Notifications
Clear all

What Are Your Intolerances?

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/15/2011 2:37 pm

I'm curious to hear what sorts of intolerances people on this forum have, whether they've learned through food allergy tests or discovered them from personal experience. I hear all sorts of things on H&H from members of genus prunus (stone fruit, almonds) to citrus fruit to strawberries to the obvious wheat/gluten/dairy/soy. When I was younger my best friend was allergic to chocolate (white chocolate was okay though). She's since grown out of it or become more tolerant of it or whatever. So my thinking is it'd be nice to have everything in one place rather than seeing these 'no-no' foods scattered among various posts. Allows for some comparing/contrasting about foods we avoid.

1. List foods that your body doesn't manage well, acne 'trigger' foods, or any general indigestible that gives you some side-effect.

I get Oral Allergy Syndrome(itchy throat) from almonds, walnuts, bananas, and possibly dates.

2. List foods you replace with the ones listed above.

When I get smoothies at places I ask to have the bananas replaced with blueberries usually. As for nuts I'll get cashews now and then as they don't affect my throat, plus they're a good source of fat when I take water-soluble supplements. Dates I supposed a good replacement would be fresh plums or grapes (I was never a big date fan, but I just had some rolled in walnuts that were superb....ly...itchy. :(

Let's hear about your body's offending contenders.

MemberMember
(@captainsunshine)

Posted : 11/15/2011 2:46 pm

I had an IgG food intolerance test. These were the results:

Brazil nuts, coconut, egg white, egg yolk, gluten, yeast, cows milk, garlic, hazelnut, wheat, almond, blackberry, buckwheat, carrot, cashew, cherry, chilli pepper, coriander, corn, millet, mustard seed, peanut, potato, rice and soya.

Quite extensive. Whether or not you believe in the science of IgG intolerance testing is up to the reader, but I've avoided everything they advised, and I have clear skin.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/15/2011 2:53 pm

Brazil nuts, coconut, egg white, egg yolk, gluten, yeast, cows milk, garlic, hazelnut, wheat, almond, blackberry, buckwheat, carrot, cashew, cherry, chilli pepper, coriander, corn, millet, mustard seed, peanut, potato, rice and soya.

Quite extensive. Whether or not you believe in the science of IgG intolerance testing is up to the reader, but I've avoided everything they advised, and I have clear skin.

Egad!

MemberMember
(@this-is-julie)

Posted : 11/15/2011 2:54 pm

How do you test for this intolerance?

MemberMember
(@captainsunshine)

Posted : 11/15/2011 3:01 pm

Not sure I'm allowed to say on here, might be seen as advertising. Ah hell, just google 'FoodScan 113'.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/15/2011 3:13 pm

Not sure I'm allowed to say on here, might be seen as advertising. Ah hell, just google 'FoodScan 113'.

So each food is measured on a scale of 1-4? From a small amount of blood you send in the mail? Hm. Did you just go crazy and eat as much stuff as you can so it'll be prevalent in your blood stream?

$402.52 is a lot to fork down (haha) when things like "Oily Fish Mix" are listed. What the hell is that? Anyway, it sounds like it really helped you and I can't say I'm not the teensiest (to put it modestly) bit tempted to try it myself. But I think I ought to go down a more affordable route.

MemberMember
(@captainsunshine)

Posted : 11/15/2011 3:26 pm

So each food is measured on a scale of 1-4? From a small amount of blood you send in the mail? Hm. Did you just go crazy and eat as much stuff as you can so it'll be prevalent in your blood stream?

$402.52 is a lot to fork down (haha) when things like "Oily Fish Mix" are listed. What the hell is that? Anyway, it sounds like it really helped you and I can't say I'm not the teensiest (to put it modestly) bit tempted to try it myself. But I think I ought to go down a more affordable route.

Yes, 4 being the most reactive of foods, my list above were all 3 and a half to 4. Oddly, there were some things that showed up that I hadn't knowingly eaten, like millet, coriander and mustard seeds but I suppose I must have taken them on board at some point. I was actually leading a healthy life at this point, took this test slap bang in the middle of a candida diet, so was surprised to see the wheat, gluten and yeast still floating about in there.

