Notifications
Clear all

Examples Of Just How Incredibly Bad The Average Diet Is These Days.

MemberMember
(@bobbi364)

Posted : 07/02/2012 2:49 pm

aspartame is bad because of how acidic it is, just like acidic foods are bad

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2013 11:04 am

In Bill Maher's New Rules last week, he ranted about the uproar over the horse meat occurring so soon after Californians voted that they didn't need genetically modified food labeled. Didn't need to know. And so, he said, if they don't care what's in the food why don't we get rid of the nutrition labels and just identify food as:

"Sugary Shit, Salty Shit. and Cool Ranch Shit with extra Shit."

I think that's an excellent description of the average diet. Although perhaps we need to add oily fried shit and potaoey shit. And shit in tender or nugget form or on a stick.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:02 pm

cola, caffeine, refined sugar, junk food are liver stressors and that is what most kids have everyday

Yep. I'm convinced this is why we're seeing more and more children develop chronic illness and cancer. Because the typical child's diet is so incredibly toxic to the body

Yep. Ironically though, a lot of people I know judge health by how they look "i.e. look healthy, good skin weight etc" yet a lot of these "healthy" looking people get problems.

In Bill Maher's New Rules last week, he ranted about the uproar over the horse meat occurring so soon after Californians voted that they didn't need genetically modified food labeled. Didn't need to know. And so, he said, if they don't care what's in the food why don't we get rid of the nutrition labels and just identify food as:

I think that's an excellent description of the average diet. Although perhaps we need to add oily fried shit and potaoey shit. And shit in tender or nugget form or on a stick.

haha very true! I wonder how the standard american diet stacks up with a Europeanesque diet?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/11/2013 9:27 am

But then, those are the things you dip into the Cool Ranch shit.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/12/2013 11:16 am

I got this from a PCOS related newsletter:

http://www.ovarian-c...ws112.html#sec2

Is PCOS Becoming a Worldwide Epidemic?

New evidence is suggesting that polycystic ovary syndrome is not confined to the "rich", highly industrialized, Western countries.

Chronic disorders such as diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and polycystic ovary syndrome appear to be advancing in those countries that are becoming increasingly "Westernized", i.e., eating a Western diet and adopting a more sedentary Western lifestyle.

The incidence of these diseases appears to be increasing dramatically in India and China.

In the case of India, it is not yet clear to us whether the genetic profile of Asian Indians predisposes them to PCOS when they consume a Western diet of refined, processed foods. In other words, we're not sure that Asian Indians are a high-risk group.

However, we have been getting informal reports from India to suggest the PCOS is becoming a big problem in that country.

Regardless of your country of origin or which country you live in, your diet, your lifestyle and your environment have a great influence on whether you develop symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

For example, Mexican women have a rate of PCOS that is roughly similar to other ethnic groups or countries. However, Mexican-American women have twice the rate of PCOS as compared to Mexican women. This illustrates that individuals within the same ethnic group have different rates of PCOS, depending on where they live and what they eat and do.

Sources: Allahbadia GN et al, Polycystic ovary syndrome in the Indian Subcontinent, Semin Reprod Med. 2008 Jan;26(1):22-34

Moran C et al, Prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome and related disorders in mexican women, Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2010;69(4):274-80

Click on the link to the PCOS newsletter and scroll down to see another article about the affects of smoking on free testosterone and insulin resistance.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/19/2013 11:09 pm

Yeah. And I can't convince my mother who has had 3 strokes in a little over a year despite not having any of the usual risk factors, that she doesn't eat as well as she thinks she does. She keeps saying she eats a lot of vegetables. And no she doesn't. Except on the days they make something like broccoli or cabbage soup for lunch, she has about a tablespoon of overcooked veggies at dinner. And what amounts to one to one and a half servings of fruit at breakfast.

And she eats a lot of processed foods never reading the labels as they buy the cheapest crap possible. Half her recipes involve crap-filled campbell's or store brand equivalent soup or the cheapest jar of alfredo sauce she can buy. The label on the jar of peanut butter she buys and eats a lot of goes something like: Peanuts, sugar, partially hydrogenated whatever fat, dextrose, HFCS, and various chemicals.

And of course, all animal products are the cheapest money can buy. Despite having local bison and elk producers.

And she's a cokaholic but believes the one or two per day she's cut back to in recent years is 'moderation.'

