Notifications
Clear all

Acne Prone Skin/sebum Deficient In Linoleic Acid, Possible Topical Solution

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/01/2013 7:13 pm

Evidence that washing away your sebum stimulates more production of sebum. Or at least, the abstract of this peer reviewed paper says it does. the full text is available here: http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v106/n5/pdf/5610517a.pdf I haven't read it yet.

The regulation of epidermal lipid synthesis by permeability barrier requirements.

A major function of the skin is to prevent the loss of fluids. The barrier to fluid loss resides in the intercellular lipids (primarily sterols, fatty acids, and sphingolipids) of the stratum corneum. The epidermis is a very active site of lipid synthesis and when the permeability barrier is disrupted by topical solvents or detergents a marked stimulation of sterol, fatty acid, and sphingolipid synthesis occurs. Essential fatty acid deficient mice, with a chronic disturbance in barrier function, also have an increase in epidermal lipid synthesis. When the defect in barrier function is artificially corrected by occlusion with a water vapor impermeable membrane the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is prevented, suggesting that water flux may be a regulatory factor. The activity of the key rate limiting enzyme in cholesterol synthesis, HMG CoA reductase is increased following barrier disruption due to both an increased quantity of enzyme and an increase in activation state. Similarly, the activity of serine palmitoyl transferase, the rate limiting enzyme in sphingolipid synthesis is also increased following barrier disruption. Occlusion prevents the increase in HMG CoA reductase and serine palmitoyl transferase activity. When the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is inhibited by occlusion the characteristic rapid return of stratum corneum lipids and recovery of barrier function is prevented. Moreover, when epidermal cholesterol synthesis is inhibited by lovastatin, an inhibitor of HMG CoA reductase, the rate of recovery of barrier structure and function is delayed. Similarly, B chloroalanine, an inhibitor of serine palmitoyl transferase and sphingolipid synthesis, also impairs barrier recovery. Thus, disruption of the barrier stimulates epidermal lipid synthesis which provides the lipids necessary for the repair of the barrier. The signals that initiate and coordinate this response are yet to be defined, but the understanding of this process may allow for pharmacological interventions that will specifically disrupt the barrier and allow for the transcutaneous delivery of drugs.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/05/2013 11:19 am

I've been using grapeseed oil on my face once a day for about two weeks now and I gotta say there is a noticeable improvement. At the very least, it's really nice to rinse my face with. But I do notice improvements in my skin texture, and it helps reduce the redness.

Could using BP have contribute to a linoleic acid deficiency in sebum?

When linoleic acid is defficient, the body uses oleic acid in sebum. The makes a greasy, sticky pore clogging sebum. Oleic acid is high in squalene and peroxidated squalene has been found to be a culprit in the inflammation that leads to malformed skin cells.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/16/2013 11:59 am

Hi Alternavista! See bottom of thread for a study I wanted to send to you regarding Bifidobacterium and Linoleic acid!!! I think you may have already posted this study. But I wanted to re-iterate that I think that altered gut microflora can prevent the availability of linoleic acid in the lipid layers of the skin where sebum is produced. This is observed in cases of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but many of us have altered gut flora which I explain at the bottom of my post. Antibiotics take for acne and other childhood illnesses can be a culprit. It takes a long time to reverse this, and you CANT pop random probiotics. They have to be high quality lactobacilli and bifidobacterium-types (e.g. Natren) and maybe in very small doses at first so you don't aggrevate inflammation!! In many gut healing protocols such as GAPS, the probiotics are introduced VERY SLOWLY until well-tolerated. Probiotics are almost like a transplant! You can't chug them like water, they need to be respected ;)

For those of you reading this, if you have closed comedonal or cycstic acne, this is the thread for you!!! Topical linoleic really works. HERE IS THE THING. Many posters on this thread said they tried the linoleic acid for 1 or two months!! In addition to making healthy dietary changes and some of the other great things that Altavista has suggested, if you are going to commit to topical application of linoleic acid, I think you will be MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL if you commit to trying this for 4 to 5 months. Pay close attention to the SIZE of your existing bumps/acnes. Are they diminishing? Are whiteheads turning into blackheads? THis means sebum content is changing. From what I have researched, as long as you are not disrupting your acid mantle with cleansers, creams and chlorinated water (still working on the cholorine issue myself) then you have a good chance of changing your skin with topical application but it takes TIME! And if you can tolerate it, a salicylic acid toner will break up existing plugs while you are changing the sebum content down deep in the pore. My 2 cents.