They were spot on about Garlic though, I was taking it to rid myself of yeasts, but always seemed to have red dots appear on my wrists. Didn't make the connection until I had these results, so that cleared up in next to no time. The cost is pretty heavy, but I was in a desperate place at that time.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/15/2011 4:04 pm

Yes, 4 being the most reactive of foods, my list above were all 3 and a half to 4. Oddly, there were some things that showed up that I hadn't knowingly eaten, like millet, coriander and mustard seeds but I suppose I must have taken them on board at some point. I was actually leading a healthy life at this point, took this test slap bang in the middle of a candida diet, so was surprised to see the wheat, gluten and yeast still floating about in there.

They were spot on about Garlic though, I was taking it to rid myself of yeasts, but always seemed to have red dots appear on my wrists. Didn't make the connection until I had these results, so that cleared up in next to no time. The cost is pretty heavy, but I was in a desperate place at that time.

Yes, the garlic surprised me as well. I'd never heard of anyone being intolerant to it. It would make sense for yeast to show up even during a candida cleanse since what you eat stays in your blood for about 2 months (ought to double-check that).

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/15/2011 6:15 pm

1. List foods that your body doesn't manage well, acne 'trigger' foods, or any general indigestible that gives you some side-effect.

ALL grains (gluten or not), soy, corn, dairy, coffee (I can handle maybe one cup once in awhile but any more than that and my system gets very acidic, I get bad smelling BO and I start breaking out in cysts), cooked tomatoes, chicken (not a severe reaction but I don't feel good after), yerba mate (I get VERY sick from this stuff, don't know why, it feels like I drank gasoline)

I don't really replace stuff.... or rather, I don't think of it that way. I eat a healthy diet composed of mostly raw foods, some cooked vegetables, a little black beans, and red meat (beef or sometimes venison if we get a deer).

MemberMember
(@iwishihadclearskin)

Posted : 11/15/2011 6:22 pm

Chocolate , Chocolate , Chocolate , actually anything thats sugary

Apples lol

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/15/2011 6:35 pm

The only thing I know for sure is I get cysts from most citrus, i.e. oranges, tangerines and key limes. No problem with lemons and persian limes. To my knowledge, I don't have any issues digesting anything except perhaps raw broccoli which makes me burp for a while after.

I did take an ordinary allergy (blood) test once which showed I was mildly allergic to a few things like cow dairy, wheat, bananas and oranges and grapefruit, egg whites, shrimp, dogs and cats, assorted grasses and weeds, dust mites, etc. It was scored on a scale from 1-5, 1 being the mildest. I had mostly ones. Twos were cow dairy, baking powder and egg white I have no idea what reactions these things cause though. Other than silent chronic inflammation, but hopefully consuming lots of anti-inflammatory foods/nutrients counter this. And these tests are prone to false positives.

I limit grains and dairy, but avoiding them completely made no detectable difference.

And of course habits involving high glycemic meals and/or lack of the nutrients, physical activity and sleep that help the body manage blood sugar cause several factors that are root causes of acne such as chronic inflammation, hyperkeratinization and messed up hormone imbalances which cause oilier skin, etc. Cutting out sodas and such, along with avoiding the food that causes cysts, easily made the biggest impact in my acne.

MemberMember
(@insearchofsmoothskin)

Posted : 11/15/2011 6:53 pm

Shrimp make me gassy and give me crater face.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/16/2011 3:26 pm

Oh my goodness, my best friend just bought me an appointment to get tested for food allergies through groupon for $65. What a great friend. :')

I just made an appointment and guess they don't have any kind of scale/spectrum for each food tested, they just tell you whether you're allergic or not. Lots of margin for error but it's a gift so I'm not sticking my head in any horse mouths.

Here's what they'll be testing me for:

http://aasclinics.com/allergens/

(the foods list, anyway)

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 11/16/2011 4:43 pm

Great idea.

