutri-soy-soya-milk-reduced-sugar-500ml_jpg_600x537_q85.jpg

MemberMember
(@verdnase)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:25 am

I wouldn't say soy is bad but for working out it's not optimal due to how it can increase estrogen in the body.

Yes, isoflavones in soy can act as weak estrogens. I understand why some men might worry about that, but there's just no evidence that it causes any harm in men, especially the claim that it affects a man's fertility. I think as long as you have soy whole and unprocessed and moderation then it's more likley to help you than harm you.

Real whole foods are always better than supplements. You should always wait about 30 mins before you eat after a workout.

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays

Always buy organic soy milk and make sure it doesn't have carrageenan(a thickening agent that is extracted from seaweed), which is linked to cancer.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:26 am

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays 1320037677067-nutri-soy-soya-milk-reduced-sugar-500ml_jpg_600x537_q85.jpg

Then give it an hour before eating. This won't impact on your gains or cutting. Believe me when i say downing a shake 3 seconds after u finishing working out is broscience.

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 10/08/2012 5:04 pm

There are quite a few companies that produce vegan protein supplements. I take Sunwarrior's Warrior Blend (Hemp, pea and cranberry), but there are others. I think the company Vega also has good proteins.

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:21 pm

Try whey protein isolate, apparently they take out the lactose so there is no dairy, just the pure whey without anything else. I'm not exactly sure on that though, you could try taking egg protein powder, if that doesn't work then I guess you should just eat chicken or something like that post-workout. But yeah stay away from soy it's worse than dairy in my experience for acne.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/09/2012 7:48 am

Soy is completely nasty for the body. Avoid if you can.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:18 am

An easier way would be to do workouts that involve the kind of activity that the body is meant to do and therefore has systems in place to fuel, rather than workouts that require you to eat extra food and food substitutes.

Whey, btw, is very high in the insulinemic amino acids.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:27 am

An easier way would be to do workouts that involve the kind of activity that the body is meant to do and therefore has systems in place to fuel, rather than workouts that require you to eat extra food and food substitutes.

Post workout an insulin spike is beneficial. As long as whey is taken correctly then the insulin index isn't a problem post workout.

MemberMember
(@solitaryman)

Posted : 10/11/2012 4:54 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm just gonna stick to real foods for my post workout nutrition for now.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:33 pm

what time of exercise would this be? running? walking?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/15/2012 8:32 am

We are supposed to move around a lot all day every day walking, doing chores, etc. and to have occasional short spurts of intense activity such as sprinting, stair or hill climbing, lifting heavy things, etc.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/15/2012 2:59 pm

We are supposed to move around a lot all day every day walking, doing chores, etc. and to have occasional short spurts of intense activity such as sprinting, stair or hill climbing, lifting heavy things, etc.

I do agree with most of this.

Take long distance running for example. We're just not built for this and the impact on our body is immense. I can't do any jogging these days. Years of pounding my the treadmill and pavement for cardio work has ruined my ankles.

I much favor HIIT for my training. High intensity interval training. Better conditioning, optimum fat burn less damaging to the body.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/15/2012 4:38 pm

unfortunately im a duathelete so during my training season (Jan-July) i am doing long distance running and bike training. I only train 3 times a week though so not insane about it. (each time i run its 5-10K and biking is 15-40K)

my off season august-dec i focus on yoga, weight lifting and short (30 mins or less) jogging

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/17/2012 9:57 pm

I do agree with most of this.

Take long distance running for example. We're just not built for this and the impact on our body is immense. I can't do any jogging these days. Years of pounding my the treadmill and pavement for cardio work has ruined my ankles.

It's also mostly wasted effort both for training and fat loss. To fuel prolonged intense workouts, your body softly burns the calories you justbate, and then it burns your muscle.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 10/17/2012 11:48 pm

My goto post workout meal is canned wild salmon. It's quick, and easy to get a full can down quickly before you start feeling satiation kicking in, which can happen for foods that you have to chew more. A 15-16 ounce can gets you about 80 ish grams of protein. You'll also be nabbing some other nutrients like selenium, a spectrum of b-vitamins, and omega 3s!

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 10/19/2012 2:22 am

Hemp protein is excellent altough the taste is quite.. well, natural. Egg protein seems to be fine too.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 10/19/2012 8:19 pm

Agreed with TakeToTheSkies. Meat is the most optimal protein. Forget the shakes.