Recap: I have an autoimmune condition, Mild IBS-C, and a (related to gut) painful bladder condition and being treated by a holistic Dr. I have had acne since 15 that became closed comedonal adult acne and oily skin (Now am 46, sigh) and always used BP/SA topicals. I stopped topicals about 6 weeks ago because they were flaring my condition, and after a brief and horrid foray into jojoba oil (YIKES) I settled on hemp and safflower oil. I know they were working because my whiteheads were diminishing and reverting to blackheads and my skin was slowly, slowing, clearing/healing.

The sad and endlessly frustrating thing about this is that my gut/immune system does not like the high tocopherol content of these linoleic oils. Or perhaps the linoleic acid itself, but most likely the tocopherols. Sigh. Even 2 drops X 2x per day flares my bladder/gut condition. I am wondering what else I can do to address my closed comedonal acne? As I try to heal from the inside out. I have yeast overgrowth (not severe) and SIBO, and leaky gut from taking antibiotics last year for dental work (could KILL my peridontist!!). I am being treated for all of this, from a Chinese Medicine and western perspective.

Currently, since I can't "fake it till I make it" with linoleic acid, I am doing the following ( keeping in mind I can only put on my skin something I could eat):

I have had no sugar or alcohol for 10-11 months. I eat a balanced low GI diet at EVERY MEAL and have for 10 months because of my health condition. I do not snack on carbs like I used to! I take probiotics. I take Carlesons Cod Liver oil. I am going to start one cup of green tea per day. I use a toner of fresh brewed green tea to minimize sebum production and lavender oil for scarring (I tolerate these). I am trying to get the right chlorine filter for my shower. I only wash with warm water and microfiber cloth. Is there ANYTHNG else I can do. I need to re-read your good things for acne thread as well. Below are specific questions. THANK YOU!!!

What is your take on the clarisonic, used properly (i.e. NO excessive pressure or overuse) for linoleic acid-deficient skin? (I dont get cycstic acne). If you think it is ok then how often would you recommend?

What is your take on plain yogurt mask? Some swear by this. I have tried this lactic acid mask and it feels fine but I think it is bringing more bumps to the surface so not sure if it is just a purge thing or if I should only do the mask once in a while?

What is your take on chamomile?

Do you think one cup of coffee per day with full fat cream or grass fed butter is ok? At home I drink Paleo Coffee (Brewed coffee blended in the blender to perfection with sweet butter that is high in CLA-Anyone interested can see paleo coffee demo on Youtube!) Since I eat no sugar and don't drink, this is my only treat. The only dairy I eat is grass fed butter and occasional goat feta.

It is possible that I can go back to linoleic acid when my gut is more healed.

Thanks so much for any thoughts on the above!!

P.S. here is a link to a study that suggests that low levels of the necessary gut bacteria (Bifidobacerium) might impair fatty acid metabolism. This means that linoleic acid cant be delivered to adipose tissue (lipid layers) where we need it for sebum production. This study looks at Irritable Bowel Syndrom. Many, many people have altered gut flora from antibiotic treatments, cesarian birth, NSAID use, Steroid use, and chemical birth control use among others. Let me know what you think about this. Further argument for probiotic supplementation especially if you have a gut or autoimmune condition (Think ANY of the auto-immunes) and also any Irritable Bowel Disease presentation such as IBS, Crohnes, UC, etc...)

