Notifications
Clear all

Dietary Cure for Acne - Elimination Diet

MemberMember
(@aussieerin)

Posted : 11/14/2010 8:00 pm

A few months back I downloaded the 'Dietary Cure for Acne' and have been slowly moving the entire family over to the Paleo diet. This month we have begun the elimination diet, our primary motive is to journey along with, and support our 15yr old son who suffers from moderate acne. Not hurting our other teens either. Our son's acne is more of the red inflamed acne over his face predominately, breaking out with pimples when he goes on a sugar binge.

Some difficulties we encountered whilst graduating over is 15yr old trains 4xwkly for swimming. At 5am what does he eat? Finally he consented to trialling leftovers with an egg and is finding energy is fine, just as good as with the processed carbs and dairy.

The other to be frank is cost, we are a large family and the children are consuming vast amounts of fruit and vegies. Managing to keep within budget though, but problem is they say they are still hungry particularly the boys and husband, who do burn far more fuel. They are missing bread and potatoes.

I'd love to hear from others who have done this journey. How long before you saw a big difference with the acne once you began the elimination diet? How do you keep big fuel burners satisfied?

Much thanks Erin

MemberMember
(@lihan)

Posted : 11/14/2010 8:54 pm

Very good

MemberMember
(@joris)

Posted : 11/15/2010 3:22 pm

you can convince your parents?? I told them thousands of times why bread isn't good for you and they still say: "why don't you take a slice of bread, its good for you"?

Hard to eat enough? Eat fat (eggs meat fish). Its more energy dense and filling.

ps. you could go with sweet potatoes sometimes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/15/2010 5:32 pm

ps. you could go with sweet potatoes sometimes.

And in the U.S. they will be on sale for the next few months for the holidays.

Sweet potatoes are great for breakfast. I mash and have with olive oil, herbs and spicy salt blend.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/15/2010 6:04 pm

The other to be frank is cost,

Visit the Food and Recipe Index thread for threads full of recipes, ideas what to eat, how to do it on the cheap, lists of hypo-allergenic foods, etc.

Have some meals of dirt cheap dried legumes to help you afford the more expensive items. But note, there are only a couple legumes, such as lentils, that are hypoallergenic. Add other legumes to your diet carefully to note any reactions and be sure you soak and cook them properly.

MemberMember
(@steeler)

Posted : 11/15/2010 7:12 pm

I saw a significant difference with my acne since I stopped wheat and dairy. I was getting a pimple nearly daily for 4 months and since stopping wheat/dairy, no pimples have surfaced. I am on an anti inflammatory diet and I suspect the foods i were eating were causing internal inflammation and it made its way on my skin. However, I have found that I can eat a small amount of dairy (not trying wheat yet) and not have it affect my face.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 11/15/2010 7:58 pm

I've done the journey. I had to do it when I took the LEAP test (a blood test) which is similar to ALCAT but I believe it has been found to be 50% more accurate.

I had to basically go on an elimination and then a 3-day rotational diet. For one week I had to eat rice and lets say yellow squash. I did that until inflammation went down. Then I could add 1 new food in a day according to the results of my test--- each new food picked by the laboratory by my blood sample.

It takes about 6 weeks to add in all the foods again.

I'm still on it.

I found that not only did I break out to protein, but my body had become intolerant to the mango family (mangos, cashews, pishashios), the Lily Family (garlic, onions, chives, etc.). Eventually I also became sensitive to avocados, tomatoes and many others. My diet was becoming quite limited.

I learned that there is an underlying medical problem CAUSING my food sensitivities. For example, mine was Celiac Disease and Hypothyroidism. So now I'm taking supplements to treat my hypothyroidism and I've found that I can suddenly (overnight) eat all these foods without any reaction. Crazy.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 04/06/2015 9:22 pm

OH MY GOSH, DOTTY1! I've been reading about food allergions and gut health n celiac disease and hupothyroidism came up a lot, and I can't eat that Lily Family, either! I've been planning to get the LEAP test. Were you able to eat anything you want after treating that with supplements, or what?

Sigh. Just looked it up. Hypothyroidism is a maybe, Celiac is no, because I apparently can tolerate wheat, and rye, and whatever else. I guess the mediator Release Test will clear it up. I'm guessing they gave you steroid supplements for your hypothyroidism? I'm gonna see if I can get tested for that.