I don't even bother getting into avoiding plastics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crap in processed foods.

Labels on things should only have a couple of ingredients and they should all be food, herbs, spices, oil (and not hydrogenated).

For example a nut butter label should say nuts, oil, salt.

A jarred tomato pasta sauce should say something like tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, oil, spices.

Same thing with my mom and arthritis. Father suffers from high cholesterol and is probably diabetic and doesn't know it. It's getting to that point where it's becoming debilitating for my parents and is no longer just a minor inconvenience. I'm trying to plant those seeds of "live healthier = no arthritis/bad cholesterol ratio." They're submitting to it gradually but it's like pulling teeth every step of the way.

Cholesterol isn't the bad guy it's inflammation. http://www.naturalnews.com/036258_cholesterol_brain_repair_Alzheimers.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/037105_cholesterol_myth_heart_health_diet.html

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 03/20/2013 3:42 am

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to constantly hear people discussing their cholesterol levels. And i'm frustrated at the medical industry for using the cholesterol myth to scare people into buying their drugs like lipitor. If these people only knew that cholesterol is an anti-oxidant that every cell in our body is capable of producing...

So these people eat like shit, have shit running through their arteries thus damaging them, and here comes our friend and healer cholesterol to repair the damage, and people start freaking out. If we cut back on all the horrible vegetable oils and other toxic foods we eat that cause the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol carrying protein...then these people wouldn't have these issues of blocked arteries. And yet in the medical field, eating raw foods as a way to help restore arterial function gets laughed at. It's a disease in their minds. Not a result of a shitty diet and lifestyle

It'd be like if i jumped off a three story building, broke both my legs, had to have them removed...and told people that i was a victim of a disease. Yeah. The disease called being an idiot and engaging in harmful activities

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/20/2013 7:27 am

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to constantly hear people discussing their cholesterol levels. And i'm frustrated at the medical industry for using the cholesterol myth to scare people into buying their drugs like lipitor. If these people only knew that cholesterol is an anti-oxidant that every cell in our body is capable of producing...

So these people eat like shit, have shit running through their arteries thus damaging them, and here comes our friend and healer cholesterol to repair the damage, and people start freaking out. If we cut back on all the horrible vegetable oils and other toxic foods we eat that cause the oxidation of the LDL cholesterol carrying protein...then these people wouldn't have these issues of blocked arteries. And yet in the medical field, eating raw foods as a way to help restore arterial function gets laughed at. It's a disease in their minds. Not a result of a shitty diet and lifestyle

It'd be like if i jumped off a three story building, broke both my legs, had to have them removed...and told people that i was a victim of a disease. Yeah. The disease called being an idiot and engaging in harmful activities

Especially since there's only one kind of cholesterol and it isn't bad. And did you know there are more kinds of the lipoproteins that cart cholesterol around than the few they measure and call 'good'. and 'bad?' They just can't measure them so they can't be concerned or drug you for them.

New research claims sugar is responsible for 1 out of every 100 deaths

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-drinks-fact-sheet/

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/20/2013 8:11 am

Yeah. And I can't convince my mother who has had 3 strokes in a little over a year despite not having any of the usual risk factors, that she doesn't eat as well as she thinks she does. She keeps saying she eats a lot of vegetables. And no she doesn't. Except on the days they make something like broccoli or cabbage soup for lunch, she has about a tablespoon of overcooked veggies at dinner. And what amounts to one to one and a half servings of fruit at breakfast.

Eating well is a big part of heart health , the other is exercise it's huge even just walking once per day is beneficial some people are so

overweight that they can't do much exercise , but everyone can walk . It's like having dirty oil in your car your car will run but the engine

will deteriorate and clog up , you are what you eat. And yes refined sugar is super bad I tend to avoid it. My dad is turning 87 this year

and he is in great shape he has been a herbalist his

whole life , when he was young he smoked and drank but as he got older he got smarter he always kept a good home made diet

and drank lots of herbal teas , ate lots of garlic and kept active even now he still doesn't use a cane and walks each day.

One of the things he takes everyday is a herbal mixture that is incredible for the circulation and heart , it's called Strauss heart drops.

A mixture of seven herbs that has amazing health benefits not just for the heart but is a anti-cancer mixture as well due to garlic etc...