"Regulation of adipose tissue and liver fatty acid composition by gut microbes

Gut microbiota can also affect host metabolism and inflammatory state by modulating the tissue fatty acid composition: mammalian intestinal Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria can synthesize from free linoleic acid bioactive isomers of conjugated linoleic acid, which have antidiabetic, anti-atherosclerotic, immunomodulatory, and anti-obesity properties (42). The supplementation of Bifidobacterium breve and linoleic acid to different mammalian species resulted in a two- to threefold higher intestinal, hepatic, and adipose tissue content of cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, and docosahexaenoic acid, concomitantly with a reduced proinflammatory cytokines TNF-±, IL-6, and interferon-³ expression, than the linoleic acid-alone supplemented diet (43) (supplementary Table 1)."

Put this in search engine. It is partial but will bring up the study, and also try the study link below:

Bifidobacterium breve with ±-Linolenic Acid and Linoleic Acid Alters Fatty Acid Metabolism

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0048159

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/16/2013 4:18 pm

So perhaps this is a bit of a debunk of the experts who don't feel that the linoleic acid in our sebum is systemic or dietary. At least the dietary part.

But the vast majority of the population gets plenty of linoleic acid from diets. If sebum linoleic acid really is dietary, very few people would be deficient there.

Yeah, but perhaps it's about the quality? Most people probably consume a lot of oxidized PUFAs

The other issue is that while we all take in linoleic acid of various qualities (poor and good), some of us can't metabolize the fatty acids and transport them where they need to go. I think this has to be part of the picture. This metabolism or lack thereof originates in the gut, like most dis-ease

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2013 4:52 pm

^ Topical or oral chamomile? I know I've come accross some benefits to topical chamomile, beyond the usual soothing, anti-inflammatory, etc. But haven't really followed up. A cup in the evening is beneficial to stress, sleep, blood pressure, and dental/oral health. All of which affect your skin.

As for the coffee, have you tested for caffeine intolerance by avoiding for a while? Otherwise, it's fine if you have it early in the day. Coffee with butter or coconut oil is recommended in place of breakfast for those that intermittent fast by skipping breakfast. Perhaps I'll try it one day. But it will mean having a greasy cup that i have to do more than just rinse out afterward....

I am all for topical yogurt the probiotic strain Streptococcus thermophilus, which is in most yogurt, has been found to boost ceramide production in the skin.

I don't know about the clarsonic. Perhaps the stimulation is beneficial by stimulating blood flow and bringing nutrients to the epidermis?

This paper explores both Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains and their affect on acne and skin function. A connection first proposed by dermatologists over 70 years ago. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038963/?tool=pubmed

bifidobacterium lactis strains may prevent intestinal hyperpermeability study

You might also want to look into the strain Bacillus coagulans

So perhaps this is a bit of a debunk of the experts who don't feel that the linoleic acid in our sebum is systemic or dietary. At least the dietary part.

But the vast majority of the population gets plenty of linoleic acid from diets. If sebum linoleic acid really is dietary, very few people would be deficient there.

Yeah, but perhaps it's about the quality? Most people probably consume a lot of oxidized PUFAs

The other issue is that while we all take in linoleic acid of various qualities (poor and good), some of us can't metabolize the fatty acids and transport them where they need to go. I think this has to be part of the picture. This metabolism or lack thereof originates in the gut, like most dis-ease

Well, yes. I posted about some gene/enzyme mutations that affect this earlier. That's most likely the reason we skin problem prone mammals have this deficiency while most of the population does not.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/17/2013 2:17 pm

Thanks Alternavista!!

LOL, for paleo coffee you brew as usual, then cut a nice chunk of unsalted grass-fed butter (KERRYGOLD is easiest to find, although unsalted often has to be requested) local farmers markets too but unsalted is harder to find?! You blend in blender for 15 seconds and it distributes the fat molecules exactly as if you had added cream! It does NOT leave a greasy cup. And the blender leaves a nice, frothy, latte-like cap on the top when you pour it into your cup! Yum!

How is your dog's skin? We are bringing a puppy home in August and I am going to try a raw diet (Primal brand and/or try making my own).

Oy, starting to wonder if my bladder is even tolerating a few drops of grape seed oil. Sigh. Do you think I have a chance of clearing without topical linoleic acid?? I guess I could try cutting out grains, but wonder if people with linoleic deficiency see big difference on Paleo? I read mixed results....

