Notifications
Clear all

Niacin is AMAZING for acne!

MemberMember
(@lllhhk)

Posted : 07/05/2011 9:16 pm

http://drbenkim.com/healthy-blood-circulation-ms.htm

Maybe this is why Niacin helps in general.

B3 didn't work for me thgh.

MemberMember
(@pegz)

Posted : 07/05/2011 10:26 pm

pegz: What do you mean by temporarily? Yes, the flush will start to wear off after continued use, but fortunately the flush has nothing to do with healing your acne and is just an inconvenient side effect. You can even take aspirin half an hour before taking the niacin to reduce the flushing.

No, I wasn't talking about the flush at all. I was talking about the effectiveness of Niacin on acne longterm. If you read through this entire thread you'll find that the OP ends up saying that it basically stopped working for him (and he was pretty much the first person here to start using Niacin.)

MemberMember
(@epicdermis)

Posted : 07/07/2011 5:30 pm

Here is a theory proposed by a member here which could link everything together:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/biologica...ne-t145839.html

It's possible that the genetic aspect of acne has to do with how our bodies treat fats. For some people, all fat seems to be stored in the adipose tissue and builds up over time. For others, the liver might secrete LDLs, triglycerides, and so on into the blood, but the lipids are not excreted through the sebaceous glands.

Interestingly, he noted that acne sufferers tend to have decreased risk of heart disease. Many (not all) people with acne also tend to be skinny. It could be that excretion of fats through the sebaceous glands is our bodies' means of lowering serum lipids.

Personally, I am convinced niacin works for me. I'm a little worried about taking high doses without checking in with a doctor, though, because nicotinic acid is a little hard on your liver. I wouldn't take doses any higher than 500 mg, and I'm considering going down to 250 mg.

suli: The flush is pretty painful the first couple of times, but it's completely harmless and just lets you know your body absorbed the niacin.

MemberMember
(@sad_one)

Posted : 07/08/2011 9:32 am

Can you advise me where I can find the proper Niacin. I'm from Europe and I want to ship it. Thank you very much.

MemberMember
(@sad_one)

Posted : 07/08/2011 3:31 pm

Can you advise me where I can find the proper Niacin. I'm from Europe and I want to ship it. Thank you very much.

Sad one, are you asking me? If so, the niacin I mentioned above can be found anywhere I'm sure, online or in stores. Just be sure that in the nutritional facs its reads the Niacin is from *Nicotinic acid. This is the flush and most active form of niacin for the purposes we mentioned above. For best results it is advised that you take it between 4pm or later, when your liver starts metabolizing.

How about this http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=TL-1277 or this one https://www.vitaminworld.com/niacin-735/niacin-500-mg-018645 (there is a label https://www.vitaminworld.com/vf/labels/018645VW.pdf) ?

Thank you for your help

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/08/2011 3:35 pm

Niacin is amazing, I remember the first niacin flush I had... It's funny because I got a REAL niacin flush! I got a batch of a niacin supplement where they had the concentration of the niacin wrong so it was really strong.

I actually took this supplement, a drink and within 5 minutes my arms legs and neck and a few other places on my body turned hot and the skin became red.... It really flushed my body and it actually felt kind of cool.

The dosage I took was way stronger than what is recommended i'm sure but just seeing that and feeling the movement and seeing my skin change like that you know that it's good.

I can see this really helping and benefiting clearing up acne and getting clear skin again.

Niacin also helps with the digestive system as well as the skin which is crucial if you really want to clear up your acne for good so that it doesn't come back.

helps circulation, digestive tract, nervous system and the skin.

Getting it in a supplement is great, but I recommend including it in foods in your diet as well so you get enough of it without thinking about it.

MemberMember
(@tyme)

Posted : 07/08/2011 9:57 pm

it worked for me for a little while but only temporarily. my acne came back...

MemberMember
(@pegz)

Posted : 07/09/2011 12:17 am

it worked for me for a little while but only temporarily. my acne came back...

This is what many people have reported.

MemberMember
(@sad_one)

Posted : 07/09/2011 5:51 am

Sad one, are you asking me? If so, the niacin I mentioned above can be found anywhere I'm sure, online or in stores. Just be sure that in the nutritional facs its reads the Niacin is from *Nicotinic acid. This is the flush and most active form of niacin for the purposes we mentioned above. For best results it is advised that you take it between 4pm or later, when your liver starts metabolizing.

How about this or this one (there is a label ?

Thank you for your help

Sad one, the first one doesn't say what form of niacin it is on the label, and I can't open the page for the second one. Just go into google, click on the "shopping" tab and type in "Nicotinic acid" you will find tons that read this on the label.

On the label written:

Serving Size 1 Caplet

Amount Per Serving %Daily Value

Niacin 500 mg 2,500%

(as Nicotinic Acid)

So I think I should take this one

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 07/09/2011 1:25 pm

its another bandwagon thread!!!!! they are only huge because they are huge!!! its like being famous for being famous, like paris hilton, kardashions, etc, ad nauseam, no talent whores, marginally beautiful, little intelligence, no substance.

kind of like this thread, only, niacin is kind of cool, not for acne though, for raising hdl to treat or prevent heart disease.