I would highly recommend this tincture for your mother , here is the link . https://straussheartdrops.com/ , the future of medicine

lies in nutrition and exercise and not in toxic drugs. (=

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/04/2013 1:23 pm

Good Article: 'What are we Eating?'

http://www.nationofchange.org/what-are-we-eating-1365088476

The Simple Numbers:

The average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996.3 lbs. of food per year. The average man is 59 and weighs 190 lbs. The average woman is 54 and weighs 164 lbs.

Each year, Americans eat 85.5 lbs. of fats and oils. They eat 110 lbs. of red meat, including 62.4 lbs. of beef and 46.5 lbs. of pork. Americans eat 73.6 lbs. of poultry, including 60.4 lbs. of chicken. They eat 16.1 lbs. of fish and shellfish and 32.7 lbs. of eggs.

Americans eat a whopping 35 lbs. of mercury tainted and neurotoxic HFCS linked to obesity, diabetes, and pancreatic cancer each year. Thats in addition to the already excessive 47 lbs. of table sugar they eat which has recently been sourced primarily from GMO sugar beets that have outcompeted the healthier and more environmentally friendly cane sugar industry.

Americans eat 31.4 lbs. of cheese each year and 600.5 lbs. of non-cheese dairy products. They drink 181 lbs. of beverage milks. Americans eat 192.3 lbs. of flour and cereal products, including 134.1 lbs. of wheat flour. They eat 141.6 lbs. of caloric sweeteners, including 42 lbs. of corn syrup. Americans consume 56 lbs. of (mostly GMO) corn each year and eat 415.4 lbs. of vegetables. Every year, Americans eat 24 lbs. of coffee, cocoa and nuts. Americans eat 273.2 lbs. of fruit each year.

These foods include 29 lbs. of French fries, 23 lbs. of pizza and 24 lbs. of ice cream. Americans drink 53 gallons of soda each year, averaging about one gallon each week. Americans eat 24 lbs. of artificial sweeteners each year. They eat 2.736 lbs. of sodium, which is 47 percent more than recommended. Americans consume 0.2 lbs. of caffeine each year, about 90,700 mg. In total, Americans eat an average of 2,700 calories each day although the USDA recommends no more than 2,000.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:44 am

^

Gross

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/21/2013 4:47 pm

Study in which they measure all the bad postprandial affects of eating a hamburger and compared to effects of eating a hamburger with some avocado. The vasoconstriction, inflammatory responses, etc were greatly reduced. This is why you eat a lot of real foods. Especially plant foods that aren't mashed or fried potatoes or grains. The good counters/provides the nutrients needed to manage/helps recover from the bad.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/hass-avocado-modulates-postprandial-vascular-reactivity-and-postprandial

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/avocado-fat-so-good-it-makes-hamburger-less-bad

MemberMember
(@janetjoseph67)

Posted : 06/03/2013 8:01 am

You can completely avoid processed sugar if you avoid having processed foods and snacks; it is as simple as that. Also, try increasing your intake of proteins and fibres by eating grilled, roasted and baked foods. I know processed foods are easily available and one cant always make time for cooking, but if you really want to remain in good health, you have to take out the time.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/03/2013 7:21 pm

Somewhere around Asheville, North Carolina would be good for that. In fact there are already a lot of communes and intentional living communities there. It's a pretty awakened area in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I've spent some time browsing for one of those, but most of those are going to be too new-agey for me. Braddock, on the other hand, is a town that once had 50,000 people and now has like 5,000. It obviously needs to do a lot of adapting. It has tons of cheap real estate to repurpose. They are trying to attract artists to the cheap real estate and I have several ideas to cater to them.

One of the ideas I have is to buy one of those old town department stores and turn it into a marketplace for both food and arts and crafts. Because Braddock doesn't have a grocery store which I gather is getting to be a common problem in small towns. And I would have a resale shop with the usual housewares and clothes, but also with things I fixed up/made over. And with things artists might use in their mixed media work. There's a resale shop here in Houston that caters to artists, but I was disappointed in it. It was mostly garbage. I have cooler things in my garage, like some vintage wallpaper and upholstery and lamp parts. And they were making 'beach glass' in a rock polisher to sell for rather a lot of money, but they were using thin plate glass. I would collect thick jars and bottles for it.

