Notifications
Clear all

They Refused To Test For Food Allergies After I Mentioned Acne

MemberMember
(@hopej1245)

Posted : 12/29/2011 3:27 pm

I called to get tested for food allergies. I believe that might be a reason for my cystic acne since nothing else worked. Everything was going well on the phone until I mentioned cystic acne. The lady told me she would have to talk to the doctor and then call me back. She called back and asked if I've been to a dermatologist and I told her yes i've been to many. She said that I would have to get a referral from a dermatologist saying they believe it might be food related and that's the only way they will see me.

I don't want to pay to see another derm that might or might not agree and this is the only place I've found around. Can they do this? What should I do? I know now I shouldn't have mentioned the word acne.

MemberMember
(@steven-m-jacobson)

Posted : 12/29/2011 3:46 pm

I called to get tested for food allergies. I believe that might be a reason for my cystic acne since nothing else worked. Everything was going well on the phone until I mentioned cystic acne. The lady told me she would have to talk to the doctor and then call me back. She called back and asked if I've been to a dermatologist and I told her yes i've been to many. She said that I would have to get a referral from a dermatologist saying they believe it might be food related and that's the only way they will see me.

I don't want to pay to see another derm that might or might not agree and this is the only place I've found around. Can they do this? What should I do? I know now I shouldn't have mentioned the word acne.

they probably just dont want to mess with anything your derms have you on or anything. we all know that many docs out there say food has nothing to do with acne. I think most of them know that if it did cause acne, it wouldnt be the only symptom, there would be other issues going on as well, not just acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/29/2011 4:25 pm

Have you tried methodically avoiding foods one by one starting with the most commonly problematic like wheat/gluten, dairy, peanuts, soy, eggs, citrus?

And yeah, it's very often difficult to get tested for the kinds of allergies that cause acne, headache, fatigue etc. All kinds of mystery ailments people never get help for. Try this thread for more info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/200416-what-i-found-about-ige-vs-igg-food-allergies/

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 12/29/2011 6:55 pm

egg

Have you tried methodically avoiding foods one by one starting with the most commonly problematic like wheat/gluten, dairy, peanuts, soy, eggs, citrus?

And yeah, it's very often difficult to get tested for the kinds of allergies that cause acne, headache, fatigue etc. All kinds of mystery ailments people never get help for. Try this thread for more info: http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 12/29/2011 7:34 pm

egg

And yeah, it's very often difficult to get tested for the kinds of allergies that cause acne, headache, fatigue etc. All kinds of mystery ailments people never get help for. Try this thread for more info: http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/

eggs cause acne?! I was just about to start eating them..

If you have an intolerance to them or get bad quality eggs, yes, they can cause acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/29/2011 7:43 pm

egg

eggs cause acne?! I was just about to start eating them..

Really? You are going to say something like that in a thread that is very clearly about food intolerances that you may or may not have?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/30/2011 12:58 pm

Doctors don't really know much about this stuff. Help yourself, stop relying on others. Forget the expensive tests. Test yourself, in the way alternavista was saying.

That's what I did. Had I waited around for doctors to help me I'd probably be dead now.

(I spent years visiting derms, spending thousands of dollars and NO help for my acne. In a year or two of working on my own health and figuring out the foods that were causing me to breakout, I now have perfect skin. Cost? ZERO dollars)

MemberMember
(@monroe444)

Posted : 09/21/2013 11:33 am

This is for dejaclairvoyant (or anyone else who wouldn't mind answering).

I know food intolerances are very much an individual thing, but I am off of so many foods - I already don't eat meat and gluten, since February I have been off all milk products and most grains, and then a few months ago I went off eggs and noticed an improvement in my skin. I also try to avoid sugar but I do eat a little in dark chocolate or a little honey, but I really limit it. The problem is even off of eggs my skin wasn't completely clear, just a lot better, and right now it's bad I think because I ate GF cookies and cake with eggs because people made them for me (but didn't realize about the eggs) and I felt rude saying I couldn't eat them.

What I'd really like to know is the entire list of what you are no longer eating to have perfect skin. I'm so tired of going around looking like a spotty teenager at my age (but with a few wrinkles!), as I'm sure you can all understand!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/21/2013 1:21 pm

You won't have the same food sensitivities as other people because everyone's body is different.

Do you have any other symptoms of food allergies besides acne....like headaches, fatigue, indigestion, gas? Maybe you could try calling them again and saying you have symptoms of a food allergy and mention other things besides acne?

By the way, I took the food allergy test, both skin and blood, and they found nothing and yet my blood tests showed high antibodies which means I was reacting to something, but they couldn't figure out what. Testing for food sensitivities is better than allergy testing, because allergy tests only detect full blown allergies, not sensitivities.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/21/2013 3:00 pm

This is for dejaclairvoyant (or anyone else who wouldn't mind answering).

I know food intolerances are very much an individual thing, but I am off of so many foods - I already don't eat meat and gluten, since February I have been off all milk products and most grains, and then a few months ago I went off eggs and noticed an improvement in my skin. I also try to avoid sugar but I do eat a little in dark chocolate or a little honey, but I really limit it. The problem is even off of eggs my skin wasn't completely clear, just a lot better, and right now it's bad I think because I ate GF cookies and cake with eggs because people made them for me (but didn't realize about the eggs) and I felt rude saying I couldn't eat them.

What I'd really like to know is the entire list of what you are no longer eating to have perfect skin. I'm so tired of going around looking like a spotty teenager at my age (but with a few wrinkles!), as I'm sure you can all understand!

Other people's lists aren't relevant to you. You have to methodically eliminate foods or groups of related foods.

What is your acne like? Do you have any digestion issues lie bloating or any discomfort?

You won't have the same food sensitivities as other people because everyone's body is different.

Do you have any other symptoms of food allergies besides acne....like headaches, fatigue, indigestion, gas? Maybe you could try calling them again and saying you have symptoms of a food allergy and mention other things besides acne?

By the way, I took the food allergy test, both skin and blood, and they found nothing and yet my blood tests showed high antibodies which means I was reacting to something, but they couldn't figure out what. Testing for food sensitivities is better than allergy testing, because allergy tests only detect full blown allergies, not sensitivities.

'They' probably don't test for anything but IgE mediated responses, which are usually not involved In acne, fatigue, asthma, headache, etc

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/21/2013 3:19 pm

I got my IgG tested as well...they found I was "reactive" but not to what. So the allergist gave me a long list of histamine-triggers to avoid, that included body lotions, perfumes, nail polish etc. I also started taking digestive enzymes and avoiding as many items on the list as possible and that helped me manage my histamine reactions.