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/19/2013 12:57 pm

Alternavista!

When you first finally cleared with your blood-sugar stabilizing diet, were you using topical linoleic acid?? My immune system is not tolerating it right now. Not even two frigging drops in AM and PM. When my leaky gut is more healed I think I will be able to use it. But now I am left with probiotics, cod liver oil, and blood sugar stablizing diet to try to change my sebum content. Is there any hope??? Sigh. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/19/2013 4:52 pm

Alternavista!

When you first finally cleared with your blood-sugar stabilizing diet, were you using topical linoleic acid??

No. what happens when you apply it topically? And what else are you doing for you leaky gut? Any mucilaginous plant foods? Does your pobiotic contain bifidobacterium lactis? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/#entry2574119

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/19/2013 5:32 pm

Thanks! (Sorry, long below)

I am working with a holistic Dr. that knows how to treat Interstitial Cystitis naturally by healing the gut. It usually takes 1-2 years. I am 9 months into treatment and previous use of my acne topicals (benzoyle peroxide and Salicylic) really slowed down my bladder/gut progress. Western alternative approach to treating gut/bladder would involve the use of mucilaginous plant foods, but unfortunately in the case of IC, the SIBO, disbyosis and leaky gut is profound and my dr. has a different approach because the freeze dried aloe vera (for my condition) ends up being a band-aid and takes me in the wrong direction. She uses a combo of Eastern And Western approaches. She uses carefully tested probiotics (lactobacilli Megadophillus by Natren and B. Bifidum Mayloth Superstrain-Natren) and a few others. Chinese herbs designed to correct our imbalance. She uses cod liver oil for some of us (I have mild joint pain so she has me on Carlesons cod liver which has made my bottom and arms totally smooth-no more KP!)

If I use even a few drops of the oil (I think it is the tocopherol content) my immune system reacts in an inflammatory way and my lymph system goes bonkers and I have pelvic pain. Crazy I know. This just makes me crazy because I can't even use this ultra natural/effective topical. I might be able to use one drop in my non-comogenic moisterizer (has aloe and a few other things). We can't take vitamin supplements. And even vitamin D is difficult until our guts are more healed. This is a horrific imbalance. I am lucky my symptoms are very manageable right now.

We are allowed yogurt and green tea so I will be applying these topically as mask and toner respectively. I can also use lavender for scarring in moderation. Only spring water to wash face. I guess I will cheat and do OCM with grapeseed one or two times per week and take it all off afterwards (better than nothing you think??) so it doesnt flare me. I know it is the daily dose of linoleic oil is what helps you fake it till you make it.

I am only eating small amount of rice and occasional olive oil potato chips (my only treat!) as far as carbs go. I also tolerate a bit of sweet potato. I like brown rice mochi but try not to eat too much of it.

I try to eat 1/4 protien, 1/4 starch and 1/2 veggies. Only eat low sugar fruit: blueberries and raspberries. Occasional grapefruit or green apple.

I guess my carbs must not be at the right level, because even tho I was using the topical linoleic I could still see that my sebum is icky/oleic type? So my diet still needs tweaking and my gut needs healing (may have yeast, see below). Or do you think I just need more time? 9 months of whole foods no sugar, and no real change in my sebum quality. Sigh.

How do I know if I am controlling my blood sugar appropriately and not eating too many carbs?

I don't eat ANY processed foods and I dont eat sugar or drink alcohol. The only thing I can tinker with is taking out or limiting grains. Paleo says take them out, and I think you are saying to limit them but not necessarily take them out? So I am not sure how much to eat with each meal. I do know that I rarely need to snack and I don't get "toxic hunger" feelings before meals.

We are dabbling in employing SF 722 antifungal for some medium level candida I may have. But I can't start the anti fungal until I stop the linoleic because when I have them both in my system I cant tell which is flaring my symptoms!!

Thanks so much!!