And then I'd do special projects for the town to say enhance education, beautify the town, make it more walkable, a better gathering place etc. Because apparently I know one thing few people seem to know. How much better and more upscale and cared for places look with trees. I see so many shopping centers, parking lots, streets and whole towns that would look so much better and less rundown with trees. If it were up to me, everything ugly would have to have trees and other vegetation shielding it. and I would of course make most of those fruit, nut and wildlife supporting trees, shrubs and vines.

Ironically, the small town where my mother lives has an empty department store building for sale just like I had in mind, with second story space for loft apartments which I have ideas for as well. But it's a thriving town so the building isn't as cheap as I'd want. They have pretty much all they need, including a health food/coop. Plus it's way too far north. And there's a desperately rundown town here on the coast with a really cool town center with a big Mexican style plaza, pretty much all abandoned while restaurants and other businesses open up scattered on the various highways all around.

There is a website/blog I subscribe to about saving Rural America but they are based in Nebraska and are focused on the Midwest. I either want to go east or to California or maybe New Mexico. But that's what I'd like to do. We need to stop moving to mega cities and stay in smaller cities and towns where it's more possible to supply local quality food.

You know the show, the Fabulous Beakman Boys, or something like that? Apparently that's what they've been doing. They bought this big estate in some dying town and began finding ways to keep it alive. I don't know all that much about it and the show, like all reality shows, focuses on them being stupid. But apparently they raise goats and sell the milk to a local who makes goat milk soaps sold online/mail order and her business employs a couple people and keeps the post office going which employs a couple people and so on. I'd like to do something like that although I'd like the results to be more valuable then more goat milk soap in the world. I'd like them to mean better food, less pollution, less wasted energy, less garbage, etc.

Ooh. That reminds me of an example of what might be one of my 'special projects'. Half the small towns around where my mom lives are all on dammed rivers with hydro-electric power plants that they no longer use. Once the town got too big or the people got too used to wasting tons of electricity, they all started buying it from some big, probably coal-fired plant producer instead. But why? If we can put solar panels on our roof and plug into the grid and sell back excess energy produced, why can't the town plug their hydro-electric dam into the grid?

I also wouldn't mind doing this somewhere in Central America. Ironically, I used to be married to a Honduran and Honduras has a lot of potential as an underpopulated country. And now that we are divorced, my ex-husband is getting involved in things like this. But as someone who is pretty much only interested in technology, he isn't as useful at it as I would be.

There is a small town in California called Raymond. It's in the foothills and has a population of 1,119.

MemberMember
(@stellamarch16)

Posted : 06/05/2013 7:15 am

You are absolutely right, which is why I make sure that I avoid sugar in any form in my diet. I know that processed foods have a lot of hidden sugar and starch, which is why the first things to avoid are processed foods.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:52 pm

Somewhere around Asheville, North Carolina would be good for that. In fact there are already a lot of communes and intentional living communities there. It's a pretty awakened area in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I've spent some time browsing for one of those, but most of those are going to be too new-agey for me. Braddock, on the other hand, is a town that once had 50,000 people and now has like 5,000. It obviously needs to do a lot of adapting. It has tons of cheap real estate to repurpose. They are trying to attract artists to the cheap real estate and I have several ideas to cater to them.

One of the ideas I have is to buy one of those old town department stores and turn it into a marketplace for both food and arts and crafts. Because Braddock doesn't have a grocery store which I gather is getting to be a common problem in small towns. And I would have a resale shop with the usual housewares and clothes, but also with things I fixed up/made over. And with things artists might use in their mixed media work. There's a resale shop here in Houston that caters to artists, but I was disappointed in it. It was mostly garbage. I have cooler things in my garage, like some vintage wallpaper and upholstery and lamp parts. And they were making 'beach glass' in a rock polisher to sell for rather a lot of money, but they were using thin plate glass. I would collect thick jars and bottles for it.

And then I'd do special projects for the town to say enhance education, beautify the town, make it more walkable, a better gathering place etc. Because apparently I know one thing few people seem to know. How much better and more upscale and cared for places look with trees. I see so many shopping centers, parking lots, streets and whole towns that would look so much better and less rundown with trees. If it were up to me, everything ugly would have to have trees and other vegetation shielding it. and I would of course make most of those fruit, nut and wildlife supporting trees, shrubs and vines.

Ironically, the small town where my mother lives has an empty department store building for sale just like I had in mind, with second story space for loft apartments which I have ideas for as well. But it's a thriving town so the building isn't as cheap as I'd want. They have pretty much all they need, including a health food/coop. Plus it's way too far north. And there's a desperately rundown town here on the coast with a really cool town center with a big Mexican style plaza, pretty much all abandoned while restaurants and other businesses open up scattered on the various highways all around. But I don't want to stay in this area.