MemberMember
(@epicdermis)

Posted : 07/09/2011 2:26 pm

...raising HDLs and lowering LDLs, which, by your own theory, should help prevent acne.

You know what else is a bandwagon? Breathing.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/09/2011 4:10 pm

Niacin also does more,

My first niacin flush was cool, an interesting experience.

It helps improve the digestive system and the digestion and absorption/utilization of fats, proteins and carbohydrates too.

It also improves memory and brain function (kinda cool)

And it also really improves circulation.

On top of that it balances out blood sugar levels which is good because when your blood sugar levels aren't balanced the insulin and androgens cause a hormonal swing which causes too much fluctuation in sebum (oil skin produces) as well as skin cell regeneration and skin cell breakdown (old skin cells) so this is crucial.

Anything that is natural to the body that balances the blood sugar levels is a good thing in clearing up acne.

I made a video sharing my story and how it helps you:

*moderator edit*

Hope this helps you!

David

MemberMember
(@doktrin)

Posted : 07/12/2011 4:44 pm

I actually bought some niacin after coming across that company's press release.

Note that they specifically mention taking 500mg of sustained-release niacin around 10pm.

I will say it did seem to work fairly well, however I grew concerned over taking SR niacin due to the fairly well published (albeit, rare) incidences of liver damage.

IR (immediate release / 'normal') niacin does not pose nearly as much risk, however, and is also incidentally better at raising HDL.

Below is an interesting 2007 study regarding the relationship between cholesterol / total / HDL / LDL / triglycerides and acne :

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...8Dg&cad=rja

TL;DR : 'severe' acne patients have lower HDL and higher LDL than non-acne sufferers. I believe there was also some tentative link regarding triglyceride levels.

Personal anecdote : I recalled a cholesterol blood test from years back when my GP basically said "everything seems allright, but your HDL is a little low".

At the end of the day, I doubt this will eliminate my breakouts (I am having one now, having switched off of the SR niacin).

Bottom line : this is a fairly inexpensive 'cure attempt', and should be safe if practiced conscientiously. If I interpreted the research correctly, incidences of liver damage while on SR niacin occurred in the 1,000mg range. That said, better safe than sorry. The IR formulation should cause no problems at the 500mg dose.

MemberMember
(@nodoc)

Posted : 07/12/2011 5:18 pm

Would it be harmful to take 500mg Niacin along with a dose of 60mg Accutane?

MemberMember
(@doktrin)

Posted : 07/12/2011 7:03 pm

Probably not the best idea.

60mg of Accutane is a not-insignificant burden on your liver as is.

MemberMember
(@getridofmyscars)

Posted : 07/20/2011 11:13 pm

Does niacin help improve your skin tone?

MemberMember
(@mr-healthy)

Posted : 07/27/2011 6:21 pm

Taking niacin has helped me pretty much cure my acne taking it along with other vitamins. 1 other thing that helped my skin was to sweat as much as I could every other day. Now that I have my acne pretty much under control I am trying to get improve my texture and get rid of marks/scars that I have. I barely have any money but I'm saving up. I'm worried I'm going to lose money on something that doesn't work. I'm thinking about saving up enough just to get laser treatment :/

MemberMember
(@fhrostie)

Posted : 08/06/2011 8:12 am

With the aspirin thing, are there any alternatives for it? I found a couple of it in the cabinet saying that it may cause Reye's disease to those that are younger than 19. I'm 17 and really frightened about using it, plus the flush thing. How am I suppose to decrease the effect without aspirins. Help! :(

MemberMember
(@onetwopassit)

Posted : 10/19/2011 5:38 pm

Are broken capillaries a side effect of niacin? I'm assuming it's what all these red marks are.

MemberMember
(@christina1976)

Posted : 09/24/2012 10:52 pm

Hey everybody!

So glad to have found this thread. My acne has never been horrible up until about 1 year ago. Literally out of nowhere, both of my cheeks broke out in huge cysts that never surfaced. I don't know if it was changes in hormones or if it was the stress at the time, but my face started breaking out bad and the cysts never went away - they would just become inflamed for a week or so and go back to looking like normal pimples but NEVER SURFACED. I tried so many things: skincare regimen, diet, birth control, exercise, and while I saw short-term effects it never got rid of the cysts and eventually acne would pop back up. Namely I have 3-4 cysts on my left cheek that have always been there. I have even tried to get them extracted and it didn't work. I've gone to extremes using TCA peels on my cheeks and while it got rid of scarring, cysts never surfaced.