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 07/21/2013 11:48 am

Would you recommend I use the "Clear Skin Diet" book (Logan and Trelaor) as a way to manage blood sugar? I can follow that, minus the wheat and soy and a few other things I have to avoid right now to heal my gut/bladder.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just want to be sure I am getting the right amount of carbs and not sure whether I should start with NO grains and tuber (hard to maintain my energy that way, but lots of people do it) or low grains, mainly small amounts of brown rice and sweet potatoes which I am allowed on my protocol.

Sorry to hijack this thread so terribly! I tried to contact you directly but no luck!

I may try to make my own moisturizer and wondering if you think palm-derived vegetable glycerine + aloe vera + grape seed would be acceptable?
Which aloe vera do you use on your skin that is acne-safe? I need to create a formula that slows the absorption of the grape seed oil into my blood stream as it seems to aggrevate things if I put it on straight.
THANKS for your thoughts!
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/07/2013 7:07 pm

CLA is PPAR receptor inhibitor?

Atherosclerosis. 2006 Jul;187(1):40-9. Epub 2005 Sep 22. FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Click here to read" Links
Profound resolution of early atherosclerosis with conjugated linoleic acid.
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Institute of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) refers to a group of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid and has been shown to suppress the development of atherosclerosis in experimental models. However, the mechanism involved is unclear although it is believed it may act as a cyclooxygenase inhibitor or as an agonist of the nuclear receptors, peroxisome proliferator activated receptors (PPARs). In this study, we examined the effect of cis-9,trans-11:trans-10,cis-12-CLA (80:20 blend) on the regression of pre-established atherosclerosis. ApoE(-/-) mice fed a 1% cholesterol diet were randomized at 8 weeks to continue receiving the diet supplemented with 1% control saturated fat or 1% CLA blend for a further 8 weeks. CLA supplementation did not simply prevent progression but induced almost complete resolution of atherosclerosis. Although CLA inhibited platelet deposition, as detected by staining of platelet glycoprotein alpha11b beta111a, it did not inhibit COX-mediated generation of prostaglandins in this model. However, PPARalpha and PPARgamma expression was increased in the aorta of the CLA-treated animals. This was coincident with decreased macrophage accumulation and decreased expression of the macrophage scavenger receptor CD36 and increased apoptosis in the aorta in vivo. CLA induces the resolution of atherosclerosis by negatively regulating the expression of pro-inflammatory genes and inducing apoptosis in the atherosclerotic lesion.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/07/2013 7:23 pm

Get your vitamin D, ideally from the sun.

It had previously been shown that defects in the immune system interfere with the skin's ability to produce a peptide called cathelicidin, which is protective against microbial invasion. In many skin diseases, including eczema, a deficiency of cathelicidin correlates with increased infection.

Study participants (14 with atopic dermatitis and 14 without) were all given 4000 IUs of oral Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) per day for 21 days. Skin lesions were biopsied before and after the 21-day period. The researchers found that oral vitamin D use by the patients appeared to correct the skin's defect in cathelicidin.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/07/2013 8:13 pm

Good paper explaining inflammatory response. Skimming sees tons on factors known to be involved in acne formation. Obviously, since it's about inflammatory response.

ATVB in Focus: Inflammation

Prostaglandins and Inflammation

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/31/5/986.full full text available.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 10/11/2013 1:57 pm

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/14/2013 10:33 am

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 10/17/2013 7:01 pm

I'm really confused. It seems like everyone is like yes! This is a breakthough...but isn't LA just omega 6 and dont we already get a ton of that? How could acne sufferers have an LA deficiency then? I thought we needed omega 3? So confused...

Someone help me! I want to understand and cure my acne! I don't get it! LA omega 3? I thought we needed more omega 3!?

I just don't understand how if LA is from Omega 6, how acne sufferers have a deficiency of it? Is it just LA strictly or GLA and ALA? I thought we get way too much n-6?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/04/2013 9:00 am

I'm really confused. It seems like everyone is like yes! This is a breakthough...but isn't LA just omega 6 and dont we already get a ton of that? How could acne sufferers have an LA deficiency then? I thought we needed omega 3? So confused...

Someone help me! I want to understand and cure my acne! I don't get it! LA omega 3? I thought we needed more omega 3!?