There is a website/blog I subscribe to about saving Rural America but they are based in Nebraska and are focused on the Midwest. I either want to go east or to California or maybe New Mexico. But that's what I'd like to do. We need to stop moving to mega cities and stay in smaller cities and towns where it's more possible to supply local quality food.

You know the show, the Fabulous Beakman Boys, or something like that? Apparently that's what they've been doing. They bought this big estate in some dying town and began finding ways to keep it alive. I don't know all that much about it and the show, like all reality shows, focuses on them being stupid. But apparently they raise goats and sell the milk to a local who makes goat milk soaps sold online/mail order and her business employs a couple people and keeps the post office going which employs a couple people and so on. I'd like to do something like that although I'd like the results to be more valuable then more goat milk soap in the world. I'd like them to mean better food, less pollution, less wasted energy, less garbage, etc.

Ooh. That reminds me of an example of what might be one of my 'special projects'. Half the small towns around where my mom lives are all on dammed rivers with hydro-electric power plants that they no longer use. Once the town got too big or the people got too used to wasting tons of electricity, they all started buying it from some big, probably coal-fired plant producer instead. But why? If we can put solar panels on our roof and plug into the grid and sell back excess energy produced, why can't the town plug their hydro-electric dam into the grid?

I also wouldn't mind doing this somewhere in Central America. Ironically, I used to be married to a Honduran and Honduras has a lot of potential as an underpopulated country. And now that we are divorced, my ex-husband is getting involved in things like this. But as someone who is pretty much only interested in technology, he isn't as useful at it as I would be.

There is a small town in California called Raymond. It's in the foothills and has a population of 1,119.

Thanks. I've found another town near Sacramento. An historic hotel there was renovated on an episode of Hotel Impossible. And after the renovation, the hotel even advertised for an event planner. Not that I'm an event planner, but I could do it. But I've pretty much decided I want to go east. Tennessee, N Carolina, Virginia, etc. I want to explore the East Coast. Besides, I don't want to live amongst forest fires. Although I do want to start exploring the west before it burns up.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/02/2013 3:30 pm

New documentary out called Fast Food Baby. See Mercola article about the health issues associated with today's diet. Now a days conditions that used to be unheard of in children are common. Extremely common. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/08/02/squat-acceleration-training.aspx?e_cid=20130802_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130802

The article cites this study saying children's tastes are set by age three. The abstract of the study doesn't mention that age, though. I'd like to know. I'm contemplating starting a business making toddler food which I have ideas for. Babies go from eating mashed vegetables (that people for some reason pay high prices to buy in jars rather than mashing the family dinner themselves) to hot dogs, chicken tenders and macaroni and cheese. And happy meals. No veggies. Why?

Anyone have access to the full articles on PubMed?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/03/2013 6:55 pm

New documentary out called Fast Food Baby. See Mercola article about the health issues associated with today's diet. Now a days conditions that used to be unheard of in children are common. Extremely common. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/08/02/squat-acceleration-training.aspx?e_cid=20130802_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130802

lol alternativista is this the link you meant to post? It's taking me to an article describing proper squat form. I'm really interested in that documentary and article though. Not surprised at all that kids are getting more and more screwed by what we are feeding them

I was just talking to a lady at the store today who knows a man with around a thousand head of cattle. He injects them with steroids and feeds them liquified fat. And they are likely cooped up and living in shitty conditions. And...we wonder why things are happening to us. And at younger and younger ages.

There are more and more childhood cancers showing up as well. And i've seen an alarming number of small children lately with down syndrome. All this corruption in the food industry may not be taking as much of a toll on the older generation, but it's showing it's true destructive power in the younger generation which are still growing and developing

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/04/2013 12:57 am

lol alternativista is this the link you meant to post? It's taking me to an article describing proper squat form. I'm really interested in that documentary and article though. Not surprised at all that kids are getting more and more screwed by what we are feeding them

I was just talking to a lady at the store today who knows a man with around a thousand head of cattle. He injects them with steroids and feeds them liquified fat. And they are likely cooped up and living in shitty conditions. And...we wonder why things are happening to us. And at younger and younger ages.

