Notifications
Clear all

Niacin is AMAZING for acne!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/15/2009 11:55 am

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to reconsider about taking no flush niacin. can someone then please post their results with no flush niacin?

All the studies I've seen and the only prescription acne meds I know of use niacinimide.

MemberMember
(@steve-n)

Posted : 07/15/2009 7:33 pm

I couldn't find no-flush or flush-free anywhere near my area. I'll have to look again when I go to a different city in a few days. So right now, I just bought niacin, 500 mg and took it with food. The pharmacist there was very helpful and gave me some tips which were previously mentioned somewhere on this thread (taking it with food / asprin about 30 mins before taking niacin to reduce the flush effect). I'll report back how I feel later on!

Edit: Man my entire arms went RED, but for some reason my face wasn't red at all, just my ears and the surrounding area were. Anyways, I donno but my face looks better even just after the flush. As a matter of fact, I feel good everywhere lol.

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/15/2009 11:42 pm

yeah i noticed that too! the flush doesnt make your face red, it just makes my ears feel kinda weird and heavy. you can definitely see the rash on your arms legs and chest though.

personally i wouldnt take aspirin before taking niacin. its practically useless and its just another pill that your body has to work harder to breakdown.

MemberMember
(@trippspawn)

Posted : 07/16/2009 11:32 am

So then since I agree with Swits, couldn't we just take it right before we go to bed? I don't see why not. I know that's already been said but it would appear that some people still choose to take it in the day and I don't see the benefit of that, I guess.

Edit: Irrelevant, I ended up getting the flush-free because...well because my store didn't have the "flush" variation. =P

Hopefully it is effective.

MemberMember
(@yero)

Posted : 07/17/2009 1:25 pm

Im 20 y/o male with persistently mild acne since puberty. 3 Days ago I stopped using BP and now just take 500mg Niacin (the flush kind) I've had 1 new pimple that was tiny and went away as soon as it came. Ive noticed a big difference already. This is definitely something to investigate. The flush is not that bad, my ears get alittle hot and itchy for 20 mins.

Something I came across. "Nicotinamide has demonstrated anti-inflammatory actions which may be of benefit in patients with inflammatory skin conditions.[4] These conditions include acne vulgaris, and the compound can suppress antigen induced-lymphocytic transformation and inhibit of 3'-5' cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase. Nicotinamide has demonstrated the ability to block the inflammatory actions of iodides known to precipitate or exacerbate inflammatory acne"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide

MemberMember
(@rsxboi)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:34 am

I have looked everywhere for niacin with flush and have had NO luck..It's all No flush crap.

MemberMember
(@thestrongwillprevail)

Posted : 07/18/2009 11:53 am

Really, i had no trouble finding normal B-3( Niacin), update: if anyone cares: i will begin taking Normal B-3 Niacin tonight after not seeing much affect with the no flush kind, from what i gather most positive results come from the normal niacin rather than no flush, please keep in mind that no flush is niacin in the form of inositol hexaconate, it differs from niacinamide which is niacin that has been formulated to not cause a flush, however this form of niacin may be somewhat toxic to the liver, hence my reason for not trying it and just dealing with the flush , hopefully the flush is beneficial to me and some results are seen.....

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/18/2009 12:26 pm

Update:

My skin is really kicking my ass right now. I just broke out around my upper lips which never used to happen but that may be because I switched my shaving cream. I can take 500mg without flushing now and I'll continue to take them. Im going up to a cottage for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to get a lot of sun and I'll be washing my face with Cetaphil from now on.

MemberMember
(@yummymummy)

Posted : 07/18/2009 3:09 pm

Have you got the name of the internet site where i can purchase it from. Thanks

Is it really that good then? I have just had a baby and my skin has broken out as i have finished breast feeding. Im n ot sure whether my acne is hormonal or not? Is Niacin only for severe acne would you say? I feel weird taking it in so high quantities. Can it be dangerous?

MemberMember
(@yummymummy)

Posted : 07/18/2009 3:15 pm

Any idea where i can get it from in the uk. Im getting married in Nov and am desperate to find something to control my breakouts till then. Do you think it be ok to use it up until i decide to try for a baby after the wedding. Or do i have to wait few months for it to get out of my body?

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/18/2009 4:08 pm

What is the consensus: flush or no flush? We should keep tabs on which users are using what source of niacin, and then track their progress.

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 07/18/2009 8:40 pm

I bought a bottle of 250 mg Niacin (with Flush). I took one half at noon and the other half after dinner a few minutes ago. Describing the flush as a pretty bad sunburn is spot on to how it feels! It never lasted over 20 minutes for me. My skin feels amazing after the flush, just as if I didn't even have acne! It also seems like it's healing very fast. I have a great feeling about this stuff. I will post an update after a few more days.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/18/2009 8:49 pm

I took 200mg of the nicotinic acid around 6pm, and nothing happened at all after that. I watched around 6:30pm and 7:00pm, but no flush :(

MemberMember
(@intotherain)

Posted : 07/18/2009 9:31 pm

I bought a 250mg bottle of Niacin at Walgreens (Finest Naturals) that is "Timed Release"

I couldn't find any that weren't.

The other choices for Niacin were all labeled "No Flush" so I went with this one because it did not. The back also says "In some persons symptoms of flushing or warm feeling may occur immediately after dosage which usually disappear in a short period of time"

Will this work fine?

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 07/18/2009 9:49 pm

I bought a 250mg bottle of Niacin at Walgreens (Finest Naturals) that is "Timed Release"

I couldn't find any that weren't.

The other choices for Niacin were all labeled "No Flush" so I went with this one because it did not. The back also says "In some persons symptoms of flushing or warm feeling may occur immediately after dosage which usually disappear in a short period of time"

Will this work fine?

That should be fine. I would split the tablet in half and just take a half at one time of the day and the other half later in the day. If you find it works for you, take the whole tablet after a few days.

MemberMember
(@intotherain)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:11 pm

how many minutes does it take for you to feel the flush like symptoms?

MemberMember
(@optimus-prime)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:16 pm

Im gonna start taking this tomorrow. Will be posting up results. Hope it works.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:29 pm

how many minutes does it take for you to feel the flush like symptoms?

30-60 minutes.

MemberMember
(@intotherain)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:56 pm

I took 250mg timed release niacin 60 min ago and I haven't felt anything.

Is this bad?

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:58 pm

Is this bad?

What form is your niacin as?

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 07/18/2009 11:03 pm

Is this bad?

Haha, if it's "timed release" it will take however long it says. It SHOULD say it on there. I think some go for 8 hours..

MemberMember
(@intotherain)

Posted : 07/18/2009 11:09 pm

it says "a gradual release over an extended period of time"

I'm having doubts whether this will work.

Should I stick to this or should I get the insta release kind?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/18/2009 11:14 pm

My friend does niacin flushes before she get's pee tested for drugs.

Do you think it's possible that the regular widening and shrinking of the capillaries could ever do damage to them?"broken capillaries"?

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/19/2009 2:42 pm

Wow this shit is crazy. I took 300mg at 12:40, and around 2:30 I thought to myself...wow my saliva feels watery (like during a nausea spell), and then I looked at my arms and bam! red and rashy allllll over. Looks kind of gross/cool.

MemberMember
(@douchebag44rocketmail-com)

Posted : 07/19/2009 5:18 pm

Omg what if you begin to flush when your at work or on a date or sumfin wouldn't people be like wtf ?

Jeez that shits crazy, in a totally hypocritical twist though has anyone seen a substantial decrease in their oil production ?