I just don't understand how if LA is from Omega 6, how acne sufferers have a deficiency of it? Is it just LA strictly or GLA and ALA? I thought we get way too much n-6?

Sorry, I missed this question all this time. Yes most people do consume too much omega 6 in the form of grains, grain oils and products from grain fed animals. And need to consume more omega 3 EFAs. Which is why, as I stated in the beginning, researchers don't believe it's a systemic deficiency. Just a deficiency in the composition of our sebum. A couple of genetic/enzymatic mutations were named as reasons for this deficiency.

And that would be why this thread is about the topical application of linoleic acid containing oil. And why I did tons of research and posted pages and pages of info about how topical application of the oil spreads throughout the sebaceous glands.

That said, I think it could also be about the quality of the oil/grain consumed. These fatty acids are very prone to oxidation. The average person probably consumes cupfuls of rancid oils and grains per day.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/04/2013 11:39 pm

I'm wondering if anyone with acne AND rosacea has tried this.

Interestingly enough, there are some studies showing that rosacea patients have too much linoleic acid in their sebum...so that's a bit of dilemma if you somehow wind up with both acne and rosacea...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/05/2013 8:46 am

Interestingly enough, there are some studies showing that rosacea patients have too much linoleic acid in their sebum...so that's a bit of dilemma if you somehow wind up with both acne and rosacea...

I have acne and rosacea, but they were both mostly under control by my diet. I just hit on this when looking for something to do about my dogs skin problems. My rosacea hasnt worsened since i started using safflower oil. most of the time its my only topical. i rarely bother to mix up my aloe, niacinimide, green tea concoction. And aloe was once my main rosacea treatment.

Do you have both?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/05/2013 8:45 pm

I have acne and rosacea, but they were both mostly under control by my diet. I just hit on this when looking for something to do about my dogs skin problems. My rosacea hasnt worsened since i started using safflower oil. most of the time its my only topical. i rarely bother to mix up my aloe, niacinimide, green tea concoction. And aloe was once my main rosacea treatment.

Do you have both?

Yes, both. Rosacea runs on one side of my family, and acne runs on the other. Yipee, I got both.

I'm glad to hear your rosacea hasn't worsened, at least.

Do you get clogged pores at all? Does safflower help? And have you tried hemp oil? (seems to be talked about a lot when it comes to linoleic acid)

Do the cold-pressed hexane-free food-grade labels for oil apply here?

I don't get inflamed acne anymore because of spironolactone. But I have had clogged pores that have sat on my skin for...years...literally. I have been researching sebum viscosity and am looking for something that would help. Retinoids inflame these veteran clogged pores into acne. High strength acid peels do help, but my rosacea skin hates them, and I am tired of burning my face off to get the plug out. I did try OCM diligently for a while with jojoba and castor oil, but had poor results.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/06/2013 12:36 pm

Do you have both?

Yes, both. Rosacea runs on one side of my family, and acne runs on the other. Yipee, I got both.

I'm glad to hear your rosacea hasn't worsened, at least.

Do you get clogged pores at all? Does safflower help? And have you tried hemp oil? (seems to be talked about a lot when it comes to linoleic acid)

Do the cold-pressed hexane-free food-grade labels for oil apply here?

I don't get inflamed acne anymore because of spironolactone. But I have had clogged pores that have sat on my skin for...years...literally. I have been researching sebum viscosity and am looking for something that would help. Retinoids inflame these veteran clogged pores into acne. High strength acid peels do help, but my rosacea skin hates them, and I am tired of burning my face off to get the plug out. I did try OCM diligently for a while with jojoba and castor oil, but had poor results.

I tried hemp seed, but didn't like it. It seemed greasier. It's only about 50% linoleic acid, although the omega 3 EFAs could be beneficial topically. The Allerderm topical for dogs that started my research includes omega 3.

And yes to the quality of the oil question. Also dark bottle, fresh as possible. Store in the fridge. PUFAs go rancid easy. That's why you shouldn't consume them much.