Finally, I decided to try Clinique's 3-step acne system and while it did seem to prevent more new pimples, I still had cysts and I was still getting pimples here or there. I started taking Niacin about a week ago and it has been amazing. I flushed pretty bad the first few days, but I would take the Niacin ten or 20 minutes before I cleansed, toned, and moisturized my face (it is so important to moisturize oily faces - please research if you aren't moisturizing). With niacin, I could almost feel my skin suck in all of the products. Even with the 3-step system and oil-control moisturizer my skin is almost dry. Not too dry, but it definitely doesn't look oily. Most importantly, my cysts have finally surfaced. These are cysts that I have had for OVER A YEAR. Even though they look completely gross as the white head starts to form, I can't be happier that they're finally getting to that point. I'm not breaking out nearly as bad and even as that time of the month is coming around, I'm not experiencing the break outs I'm used to.

Niacin is a great supplement to any skincare regimen. It's still very important to cleanse your face, tone it, and moisturize it as this restores the PH. I believe that Niacin just helps with the products being more effective to your skin and giving your skin the blood flow it needs to breathe and regenerate.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 09/25/2012 4:47 am

Are broken capillaries a side effect of niacin? I'm assuming it's what all these red marks are.

Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not, but if anyone does go the niacin route (using nicotinic acid or any other flushing variety), you should be careful not to overdo it immediately in your pursuit of a quick fix. Gradually work your way up to the 500mg dose over a period of at least a month if not two. I've heard starting out too strong can potentially cause rosacea due to the sudden strain on the capillaries.

And if you take a multi vitamin with this, make sure it's one that is derived from whole, organic, raw foods. New Chapter Organics is a good brand, as well as Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins. I've used both. This way you get the vitamins as they are found in nature, and in the form that can be utilized most effectively by the body. Synthetic vitamins are not the same, and if the bottle doesn't state that the vitamins are from raw foods, they use synthetic vitamins, and incomplete vitamins for that matter.

We are nature, and our body's crave nature in it's purest form

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/25/2012 4:52 am

Not sure if it's been said in this thread or not, but if anyone does go the niacin route (using nicotinic acid or any other flushing variety), you should be careful not to overdo it immediately in your pursuit of a quick fix. Gradually work your way up to the 500mg dose over a period of at least a month if not two. I've heard starting out too strong can potentially cause rosacea due to the sudden strain on the capillaries.

And if you take a multi vitamin with this, make sure it's one that is derived from whole, organic, raw foods. New Chapter Organics is a good brand, as well as Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins. I've used both. This way you get the vitamins as they are found in nature, and in the form that can be utilized most effectively by the body. Synthetic vitamins are not the same, and if the bottle doesn't state that the vitamins are from raw foods, they use synthetic vitamins, and incomplete vitamins for that matter.

We are nature, and our body's crave nature in it's purest form

really? Permanent rosacea?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 09/25/2012 9:12 pm

really? Permanent rosacea?

Am trying to find the source i read that from. Still would be in people's best interest to start slowly as niacin is a major vasodilator (which i'm sure has already been covered in this discussion)

Will continue looking tho

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 09/25/2012 11:02 pm

Niacin can help although like most things megadosing without lifestyle change will not help you in the long run as you need to correct your body and recognize the signs its communicating to you.

Niacin will also have a plateau effect if not managed properly resulting in a tolerance like effect seen with prescription medications or even alcohol. Niaspan is basically a prescription form of Niacin for treatment of Hyperlipedemia or high lipids in the blood.

We should know that sebum is mostly composed of sterols and esters that are made from our triglycerides and other fats within our body. Now i write this as im basically dead from studying and such so don't get mad if im wrong. But by reducing the bad stuff like LDL cholestrol and increasing HDL it is possible/plausible that this effects our sebum make up making it less irriating and prone to causing inflammatory acne.

^So this is for any of those that are thinking of trying it. Just remember to be safe, acknowledge your current health and health problems. Start out with a moderate dose and see if it helps. Changing diet along with could help (you might even go through a detox stage).

Just remember to look for signs and symptoms while taking niacin. Large doses can act just like Rx meds. In Niacin's case it could act just like Niaspan and cause muscle atrophy, soreness, and progressive weakness. These are over time and increase in sedentary people. Most commonly affecting older adults but still watch out for it. And some even have an intolerance for such medications and have severe side effects that are life threatening to to much of a dose.

As far as flushing goes its possible the flushing kind works because the blood vessels dilate and are brought to the skins surface (i believe) and this causes increased blood perfusion. Also *might help lymph drainage. This is a suspected hypothese based on the information i have been reading regarding the lymphatic system and diseases (and acne). Athough that is a separate thread to which i could probably write pages on...

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 02/08/2013 6:13 pm

Hello! I have the following :

Spring Valley Super B Complex

Vit C (ascorbic acid) 180mg

Vit B1 (thiamin mononitrate) 50mg

Vit B2 (riboflavin) 12.5mg

Vit B3 (niacinamind) 50mg

Vit B6 (pyrixodine hydrochloride) 5mg

Folate (folic acid) 400mcg

Vit B12 (cyanocobalamin) 12.5 mcg

Biotin 45mcg

Pantothenic acid (d-calcium pantothenate) 50mg

Is this a good blend? I only take 1 per day..as the B1 says it is 3333% of daily value, so don;t want to be overly aggressive. lol

Thanks!