There are more and more childhood cancers showing up as well. And i've seen an alarming number of small children lately with down syndrome. All this corruption in the food industry may not be taking as much of a toll on the older generation, but it's showing it's true destructive power in the younger generation which are still growing and developing

yeah,i dont think this is the link u meant ;P

its a shame ,really.

but i still feel situation here in my country is more or less better.since after 6 months or so(except for cases where the mum has some problem and cant feed even till 6 months) the baby is given home made light, mashed food which includes rice,milk,chapati,lots of veggies and fish.sometimes chicken liver.

also,fruits juices and stuff like pediasure,horlicks(junior) comes into picture a lil' later.

am not sure if u r including these baby products too?

all this is time consuming.so with both mums and dads at work and busy all day people get ready-made stuff which is obviously bad for the child(and actually not great for adults too).

i'm interested in the link as well.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/04/2013 1:07 pm

It was a different article from Mercola that day. Curiously, it isn't listed amongst theirrecent articles. Just google Fast Food Baby. It's a British documentary.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/13/2013 2:43 pm

You guys should read the new National Geographic article on the history of sugar, the slave trade, and our health. Turns out it has a long history of evil, going back to before it became plentiful and cheap enough to be a staple in everyone's diet. And the main ingredient in so many 'foods.'

Synopsis and link here: http://dietforclearskin.blogspot.com/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/18/2013 12:24 pm

Prepared foods are filled with sugar, even foods you don't consider to be sweet. And some people buy believing them to be healthier choices. See the vitamin water.

he following nine foods all have more sugar than a Krispy Kreme doughnut (which, for comparison, contains 10 grams of sugar):

1. Luna bar: 11 grams of sugar
  2. Grande Starbucks latte: 17 grams
  3. Subway 6" sweet onion teriyaki chicken sandwich: 17 grams
  4. Tropicana orange juice, 8 ounces: 22 grams
  5. Yoplait original yogurt: 27 grams (other common flavored yogurts are just as bad)
  6. Vitamin Water, 20 ounces: 33 grams
  7. Sprinkles red velvet cupcake: 45 grams
  8. California Pizza Kitchen Thai chicken salad: 45 grams
  9. Odwalla superfood smoothie, 12 ounces: 50 grams

Added Sugars Represent 17 Percent of the Average US Diet

but when all forms of sugars are included, the data suggests that sugar makes up 38 percent of the typical US diet.

Among added sugars, 43 percent come from sweetened beverages, which is concerning since it's now known that calories in liquid form are processed differently by your body than those consumed in solid form. The report noted:2

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/21/2014 11:33 am

11 charts showing how our diets have changed for the worse over the recent decades: Sugar consumption, bad fats, modern wheat, etc

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/24/modern-diet.aspx?e_cid=20140220Z1B_DNL_artTest_A5&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=artTest_A5&utm_campaign=20140220Z1B&et_cid=DM40892&et_rid=432792765

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/22/2014 11:29 am

People who say they eat a "healthy" diet and that their acne is just because of some crappy genetic card they were dealt are really annoying to me on a deeply visceral level. If they can't be bothered to figure out what the problem is, they should go take Accutane and stop raining on everyone's parade. I also hate the "it's too expensive" excuse. Tally up how much people spend on topicals and dermatologists, and I think they'll find a chunk of money they can put toward organic vegetables and non-cafo meats, KTHXBYE.

I used to spend SO MUCH MONEY on topicals OH MY GOD. Now I spend it on juicing vegetables and cute underwear.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/24/2014 9:21 am

This article is about rickets in children can make it look like the child is suffering from child abuse due to damaged bones. Rickets is caused be a severe vitamin d deficiency, and in these cases, its the mothers deficiency. It doesn't have numbers so don't know how widespread. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/16/infantile-rickets.aspx

But the interesting thing mentioned in the article is that vitamin D is needed for muscle strength and a deficiency can lead to acid reflux, constipation and more. Also, avoid calcium carbonat supplements & antacids like Tums.

"Another important point is that acid reflux is actually a sign of vitamin D deficiency. Your upper GI tract, from your pharynx to the lower third of your esophagus, is skeletal muscle. Vitamin D is important for muscle strength. The medical literature Dr. Ayoub reviewed revealed that dyspepsia, bloating, constipation, and reflux symptoms are all quite common among those with vitamin D deficiency because of reduced esophageal motility and sphincter dysfunction."