I think jojoba broke me out. When I first tried oils, I would get non inflamed clogged pores on my forehead, a form of acne I never otherwise got. And the only time I ever noticed any topical breaking me out. jojoba would be amongst the first oils I tried, along with cosmetic grade almond & camelia.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/09/2013 1:56 pm

I tried hemp seed, but didn't like it. It seemed greasier. It's only about 50% linoleic acid, although the omega 3 EFAs could be beneficial topically. The Allerderm topical for dogs that started my research includes omega 3.

And yes to the quality of the oil question. Also dark bottle, fresh as possible. Store in the fridge. PUFAs go rancid easy. That's why you shouldn't consume them much.

I think jojoba broke me out. When I first tried oils, I would get non inflamed clogged pores on my forehead, a form of acne I never otherwise got. And the only time I ever noticed any topical breaking me out. jojoba would be amongst the first oils I tried, along with cosmetic grade almond & camelia.

I bought Napa Valley Naturals Grapeseed Oil 4 days ago. I've been using it at night as an oil cleanse after my normal cleanse, and also in the morning mixed with moisturizer.

Too soon to say anything yet, but I was able to extract (with a metal extraction tool) 3 of my really old clogged pores. May be a coincidence, but it left me hopeful.

Have you done any research on GLA? The more I read about linoleic acid and skin, the more I keep running into this bit of info: some people genetically lack the delta-6-desaturase enzyme which converts linoleic acid to the more beneficial anti-inflammatory GLA. The enzyme also decreases with age in people who do have it.

I found this graphic pretty helpful:

OmegaConversions.gif

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/13/2013 6:01 pm

I bought Napa Valley Naturals Grapeseed Oil 4 days ago. I've been using it at night as an oil cleanse after my normal cleanse, and also in the morning mixed with moisturizer.

Too soon to say anything yet, but I was able to extract (with a metal extraction tool) 3 of my really old clogged pores. May be a coincidence, but it left me hopeful.

Have you done any research on GLA? The more I read about linoleic acid and skin, the more I keep running into this bit of info: some people genetically lack the delta-6-desaturase enzyme which converts linoleic acid to the more beneficial anti-inflammatory GLA. The enzyme also decreases with age in people who do have it.

Yes. I used to take Borage Oil. But I don't recall many details about it that made me decide to take it, other than that it's anti-inflammatory, It's in the oral Allerderm capsules for cats & dogs. You can see the ingredients in my first post. I couldn't find ingredient lists for the topical. I shall try to find time to study your graphic.

Good Luck with the topical grapeseed. Tip: I apply very thinly by doing it with wet fingers/hands or to a wet face.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/09/2013 5:56 pm

This is about graying hair, but I'm pretty sure we've discussed this enzyme somewhere in this thread about skin function.(NaturalNews) Days ago it was announced that European researchers had discovered a breakthrough cure for grey and thinning hair: A topical application of a sun-activated compound called PC-KUS (a modified pseudocatalase). However, the researchers may be a few hundred years late with their discovery since onion juice has been used as a remedy for thin and greying hair for ages.

What the researchers found was that grey hair is primarily caused by a buildup of hydrogen peroxide at the root of hair follicles and that this was due in great part to a reduction in the natural antioxidant compound catalase. In addition to helping cleanse the scalp and follicles, onion juice also promotes the production of catalase. Catalase prevents grey hair as well as promoted thicker hair follicles.

The researchers "new" breakthrough appears to be the rediscovery of a remedy for grey hair and baldness that herbalists have known for centuries: Onion juice. Hundreds of years ago, famed herbalist John Gerard (1545- 1612) wrote: "the juyce of onions annointed upon a bald head in the sun bringeth the hair againe very speedily." Today, many herbalists recommend onion juice either singly or in combination with other natural items as a remedy for grey and thinning hair.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/11/2013 11:45 pm

Just to update, I've been using the Napa Valley Naturals grapeseed oil fairly consistently. I keep it refrigerated. No bad effects from it. It hasn't really loosened up any clogged pores, besides those first three, like I was hoping though.

Maybe it would work if I "cleansed" with it instead of using it as a topical. But I don't have the patience at the moment to do the whole massaging in for 10 minutes (that is a LONG time to massage your own face!!) and steaming thing again.