Notifications
Clear all

Zonulin & Factors that increase intestinal permeability (grains, legumes...)

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 05/26/2011 8:18 am

Most people who clear themselves on this forum naturally do it by removing all grains, legumes and dairy from their diet. Some find the need to eliminate all sugars too.

Coincidently, these are the four same foods that gluten-sensitive individuals must eliminate to be 100% healthy over on the Celiac forums. If they just remove wheat, barley and rye, they deal with symptoms of depression, food sensitivities and a hundred other health problems.

I just read a blog by someone who REVERSED DIABETES TYPE 1 (considered incurable) by removing grains and legumes from their diet. I don't think this is a coincidence --- nature never intended humans to eat grains and legumes and dairy and sugar in such vast quantities.

Read blog here: http://michellestype1diabetes.blogspot.com...n-free-cow.html

Here on the acne forums, we are fighting leaky gut syndrome.

In 2009, researchers discovered the protein zonulin which is responsible for intestinal permeability. Now they know that Gliadin (found in wheat) actually regulates the protein zonulin which controls intestinal permeability. Zonulin is now thought to be a protein that plays a large role in a number of autoimmune disorders.

Source: http://www.medkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/nutrit...-and-solanacous

"Lectins and increased gut permeability

Lectins are a family of glycoproteins (a complex protein containing a

carbohydrate combined with a simple protein) found in the plant

kingdom, including grains, legumes and solanacous plants (tomatoes,

potatoes, eggplants and peppers)."

Source: http://www.medkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/nutrit...-and-solanacous

"Gliadin up regulates zonulin (a protein expressed in gut tissue), thereby increasing gut permeability (not only in celiac patients, but also in non-Celaic patients), which is a very important factor underlying T1D2.

Other factors that increase intestinal permeability: "This includes lectins (present in legumes and grains), saponins (found in legumes, potatoes, peppers, alfalfa sprouts, root beer, quinoa and amaranth), and alcohol."

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 04/06/2015 9:41 pm

That's interesting and true. Grains have chemicals that break down your intestinal linking if you overeat grains. I am not sensitive or intolerant to grains, but I am sensitive to soy, added sugars, dairy, and eggs. And a lot more. Grains are one of the only foods I feel safe eating.

Cereals and grains get a bad rep, though. This trending war on gluten is just a huge overreaction which causes a lot of people to avoid it without reason. However, in the world of acne and digestion issues, it is one of the foods most likely to cause reactions. I say just be cautious with what you eat in general. Dairy and eggs are also foods that aren't very easy to digest. GMO's and chemical-fiddled foods are some of the worst you can consume. The best first step is to eat organic.