Notifications
Clear all

Dried Fruit

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 10/04/2011 7:15 pm

hi, Ive cleaned up my diet a lot by cutting out refined sugar and lots of junk, but when I really want something sweet I have been eating dried fruit especially banana chips(organic ones) and either dehydrated or freeze dried apples and berries. I add them to oatmeal or yougurt or sometimes just plain. anybody know if this is healthy or not, it doesnt seem to effect my acne at all.

A

MemberMember
(@vinchenzo)

Posted : 10/04/2011 7:27 pm

Well dried fruit seems to contain more sugar then regular fruit. I used to add frozen berries to my oatmeal until I decided to cut out gluten and then oatmeal from my diet. I would just say that you could try to buy some organic frozen berries just because berries can contain too many pesticides.

MemberMember
(@reality)

Posted : 10/04/2011 7:51 pm

Dried fruit is just sugarno vitamins...just sugar. I think your better off with eating fresh fruit.

MemberMember
(@marissa8161)

Posted : 10/04/2011 9:02 pm

Dried fruit is just sugar¦no vitamins...just sugar. I think your better off with eating fresh fruit.

Not true! Dried fruit (just plain dried fruit, no sugar or additives) is nutritionally exactly the same as its fresh fruit counterparts. The only difference is that the dried fruit has had the water removed, so it is a concentrated version of the fresh fruit. This is why dried fruit has more sugar for a small serving size. Its the same sugar that would be in a normal piece of fruit, but because all the water has been sucked out its a much smaller portion!

I love dried fruit, especially pineapple and mango. Perfectly healthy in moderation, just like anything. :)

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 10/12/2011 8:53 am

looks like the answer is , just eat smaller amounts of it? I can deal with that.

MemberMember
(@olympusmons)

Posted : 10/13/2011 9:05 am

Yes, that is the answer. However, you won't even notice you're eating smaller amounts. You will just get full sooner, as you eat dried fruit.

Dried fruit is an excellent health food. It contains as much nutrients as fresh fruit, you can buy a bulk of some really good quality dried fruit and have a good quality source of fruit for the whole year, it's also very practical to bring to work, street, etc.

But it's also true that dried fruit contains a lot of sugar, so you should eat it always with something that has fat (oils, nuts, avocados, etc) so that your blood sugar levels won't fluctuate too much. Unless you eat it very slowly through the day.

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/18/2013 2:18 pm

So then how would you explain some dried fruit being higher in sugar content? Do fruits all vary in sugar? I believe NOT all labels tell you what you should be putting in your body! At Trader Joes there is "Dried Mangos" with the only listed ingredient being "Dried Mangos" which has a whopping sugar content of 20grams. I went to New Leaf a local community market where I live, and in the bulk section there was "Organic Dried Mangos" with a sugar content of 6grams. So it is that we must all do a research behind the foods, and how exactly they are processed, and look BEYOND the label.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:14 pm

If it doesn't affect your acne, then you are probably not sensitive to dry fruit. But they do have a high sugar content. It's better to eat fresh fruit. However, I usually eat a Kind bar if I have low energy, which has dried fruit, and it doesn't seem to affect my skin. Lower amounts is ok for most people. If you notice that you get bloated and/or gassy after having dried fruit, then it means that your body doesn't digest it well.