Mine are: wheat, soy, dairy, refined sugar, natural sweeteners (Agave nectar etc), processed food, hot(temperature) food, too much nuts or seeds, grains, lentils, legumes, starchy vegetables, meat with antibiotics and hormones that hasn't been grass fed, and fish.

I don't really replace anything, i just eat raw fruits raw veggies and grass fed meat.

MemberMember
(@gems2889)

Posted : 11/16/2011 4:54 pm

I had an allergy test done and so far I have no allergy's but weird thing is when I eat chocolate, and pizza I break out that same week. I cant drink regular milk because it gives me a stomach ache so I drink vanilla almond milk I lurve it!!!!

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/16/2011 5:31 pm

Actually, I haven't found my intoleracnes yet, I'm just trying to avoid "acnegenic" food, that I read on this forum.

MemberMember
(@tk112233)

Posted : 11/16/2011 7:09 pm

how do you get tested for food allergies and intolerances? can't i just go for a blood test? i called quest diagnostics (where i get blood work done) and they say that they do have blood tests for food allergies. but everywhere i read, i see no one getting blood tests for allergies so im really confused

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/16/2011 9:04 pm

how do you get tested for food allergies and intolerances? can't i just go for a blood test? i called quest diagnostics (where i get blood work done) and they say that they do have blood tests for food allergies. but everywhere i read, i see no one getting blood tests for allergies so im really confused

The one captainsunshine mentioned he had used was a blood test.

MemberMember
(@throughbeingcool)

Posted : 11/16/2011 9:53 pm

This has been troublesome for me. I really can't tell if I have any trigger foods! (I mean, I assume I must because I still consistently break out). But I have no noticeable side effects from any specific food. That being said, I did get an allergy test done and it was on a 1-3 scale, one being the mildest. My ones include: corn, almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, soy, coconut, yeast (bakers), egg whites, pinto bean, mustard, garlic. My threes are: cow's milk, cheese, gluten, wheat, yogurt, rye....and I think that's it.

I stopped drinking cow's milk over a year ago and I haven't since then tried drinking a glass to see if it does anything (I couldn't bring myself to anyway) so I just always go the safe route and drink rice or hemp milk. I REALLY like hemp milk! I used to drink almond but of course I foudn out I can't anymore (didn't notice a change in my skin). I also stay away from nuts besides pistachios or pecans but I rarely eat them anymore anyway. I never eat cheese unless someone else cooked for me and didn't know or something. I use Daiya cheese and love it. If I want to bake something or make pancakes I just buy a gluten-free flour. If I really start missing bread I'll buy tapioca bread or a bread made from rice flour. I still will use small amounts of garlic in my cooking and sometimes mustard (how can you even be allergic to those?!) and instead of corn chips I buy a brand of chips that are made from black beans (super good!). Soy also gets into my diet in small amounts here and there.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/16/2011 10:18 pm

Allergies: All nuts, fish, eggs, legumes+beans+soy, chicken, turkey. Dairy makes me oily.

I don't have a choice of much to replace, so I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, veggies, and beef. I want to stay gluten free even though I am not allergic to it, so I make things with buckwheat and coconut flakes.

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 11/17/2011 2:29 pm

Corgi, I think cashews are legumes not nuts (like peanuts) that may be why you can tolerate them.

I'm still in testing phase of my intolerable foods... I don't do very good at it unless I really commit. Otherwise I just eat whatever. Oops.

However, I too have OAS so I avoid raw nuts, esp almonds and hazelnuts, and dates, apples and cherries. If those items are cooked though they are fine. Macadamias actually seem to be OK raw. I'm actually not a big nut fan anyway.

I am starting to think that coffee bothers me... just avoided it for a week and am having a cup right now. Let's see how that goes.

Grains and soy definitely make me feel sick. Corn not too bad though.

Sugar and carbs and maybe fiber. I am really sensitive to them it seems. I have to have ample fat and protein with every meal and feel jittery if I don't. Unless it's right after a workout, I keep them minimal. If I do "gorge" on them, my skin gets noticeably oilier and like I said, I feel jittery. Even eating a big salad, if there's not a big slab of meat with fat, my stomach will feel lousy too.

Dairy is probably not good for me, but I refuse to accept it :( I love cream and butter and cheese darnit. Milk I can live without... but not cream and butter! Nooo. I have to do a serious elimination of ALL dairy, then add stuff back in one at a time.

As for substitutions, if it were a case like I wanted coffee with some cream, I'd just use nothing or maybe some coconut milk. I don't really sub anything, I just avoid it and eat more of what I do like.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/17/2011 2:49 pm

Corgi, I think cashews are legumes not nuts (like peanuts) that may be why you can tolerate them.

I'm still in testing phase of my intolerable foods... I don't do very good at it unless I really commit. Otherwise I just eat whatever. Oops.

However, I too have OAS so I avoid raw nuts, esp almonds and hazelnuts, and dates, apples and cherries. If those items are cooked though they are fine. Macadamias actually seem to be OK raw. I'm actually not a big nut fan anyway.

I am starting to think that coffee bothers me... just avoided it for a week and am having a cup right now. Let's see how that goes.

Grains and soy definitely make me feel sick. Corn not too bad though.

Sugar and carbs and maybe fiber. I am really sensitive to them it seems. I have to have ample fat and protein with every meal and feel jittery if I don't. Unless it's right after a workout, I keep them minimal. If I do "gorge" on them, my skin gets noticeably oilier and like I said, I feel jittery. Even eating a big salad, if there's not a big slab of meat with fat, my stomach will feel lousy too.

Dairy is probably not good for me, but I refuse to accept it sad.png I love cream and butter and cheese darnit. Milk I can live without... but not cream and butter! Nooo. I have to do a serious elimination of ALL dairy, then add stuff back in one at a time.

As for substitutions, if it were a case like I wanted coffee with some cream, I'd just use nothing or maybe some coconut milk. I don't really sub anything, I just avoid it and eat more of what I do like.

How funny, I was just looking up sources of 'good fat' so that I'll have more options than nuts and avocados to eat with supplements/fruit. Looks like my other options, according to these sites, are things like 'vegetable spread' or 'canola oil'. Coconut and animal fats, of course, are bad.

I actually have a pot of soup with lamb/chicken broth, some veggies, and goat butter so I'm golden on fats atm. I usually just don't have meat on hand until dinnertime. Cashews are legumes, eh? They're probably not very good for me then (I don't soak mine either, probably should start doing that...) but I like something crunchy and bland yet with some flavor every so often and I'm not about to pick up some crackers or bread for toast. My veggie pulp pizza crust with soaked flax meal has been treating me well but unless i'm making a pizza it's not good for snacking on its own.

MemberMember
(@moonbase)

Posted : 11/17/2011 3:23 pm

I'm intolerant to clowns, and ignorance

MemberMember
(@this-is-julie)

Posted : 11/17/2011 3:57 pm

Chocolate , Chocolate , Chocolate , actually anything thats sugary

Apples lol

just wondering about this

aren't apples full of sugar?

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 11/17/2011 3:58 pm

'vegetable spread' or 'canola oil'

Not sure if I'm intolerant to those, but I am grossed out by them! Srsly... even when I was a kid margarine scared me. Plus I'm always trying to share recipes with people and I'm like "Lard, lots and lots of butter and lard and cream." That's all my recipes : ) Then their response is usually "Aww you skinny little thing you can get away with it now, but you should switch to a healthy oil, like soybean!" Barrrf.

Nuts aren't necessarily bad, they just don't sit well with me if I have too much/too often. Although with the exception of macas, most nuts are very high in omega 6 or just have a bad 3-6 ratio, plus they also contain high levels of phytates if not properly soaked. Mark Sisson did a great post about them (and a great one on oils too).

p.s. your soup sounds yummy and we should swap pizza crust recipes biggrin.png

Forgot to ask, where do you get goat butter?